Considering Add SMB:Special along with The Lost Levels

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

That may be, but these look like they could or even should be turned into skins! :awesome:

Mitewing and Crownjo like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Sure makes sense to me. Lost Levels is going to be a skin, after all, so it's only fair.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

When I move to the laptop today, I am SO going to turn these into skins.
    Also, what's the difference between a bump and a big bump?
    EDIT: This is what I have so far on the PC88 version:
    SMBS PC88.png
    And now I will have breakfast.
    EDIT: I finished the theme for PC88, but the discussion continues on the map skin thread.

TheomanZero, sbq92 and Mitewing like this.
  4. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

That tileset is great and I agree with the other guys they should be made into skins. Do you have skins for enemies and items?

5. Faruga

Patron

Not me. Super justinbros didn't give any enemy or item sheets. Or, for that matter, Mario sheets.

6. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

These look great, and yea I would like if the two Special variants became skins. However I don't have much desire to rip player/enemy graphics from Special, so for that matter most of what can be done will be based on re-coloring existing character sprites into the very limited palettes of the two versions.

The PC88 version actually only displays four colors; Red, Blue, Yellow, and Black, though it projects two colors into one pixel, giving the illusion of Orange, Purple, Grey, and Dark Blue.

As for the Sharp X1 version, it has RGB Black, White, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Cyan, and Magenta, each value set at either 255 or nothing.

7. sbq92

Awesome! :D

I can't tell, did you adjust the colors of the platforms? They don't appear to be in the sheets, but they should be recolored according to the palette (so, red/yellow/grey?).

8. Faruga

Patron

Interesting.
    Anyway, I found NO (yes, NO) SMBS on tSR (are you able to submit yer tilesets, SJB?), one PC88 sheet on MFGG and one Sharp sheet on MFGG. The PC88 sheet is 2x size (should I recolour the multi-colour bits to the colours on your sheet?) and contains Mario, the Mushrooms, the Fire Flower, Fire Mario's colours, the fireball, Goombas, both Koopa colours, and Bowser. Interestingly, the Sharp sheet (which contains the smiling Star and other Special-exclusive stuff which means no Mario) mentions that SMBS is on VGMaps. I found the Sharp X1 maps (that's our enemy recolours right there!) and am still looking for the PC88 maps.
    EDIT: VGMaps doesn't have any NEC PC-8801 maps.
    EDIT 2: Apparently, all of the sprites in SMBS are 2x size...

sbq92 likes this.
  9. sbq92

Sharp X1 enemy sheet:
    Enemy_Special_SharpX1.png

The red Piranha Plant was a guess, as were the closed mouthed ones, although they are colored according to the open mouth ones.

10. Faruga

Patron

Guess I'll have to do the Sharp one on the laptop, it doesn't wanna connect to the Internet.
    EDIT: Ah, there we go.
    SMBSTilesRawSharpX1.png
    WIP Sharp X1 theme and map skin coming soon.

11. Superjustinbros

I should mention one of the coins on the Sharp X1 tileset I posted has a "Junk Pixel".

And as for the PC88 enemies, re-coloring based on the PC88 tileset with Youtube videos as (possible) references may work, though I'm not certain.

Another thing to throw in for anyone uncertain of their existance; the bright tiles atop the tree tiles in my tileset are the trees used in levels with black backgrounds.

12. Faruga

Patron

I love that idea! Also...
    SMBS PC-88 Mario.png
    Portrait will be done in a moment.

Crownjo likes this.
  13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

The colors in the Sharp X1 version looks orangey. It makes me think this is what dusk looks like in the Mushroom Kingdom.

sbq92 likes this.
  14. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Funny how they used dithering.

And even that thing has a better yellow than the NES.

15. Faruga

Patron

Final collection for today:
    SMBS PC88 map.png SMBS PC88 theme.png SMBS PC88.png SMBS PC-88 Mario.png

Mitewing, Crownjo and TheomanZero like this.
  16. Superjustinbros

17. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

This topic is full of win now.

Mitewing likes this.
  18. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

indeed. this would be a good addition to the game, if/when special is added.
    though if it were, a "special skin" lets say, should be made for the other characters. i guess...could be simple? just use that palette?

sbq92 likes this.
  19. Superjustinbros

Yep.

20. sbq92

Something like this?

MegaMan_SharpX1.png

Or this?

Link_SharpX1.png