Request Aim without moving with Bill

Discussion in 'Features' started by Zunar, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Since Bill (and his skins) don't have anything for the special button (at least, not that I know of), why not have the special button lock the character in place, allowing them to shoot in all eight directions without moving, a la Bass (except no autofire unless you have the Machine Gun powerup)

TheomanZero and Frozsoul like this.
  2. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I think this is a great idea, especially since this feature was already implemented in Contra III. It could either be included by default, available as a new cheat, or perhaps a collectible upgrade.

Zunar likes this.
  3. Zunar

The main reason I suggested it was because it was a feature in a Contra game.

And I think it should be included by default. If someone doesn't want to use it, they don't have to; they just don't press Special. Plain and simple.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

That's a fair statement and I personally wouldn't complain. However, I imagine there are some fans that wouldn't like a feature included by default that was not source-accurate to the original NES games.

5. Zunar

Not trying to sound mean, but like I said, if they don't like it, they don't have to use it. I would only suggest having it as a cheat if it were coupled with something else that was included in a future Contra game. It's not a big enough issue just by itself to be a toggleable cheat.

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

Sounds good!

7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Hmm . . . even though this didn't originate in an NES game, I might be willing to relax my standards for something so simple and practical. It's not like it would affect Bill's power level, after all.
    By the way, you mean that pressing Special would toggle between move-aiming and stand-aiming, right? I think that's how it worked in Contra games.

8. Zunar

No, I meant you would hold down Special to aim while standing, similar to how Bass stands still while firing his gun.

9. TheomanZero

That sort of thing works better with shoulder buttons, which SMBC doesn't really have (yet). Plus, that fired both your weapons at once. Contra: Hard Corps used a toggle, and I think that's more like our situation here.

10. Zunar

Either way, I think this would be a good feature to add.

11. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

Shoulder button vs. face button isn't really as big of a concern when using a keyboard. And if you're using a pad through Joy2Key or XPadder, you can always assign your special to a shoulder button.

12. TheomanZero

Fine then. I guess that what's more relevant here is that the held button in Contra III was for firing both of your weapons at the same time, while Contra: Hard Corps' toggle was about aiming a single gun while moving or standing, which is more relevant to SMBC.