Adding Proto Man as a separate character

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, Jul 10, 2012.

?

Who wants Proto Man as a separate character?

1. I do!!!

46.4%
  2. I don't!!!

32.1%
  3. I don't care one way or another!!!

21.4%
  1. ninjakrazii

ninjakrazii Level 3: Paratroopa

That is true also. Haha, however there are nearly no projectiles in the game, besides hammers and flames, so Protomans deflecting shield would be useless most of the time. What good would deflection do when you can't even jump on enemies as megaman (Protoman). The game,you know,has mostly ground ridden enemies that walk in one direction and bounce back, Deflecting shield or not, you land on one, you are nearly always dead. Cx, If the shield is gonna do anything it should be a rare power-up that just knocks enemies away when you run into them :p Kinda like the super slide thing. But while running and until the bar runs out :p

2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

The question is. Do we really need another clone?

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

We really don't, especially given that we already have two Mega Man characters.

4. Crownjo

Thing is my standards to adding Proto man would be different. He would need the one major feature to be his own.

His own weapons.

Sure he can use his shield and have a further knockback but that's not enough. Sure Luigi is a "clone" of Mario but he is special in this case. Only thing that upsets me that he doesn't have his slippery sliding from SMB2J.

5. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Luigi is pretty slippery dude.

6. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Preeeeeeeeeety slippery.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  7. Crownjo

You sure? I just played as Mario and Luigi on SMBC and they are pretty similar when it comes to turning while running.

I played SMB2J as Luigi and he sure as hell doesn't have that slippery turn in SMBC. Play both games to find out.

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The physics for Mario and Luigi still aren't quite accurate to SMB/SMB2j. Mario still accelerates and runs too fast, and Luigi isn't quite as slippery as he should be.

Crownjo, TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Hopefully this will be corrected in the next version, as jdaster64 did a helpful analysis on their original physics:
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/foru...-smb2j-player-physics-exhaustive-guide.14607/
    . . . but this has nothing to do with Proto Man. He's definitely not worth adding unless he has his own weapons, but even then, I think Bass should get his own weapons first, which I discussed here:
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/mega-man-bass-weapon-discussion.14734/
    . . . and sbq92 said there that it would probably be too much work to put more Robot Master weapons in the game.

In short, Proto Man is unlikely to get his own set of weapons, and is therefore not worth adding.

Crownjo and sbq92 like this.
  10. sbq92

The main thing about Proto Man is really that his differences from Mega Man don't translate well into SMBC, and the differences that do translate well could probably just be changed for the skin. Here are the differences as of MM10:
    • Lower shot point
    • 2 buster shots on screen instead of 3
    • Charged shots
    • Sliding
    • Receives double damage
    • Gets knocked back farther
    • Shield that deflects projectiles while Proto Man is jumping
    In SMBC, Mega Man (and therefore Proto Man) already has charged shots and sliding, receiving double damage is irrelevant, getting knocked back farther is largely irrelevant as well, since you only get 1 hit, and the number of projectiles that could be deflected is minimal, unlike in the Mega Man games where almost everything shoots at you. However, the lower shot point is already in, and it's possible that the limited number of buster shots and perhaps even the greater knockback could be implemented for the skin. I can't say we will do this, but we'll see.

Overall, Proto Man doesn't really need to be a separate character. Unless the roster becomes quite large anyway, to the point where adding another Mega Man character doesn't matter, then it's not really worth the effort, since he behaves perfectly fine as a skin.

11. Crownjo

People don't believe Crazy Crownjo. :rolleyes:

Thank you. This is how I exactly feel.

uglyrodent likes this.
  12. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Well I kind of wonder if a cheat could be made for Mega Man's slide and charge to be turned on and off. It will kind of change things up play as MM 1&2 Mega Man or MM 3 Mega Man or MM 4-6 Mega Man.

Crownjo, sbq92 and twinAgkistrodon like this.
  13. sbq92

I've pushed for a "Classic Mega Man" cheat in the past, and I'd still like to see it, even though technically all it would do is disable two things you can just not do anyway. I do think it would be easier to play that way, though, if you don't have to worry about accidentally sliding or charging.

ThomasMink likes this.
  14. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

It's not like anything bad would happen if you accidentally slid or charged. You'd just say "Oops, I didn't mean to do that" and keep playing.

sbq92 and MissingNo2 like this.
  15. sbq92

Yeah, it's definitely not the end of the world if you slide or charge, but it does take away from the authenticity of the "classic experience." Also, if you're anything like me, if I'm trying to legitimately play classic style and I accidentally charge or slide, if it actually impacts the game (e.g., I accidentally hit an enemy with a charged shot), then I've ruined the classic experience and I need to reload my game. Mind you I'm not always this picky about it, but if I were recording a run and I slid or charged, I'd feel like I ruined it and I would have to start over.

ThomasMink likes this.
  16. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

So Proto Man is pretty awesome as of the new update. Always having the charged shot was a great idea to make him different from MM. Most of the things mentioned above has been added. I can't recall if he double knock back distance though. The shield would be rarely used except maybe in All Hammer Bros mode. Hopefully one day there will be enough characters and Mega Man skins that would allow him to be a separate character when he gets the shield. His skins could be those Robot Masters who have shield weapons: Wood Man, Skull Man, Star Man, Plant Man, Pump Man, Enker, etc. Another idea is when he gets his Proto Jet, it could work like Item 2 in MM2 where it can't change direction. This would make it differ from Rush Jet then.

17. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

After seeing the capabilities of skins' effect on characters other than simple cosmetics, I retract my vote.

18. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Another suggestion could be instead of having Mega Man's support items, Proto Man could have Items 1, 2, and 3 from MM 2 since MM has Rush and Bass has Treble.

19. sbq92

Proto Man already has his own utilities. If we were to ever make him a separate character, he'd be based on MM9/10 and would therefore have Proto Coil and Proto Jet (and perhaps leave it at that, since Proto Man never had a Marine utility).

ThomasMink, TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  20. DarkSonic

DarkSonic Level 2: Koopa

Well,it would be awesome to play as Protoman with new skills...

Mitewing likes this.