Request Add Life Counter to HUD

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Jan 21, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Nothing fancy, just "X (number)" next to the character's name (MARIO X 3, for example). A life counter is a pretty standard HUD feature, and the lack of it in the original SMB is pretty odd by modern standards. It'd be nice to know how many lives you have at any time, instead of waiting until you die or complete a level.

huang17 likes this.
  2. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I completely agree! This was actually a feature I had requested in the Wiki. It could appear in the blank spot above where the number of coins is displayed, in the same format that it appears on the character select screen.

3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I have been using a life counter in SB's hud for about two months now.
    Here's how i use it:
    Untitled.png
    I just modified the title screen select dot to 8x8, and that place is empty anyways. It is very likely the original SMB could have had a counter like that in an early version.

But the Crossover is now using this new Hud layout which is better, and there may be already a life counter in it.

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

A cursory glance at the trailer reveals, sadly, that it does not.

5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah, that's why I posted this thread. It looks like there's room for it, though. And I suppose the Sonic Boll style could work as well (though I would ultimately prefer the "MARIO X 3" style, as the current HUD seems to be asking for it).

Omicron and uglyrodent like this.