About Megaman's Jump

Discussion in 'Game' started by blobzie, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blobzie

blobzie Level 0: Newbie

I was playing SMCrossover at Newgrounds then i finished first level

a message popped up and i clicked yes then it directed me to new version game.

After loading of game finished, i started to play again from the first level and realized MEGAMANS JUMP is LOWERED.

I think the old jump was good for everything.

Sorry but that dog is useless. I press C and fucking dog teleport 15-20 pixels far from me.

Like i need to jump somewhere but dog don't teleport to good locations.

Jump with dog is also low.

I was really happy to play this game with my favorite character with my favorite game and everything is ruined...

My life is officially over...

2. Alkerion

Alkerion Level 2: Koopa

Come on, the Rush Coil lets you jump higher than anybody else. That's got to be good for something, right?

Anyway, to solve the problem of Rush teleporting straight into a pit rather than solid ground, hold up when summoning him in to make him appear at your side rather than away from you. It helps a lot!

3. rednukleus

rednukleus Level 3: Paratroopa

Nice rant, I laughed :) Can you access the old version easily enough? I recommend holding onto it because Jay said for sure the low jump is permanent.

4. Ravior

Ravior Level 8: Hammer Bro

I think this whole thing could be solved with toggle. How about an option that allows you to turn on and off his version 1.0 jump? Of course doing so would mean you won't have Rush anymore. So you have to choose: Moon-Jump Mega Man with no Rush (including Marine and Jet when they are released), or normal-jump Mega Man with Rush and his other two modes.

5. Zeon Twilight

Zeon Twilight Level 1: Goomba

I kinda have to agree with OP. I mean I know about summoning Rush right to where you're standing, but I still don't really care for it personally. Maybe once I can use Rush Jet too it'll like it better, but till then, Megaman went from top class to almost no class.

6. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

That was the point of the downgrade. He was too powerful. I think he overshot his goal with the jump. Maybe a tad higher, and with more bullet damage, but I think it was a good way to include a good aspect from Mega Man and balance the character. Though it IS really annoying. That was just the analytical aspect of it.
    If Mega Man is your favorite character, you should have noticed that Rush's teleporting mechanics are the same as the original game. I never found it to be a problem.

7. Hold up when you hit C, and Rush will drop down right on top of you.

People get so fucking melodramatic about this shit... Megaman still plays fine. He just actually has a weakness now.

8. J Squared

J Squared Level 7: Bloober

Jay Pavlina doesn't intend to offer any alternative jumping options to Rush Coil, just so you all know.

You can resolve your issue by playing the version still hosted at Newgrounds, in which Mega Man's jump mechanics are better suited to your play preferences. The advantage of the Rush Coil added in v1.1 is that it lets you jump very high, which is a plus. If you're annoyed by the slow speed at which Rush comes down, try pressing the Z and C keys simultaneously. While it doesn't make Rush come down any faster, it does maximize your jumping efficiency, since you'll land on him almost as soon as possible. Hope this helps.

9. thecatreturns123

thecatreturns123 Level 9: Spike Top

Ah, but what if I like the new features? I think the rush coil and new jumping mechanics should be on toggle.
    The panda was recalled due to an administrative error. :oops:

10. JinnTolser

JinnTolser Level 2: Koopa

I too preferred Mega Man with a higher jump and not having to rely on Rush. He's at best my #5 choice on this game anyway (though he was the first one I played when I first loaded up the game, because I love the classic MM series), but now that his jumping sucks horribly I find playing as him even less appealing.

For those saying he was "too powerful" before, or "at least he has a weakness now," can you please elaborate? The way I see it, he was already outclassed by Samus, Bill, and Simon Belmont even before version 1.1 upgraded Samus and Simon, introduced Ryu (who also leaves Mega Man in the dust), and nerfed Mega Man further. Why do you see Mega Man as needing to be toned down?

11. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Mega Man had the best jumping in the game. Simon's and Bill's are a little hard to control (though Simon's is better now, we're discussing 1.0). Samus and Link's jumps were not too high, and didn't need any restrictions. But Mega Man was able to clear the largest gaps without any challenge. The higher the character jumped, the more limitations on that jump. But Mega Man bounded through thee air as if gravity didn't apply to him. I wouldn't say he was broken, per se, but he could've stood to be weakened in his jumps.

12. J Squared

If you like the new features, you can play v1.1. If you feel like using the old features, play v1.0. Jay Pavlina has made the decision to exclude a toggle, and to leave the mechanics as-is. You're free to disagree, but that's how it's going to be. Sorry if the news is disappointing.

I think that, were Rush added from the beginning, you guys wouldn't have an issue with it. For the most part people like things as they were, so for any change to SMBC, there'll be people conservative of version X - 1 who want it the way it was. However, if you guys adapt to change, these things will grow on you.

I have no problem with this discussion, but I think it'd be better suited to moranoDGV's tiers topic, so that this thread doesn't turn into a debate over which characters are better.

In closing, I do recommend people take the following advice. It might not fix the issue you have with v1.1 of Super Mario Bros. Crossover, but it should help.

13. JinnTolser

JinnTolser Level 2: Koopa

I just don't see it. Mega Man's jumping was just right. Simon's was a bit goofy because you couldn't steer it (in the original version) after you jumped, so you were pretty much locked into the direction you were moving when you jumped, at least until you double jump (which you pretty much have to do every time you jump anyway since Simon's single jump is really, really horrible).

I'll concede that Bill's jump is less than ideal, though it's still better than the way Mega Man is now. With his tiny jump now, Mega Man is really tough to get through certain places. World 2-3 (already a stage that makes me groan when I go through it) is a nightmare with the blue bomber now.

14. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Are the people complaining about Mega Man's jump using a keyboard or gamepad? I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you're using the keyboard. If you're using a gamepad, Mega Man feels just right. Sorry, but the game is designed for play with a gamepad, and under those circumstances, Mega Man's jumping doesn't feel annoying at all. That's how I feel anyway.

15. 100% accurate!

I've noticed anything people complain about as far as jumping, has to be those who play with the keyboard, because I tried playing with keyboards just to see if it was drastically different and it was. I have no problem jumping with Bill or or Megaman when I use the gamepad, but when I use a keyboard... it's a pain in the ass

I remember so many people complaining and I couldn't figure out why because the jumping always seemed dead on perfect to me... but that's because I use a gamepad

16. Invertin

Invertin Level 3: Paratroopa

I'm using a keyboard and-

Megaman's jumping is perfect. Using Rush only slows you down if you aren't prepared for the jump height, and it does not take long to get used to it.

17. dudejo

dudejo Level 1: Goomba

while it's somewhat annoying to need the Rush Coil when the other characters can clear the same jump normally, you have a major advantage here that's not available in the original Mega Man game.

Rush Coil is "hotkeyed" to a separate button like in the 32-bit Mega Man games (helped further by the fact that you don't need to switch between other special weapons). with some training, you CAN implement Rush into your normal jumping routine.

18. Ravior

Ravior Level 8: Hammer Bro

After using a gamepad, I don't even want to use a key board any more. The only imprefection Mega Man has when using a gamepad is when the controller glitches up because there's too much stuff going on on the computer. Other than that it's perfect.

19. J Squared

You may be more experienced at playing games on a keyboard than the majority of people here.

As a general reply to all of you guys, a base formula which could approximate how awkward people find Mega Man's jump on a keyboard vs. a gamepad might be as follows. Let X equal the estimated amount of gamepad hours spent platforming, and let Y equal the same except with a keyboard. Let Z equal X / Y. For the reader, Z should roughly represent how many times more awkward a keyboard is than a gamepad.

20. nicpen

nicpen Level 5: Spiny

Keep Megaman the way he is. His jumping was lowered not to make him less powerful, but to make him handle exactly the way he did in his games. This has been done. Perfectly. Playing this game as Megaman, then playing an NES Megaman game, there is very little difference in the way he acts. This is exactly how he should be, and Jay has done a wonderful job in making him this way. (Not to mention, with the additions of Rush Jet and Rush Marine apparently being planned for a future release, playing as Megaman could be a very unique experience.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.