Considering Add SMB:Special along with The Lost Levels

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Thought I'd give a few skins; whether or not they're in SMBC, a PC88 style for the fun of it.
    [​IMG]
    Protoman, Pitfall Harry, Pit, and Orin all in PC88 style. I didn't make full sheets yet, but I'll probably do Orin and Harry myself. As for Protoman and Pit, you're on your own.

Superjustinbros likes this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The dithering style of the PC88 version can't actually be properly replicated in SMBC. It also looks horrible. :p We went with the Sharp X1 version because it looks better and can actually be replicated properly.

TheomanZero, Rey D and MissingNo2 like this.
  3. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Even if the differing of a PC88 title couldn't be reflected in SMBC, you could still do the resulting colors based on the dithering. And even if the Sharp X1 version has a more appealing color palette (though limited to only one RGB value per pixel, unlike the PC88 version, but can do cyan, green, magenta, and white as well), the PC88 version is more known. Sure the available color palette for said version is crap, but It's the one Mr. Podobo did a LP of, it's the one most people on Youtube and other gaming sites tend to touch, and it's the one I myself was most familiar with back in early 2010.

Plus, the resolutions of both the PC88 and X1 versions are identical, the PC88 sprites are only larger to allow the dithering effect, and if shrunk by 1/2, it's a perfect replica of the Sharp X1 version, minus the colors. When I ported SMBS to Mari0, I had both PC88 and Sharp X1 versions, and with the PC88 version, I didn't replicate the dithering either; I just used the colors that the dithering resulted in.

See the attachments if you want to see some results of the PC88 version being played without dithering. Apart from that, I sure hope we get the new castle exterior designs from SMBS.

Attached Files:

Mitewing likes this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

There go all my creative ideas D:

5. Superjustinbros

Another example to prove my statements above.
    Screen-Shot-2013-05-14-at-4.29.gif

Mitewing and MissingNo2 like this.
  6. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Wow, with a palette that limited, they sure managed to replicate Mario's colours w- oh wait

It seems a little cheaty to me to turn off the dithering. I mean, it still looks terrible, albeit less, and besides, good graphics never were the appeal behind SMBC, right?

7. Superjustinbros

That was my bad; I forgot to do Mario and the ? block's palettes. (Mari0's skinning system is very complex, since you're able to define Mario's palette at will in that game)

Mario's hat, shirt, and boots are red, his eyes and hair are black, his skin and overalls are orange, and his gloves are yellow. When Mario becomes Fire Mario, the red and yellow colors swap. With Luigi, just replace the red parts with grey, and when he becomes Fire Luigi, he shares Fire Mario's palette's gimmick; swapping the yellow and grey on his sprite. The ? block is orange, the highlights red and the shadowed parts black.

Exactly. And if anyone needs proof, just look at the Atari 2600 skin.

Mitewing likes this.
  8. Faruga

Patron

Blocky =/= eye-ache

9. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

They're still not the fanciest graphics out there by any standard. That and these colors don't even look that bad, at least not to me anyway so long as you take the limitations in mind.
    EDIT: Fixed.

3092821.gif

10. Faruga

Patron

When you're mixing additively, CMYK does a terrible job. I don't see what's wrong with green instead of yellow. I guess they needed a white?

11. MissingNo2

In case you hadn't noticed, the PC88 can't render green on its own. Attempting to mix blue and yellow results in a more grayish color.

12. Superjustinbros

Most PC88 titles are capable of producing the remaining four colors (Green, Cyan, Violet, White) and they use the same technology of combining two colors in one pixel to give the illusion of more colors (HardcoreGaming.Net is your best bet for visual proof). I guess Hudson just never bothered with giving SMBS additional colors, especially considering their port of Excitebike to the same system used the same palette restriction. It may have been to try keeping the filesize from going too high, but I'm not exactly sure why some PC88 titles don't use every color.

If you really do want to see the full palette of the PC88 with every differing result possible, look no further.

Attached Files:

13. Scorpion42

Are you sure you're not mixing up PC88 and Sharp X1?

14. MissingNo2

Actually the thing is SMBS only used two unique pixels per color, where as some other games can use all four of the available pixel space with the available colors.

15. Superjustinbros

Nope. If you want to see for yourself, this blog showcases a few games that easily demonstrate this effect.
    http://retrogaming.blog128.fc2.com/blog-category-8.html

Sharp X1 games can only do one color per pixel.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  16. Faruga

Patron

So yeah, they should've gone for green instead. Here's some quick stuff I made:
    yellow.png
    cyan.png
    magenta.png

Scorpion42 likes this.
  17. Scorpion42

Can you use all colors in a sprite or does it have three-color limitation like NES?

18. Superjustinbros

I'm going to assume no, because I don't see any of the sprites in SMBS ever using the color blue. They only use black, red, and yellow (plus red+yellow dithering).

19. Scorpion42

Oh yeah, I guess you can use black-yellow and black-red dithering too, visually resulting in a limit of six colors :D

20. Faruga

Patron

Isn't there a blue-black dithering somewhere?