16-Bit Demon Prince and Haggle Man music

Discussion in 'Skins' started by TheomanZero, Sep 17, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

SMBC's sound emulator can't play DS music files, so Demon Prince and Haggle Man use music from Gimmick! and the Sega Master System Ninja Gaiden, respectively (as far as I know, Jay just picked games he liked that sounded appropriate). At the moment, their 16-bit versions also use this 8-bit music.

I thought that perhaps we could discuss SNES games that could be used for 16-bit Demon and Haggle Man's soundtracks. If there's a skin you don't think has much chance of making it into the game, this could be a chance to at least get the music in! (But try to keep it at least vaguely relevant to the character.)

My suggestions:

Demon Prince: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (because it's spooky, and because Ghosts 'n Goblins was one of the inspirations for Demon Returns)
    Haggle Man: Legend of the Mystical Ninja (because it's about ninjas and kind of goofy)

(Actually, for that matter, since the SMS Ninja Gaiden music is already being used by SMS Ryu, maybe 8-bit Haggle Man could use the soundtrack from one of the Famicom Goemon games.)

Mitewing, MissingNo2 and Dimpsy like this.
  2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I'll try getting hold of a ROM of RGC2 and extracting the music files.
    EDIT: Done, let's find that music...
    EDIT 2: It seems to have extracted the SFX as sequence files too, so I'm just playing all until I recognise the music for Demon Returns.
    EDIT 3: OMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOGMGOMGOGMGOMGOGMOGMGOMGOGMGOMG I FOUND THE TITLE THEME
    AND IT'S THIS FAR DOWN
    [​IMG]
    EDIT 4: And because the file sorter doesn't read hexadecimal, the other songs are down here:
    [​IMG]

3. TheomanZero

Uh, thanks, but the files won't do us any good unless they're in one of these formats:
    FormatSystem
    AY ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC
    GBS Nintendo Game Boy
    GYM Sega Genesis, Mega Drive
    HES NEC TurboGrafx-16, PC Engine
    KSS MSX Home Computer, other Z80 systems (doesn't support FM sound)
    NSF, NSFE Nintendo NES, Famicom (with VRC 6, Namco 106, and FME-7 sound)
    SAP Atari systems using POKEY sound chip
    SPC Super Nintendo, Super Famicom
    VGM, VGZ
    Sega Master System, Mark III, Sega Genesis, Mega Drive, BBC Micro

4. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Actually I think they confirmed that they're using a version that doesn't work with the TG-16, Master System, and ZX Spectrum (And Amstrad CPC). I think they did say that Genesis can work, but it's files are so huge.

5. TheomanZero

The point is, the DS doesn't use any of those sound formats.

6. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

Extracting and/or converting the actual Demon Returns and Haggleman soundtracks would be beyond awesome, but if it can't be done without months of research and coding and stuff, it's comprehensible why is wasn't done. I've tried to extract its music myself, but I couldn't find any sound/music files other than two files called "sound_retro.sdat" and "sound_system.sdat" which I couldn't find out how to open up. :rolleyes:

Anyway, for Demon Prince, I'd suggest using music from another Sunsoft game, just to combine with its 8-bit skin. There's multiple titles from a franchise called Hebereke/U-Foria on the Super Famicom. One of those could be used. As for Haggleman... I have no idea. :blank:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. Faruga

Patron

To respond to you guys (ESPECIALLY to theoman, who just doesn't seem to get it just yet):
    I used ndssndext to not only extract teh sound, but also to convert them into MIDIs. I then sent some of the MIDIS to Blaine.
    This way, we can remake them as NSFs.

8. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

I knew you were going to do that, considering you have Famitracker and were in the progress of remaking Rokko Chan's OST into NSFs.

9. Faruga

Patron

I didn't say I was gonna do it.
    I might though.
    I'll use the same folder.

10. TheomanZero

I thought that was really difficult.

11. Faruga

Patron

Well, it isn't.
    [​IMG]

MissingNo2 likes this.
  12. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

My vote is not to use the Super Ghouls and Ghosts music for Demon, for a couple of reasons: (1) The game is way too well-known; I think I'd prefer any "repurposed" music like this to be obscure, and (2) part of me still holds out hope for Arthur to be part of the game eventually.

If you want to have something kind of spooky for Demon, how about the soundtrack from Spawn?

As for Haggle Man, I think the soundtrack from Ninja Warriors Again would be a good fit.

ThomasMink, MissingNo2 and World 1-1 like this.
  13. TheomanZero

Could the Super Demon Returns music be converted to SPCs?

14. Faruga

Patron

Yes, unless you want me to do it. Because there isn't an easily accessible Super Famitracker. If you find one, post it here plz

15. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

According to my understanding of SNES instruments, they are created using samples, much like how synths do nowadays.

16. Faruga

Patron

I already knew that. I just don't know how to put them together and compile into a spc.
    Can the next person please link to an actual program/compiler?

17. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Oh heck Ninja Warriors? Yes pwease! That would be like the most perfect of perfect EVER! It like fits in every possible ways! I totally forgot about that game.

World 1-1 likes this.
  18. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Me too! My cousin had that game.