Request 8 Level mode

Discussion in 'Features' started by s4ad0w, Jan 31, 2012.

1. s4ad0w

s4ad0w Level 0: Newbie

Kinda thinking, why not have like a 8 level mode, where each world is one long level?

So, rather than getting a flagpole at the end of each stage, you automatically start at the next world (For 1-1 to 1-2, you force players to enter the pipe) Only ending a level after each Bowser fight!

2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

This all over. Also, don't make it so the "ends" are checkpoints, cause that would defeat the point.

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This is actually a really interesting idea.

I would say that the regular checkpoints (i.e., beginning and midway) should still exist in case of death, but otherwise you just keep going.

4. uglyrodent

If it were at the beginning, this would pretty much erase any change since if you die before a midway checkpoint, you would go to the start of the level. I do agree it is a bit weird without them though.

s4ad0w likes this.
  5. Sniperassassinx

Sniperassassinx Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

agreed

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I suppose it could be an 8-Level Marathon mode, where the only checkpoints are at the beginning of each level, for a total of 8 (or 9, if there is one at the beginning of the last castle, or even 16, with one at the beginning of each castle). The time limit would likely have to be removed in this mode.

huang17 and uglyrodent like this.
  7. uglyrodent

That would be pretty cool. Another idea along similar, though technically unrelated lines would be to have a cheat where the levels just lead in to each other (you're going and BAM the tiles become underground and you're in 1-2), but I realize why this would never reasonably happen.

8. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This sounds awesome. Maybe Jay can make it for a new difficulty level... "European Extreme"

uglyrodent likes this.
  9. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Make all 32 levels one long level and call it "Japanese Extreme" lol.

edit: with no checkpoints. You could call that one "You think you're hot shit??"

Yes, I am serious... the whole game in one go.

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

That's a really neat idea to have continuous levels.

11. s4ad0w

s4ad0w Level 0: Newbie

I was kinda thinking like this:

Super Easy: Checkpoints at the same locations as in levels (And at the start)
    Easy: Checkpoints at the start of each level only
    Normal: Checkpoints every 2 or 3 levels
    Hard: Checkpoints after each castle
    Very Hard: NO CHECKPOINTS!

I was also thinking of keeping each "Hit punishment". (So, Super Easy and Easy still only knock you down one level of power... and Very Hard still kills you in one hit regardless of what power you're at)

Which means that Very Hard becomes: One HIT, and you START THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME OVER!!!!

huang17 and uglyrodent like this.
  12. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Level 5: Spiny

This sounds awesome. The warp zones could still work, even. And harder modes could disable them.

I like the idea of calling it "Marathon" mode. Awesome stuff.

13. Frozsoul

On this topic, another possibility for this mode would be if the screen scrolled with your character when warp pipes and vine areas areas are accessed, to further allow continuous gameplay.

14. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I don't think the size of the bonus areas matches their positions in the level.

15. Frozsoul

Could it not follow from the VG maps?
    Example: World 1-2

uglyrodent likes this.
  16. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, it would mean adding extra piping, as that picture shows. I'm not sure that would work for the cloud bonuses, though . . .

17. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Cool idea this one, but i think the "Checkpoint" difficulty should be separated from the Current One.
    This would make the game more "MetroidVania-ish" Levels