Implemented 8-4 background (+ skin modes)

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mew, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mew

Mew Level 2: Koopa

Salutations. Been watching the development of the game for quite a while and I've been pleasantly surprised by how much detail and variety the game now have.

Still, I noticed a little detail and thought of pointing it out since I noticed it wasn't pointed out in any other thread I could notice. So I decided to register and post about it.

Basically... when one switch the console/graphics mode for the maps, the results are rather accurate-ish in general. But I noticed a particular point of weirdness regarding 8-4.

Namely, 8-4 use the standart castle background instead of using the final castle background.

(for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Standart castle

[​IMG]
    Final castle
    )

For a while, I was thinking of only chalking it up to wanting to save space... but I noticed that many of the stages with unique backgrounds (such as 8-3 or how the Super Mario Land 2 & SMB3 tilesets change the overworld tileset for every world) were implemented. So I'm wondering why 8-4 in SNES SMB1 mode does not have the SNES 8-4 background.

Another thing was a suggestion regarding skins. Not an actual skin but more in the way to apply them. There is already a 'randomized every stage' skin mode but I think it would be nice if there was a 'randomized every world' skin mode (mostly the same but swap when you clear a world instead of when you beat a stage).

Another thing is more related to old Vs new skins. I noticed that in the recent version, map and enemy skins are only related to various Mario graphic types (while I believe that older versions had map skins for each character). Is it just me who didn't look well enough in the menus or was this an intentional removal? Not that it bother me immensely but considering the new versions is basically adding stuff compared to the older versions, I'm wondering why that particular point was removed.

Anyway, I hope all of the above is relevent.

(NOTE: I was not sure where this thread should be so if it should be posted elsewhere, I apologize.)

Rey D likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Interesting. It should indeed apply the same way. I'm however intriguedby those walls which aren't currently in SMBC.

→ Yeah I guess that'd be nice.

→ No actually SMBC 2.0 had the same theme, map, interface and ennemy skins from the beginning. The other themes you saw were probably the custom random ones from before 2.0 .

Oh and I think this should go in the "feature" sub-forum. Want me to ask a mod to move it?

3. Mew

Mew Level 2: Koopa

Well, it would be appreciated indeed.

As for the walls, this is because I couldn't find a screenshot from the actual SMB1 8-4 castle. So this is actually from Lost Levels's 8-4 (the SNES version of Lost Levels use the exact same graphics as SMB1 SNES).

Rey D likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The 8-4 background was probably just an oversight. I'm sure it'll be no trouble to put that in (and I agree that it should be put in).