Considering Add SMB:Special along with The Lost Levels

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Quite a few of us on the forum is in support of this feature. Having such an obscure part of Mario's history included for everyone to properly experience would be groundbreaking. By properly, I mean created as if it was an actual NES game without the poor physics and non-scrolling screen that was because of the limitations of the PC on which it was originally created.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Man, until a year or two ago I had never even heard of Super Mario Bros. Special, and now everyone's talking about it on these forums. I had no idea there was such a cult following for this game.
    Anyway, if Jay is willing to do this, I guess I'm in favor of it. The new enemies shouldn't be too hard to program (I think?) but the new power-ups might be a problem. Could someone who's really familiar with this game explain all of the new enemies and power-ups here, for reference purposes?
    (By the way, I'm thinking that for everyone except the Mario Bros., the new power-ups will just give them random items like the Fire Flower.)

3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

That's interesting. I remember it played as bad as the Omegaman Trials and even the original hardware had timing issues. But i do know the levels were different, mostly due to the scrolling. Maybe the level will look like sausage when scrolling is enabled.

4. Mitewing

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

this would sort of work in more ways than one. It would add more levels to play but also please the people who keep asking for more power ups for mario.

Mitewing likes this.
  6. TheomanZero

You know, after seeing those other power-ups, they seem like the kind of things everyone could use -- especially since they're temporary.

7. Mitewing

Except the hammer and maybe the wing.

8. TheomanZero

I think the Wing could just give everyone underwater physics for a limited time.

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Mitewing

That's true. So the Hammer would be exclusive to the Mario Bros. Since the powerups rarely appear, I wouldn't mind seeing it to be an option for them to appear randomly alongside the mushroom/flower. I must stress it should be a cheat for them to appear in theSMB and LL.

10. TheomanZero

Eh . . . I'd rather keep them exclusive to SMBS myself.
    Although . . . I'm not entirely convinced the Hammer can't be used by everyone. It's also temporary, right?

11. Mitewing

The Hammer acts like the DK Hammer. How could anyone else use it without a bunch of custom sprites? It lasts several seconds but then Mario throws it up and it can be used again I think. There's a playthrough video on YouTube that shows exactly how it works.

12. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I'm looking at a playthrough on Youtube, and Mario's sprite doesn't actually change when he has the hammer. So there's no reason anyone else couldn't use it; it'd look as goofy on them as it does on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=1SIGvrzpcfA&t=0388

Scorpion42 and TheomanZero like this.
  13. Mitewing

14. TheomanZero

After seeing this, I really don't see any reason why anyone else couldn't use the hammer. It's sort of like an alternative to the Starman, in a way. Maybe only the Mario Bros. could throw and catch it?

15. Mitewing

The only reason I think it's poorly animated is because of the shitty computers it was released on. We have a precedent in DK on hoe the Hammer should be. I still should be a Mario Bros exclusive powerup.

16. TheomanZero

Um, in DK the Hammer only had two frames of animation. The only difference between that and this is that DK also made Mario's arms move up and down.
    The big thing to me is that the Hammer is separate from the Fire Flower -- it's not a permanent power-up, just a temporary bonus on the same lines as the Starman. Since everyone can get the Starman, I think everyone should be able to get the Hammer.

17. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Only the Mario Bros should use the Hammer.

Otherwise I would want SMB2J levels first before Special.

Mitewing likes this.
  18. Mitewing

I have to agree with Crownjo. I think for this game the Bros should have at least one, unique powerup. And nothing is more unique or iconic than the Hammer. As I said before the game should be remade like an NES game, and that would include better animation for the Mario Bros. So their arms should move up and down.

19. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Apologies if this is a big bump, but as a big-time supporter of Special (Mainly for it's creative methods of level design not possible in the original or Lost Levels, plus items and enemies), I'd highly enjoy if Special's 32 levels made it into Crossover.

As for the Hammer, I think yes, now that you mention it, it does seem like a (rarer) variation of the Star, but it only gives protection where it swings, it doesn't shield you from behind or below.

In other terms, if god forbid someone wants to remake these levels, I can provide a small guidance on how Special could be re-made with faith to the original and ironing out many flubs the original game contained, as well as how the enemies and items from Special could be programed in. For the meantime, I'll leave you with tilesets for both the PC88 and Sharp X1 versions of SMBS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mitewing likes this.
  20. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Zach already said he will use the SMB colors. Not Special's.