Alternate Costumes

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, May 23, 2011.

1. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Hey all, I know that we already have the character skins thread but I figured it might be nice to get something more organized going. This thread will be for suggesting new costumes for characters, don't worry about doing all the work for the costumes if you don't want to, if me and Jay like it I'll most likely do the work needed to put it in.

Explanation of alt costumes:
    Basically, alt costumes will be alternate graphics for a character, when using a costume for a character you'll see that characters name at the top instead of the normal character, so rather then seeing Simon by the score you'll see Trevor when using the Trevor skin. Other then that though the characters will be the same regardless of the costume, except in some cases where a gun or something doesn't line up correctly.
    When suggesting an idea keep in mind these restrictions:
    - The new character must play at least somewhat like the base character, or be able to be modified to play like them.
    - The new character needs to be an established character, so nothing like fan characters or anything.
    - The new character has to fit within the box for the base character.

The graphics for each character are organized into sheets, each sheet is just a bunch of boxes, usually about the same size, with the graphics in them, I can't release the full sheets yet so here are the boxes for each character:
    :mariob::bsimon::bsophia::bsamus::bbill::bryu::bmega::blink:

If you suggest a character it has to fit inside the boxes of the base character, otherwise it won't work. Characters like Sophia and Bill are a organized a bit different, but I'll address that if it comes up. ;)

Anyway, basically just suggest your ideas and I'll let you know what will and won't work. :D I'm going to talk to Jay about posting a list of approved costume ideas in this post, but that may wait until after the update.

Have fun :)

As of right now there is one confirmed alternate costume:
    :simon: > :trevor:

And here is a list of possible costume based on suggestions in the thread so far:
    Mario > Mario (SMB2/3/W)
    Mario > Toad (SMB2)

Luigi > Luigi (SMB2/3/DX)
    Luigi > Peach (SMB2)

MegaMan > Francesca (Krion Conquest)
    MegaMan > Rock - No helmet MegaMan

Link > Link (Link's Awakening)

Simon > Simon (Wai Wai World)

Bill > Lance (Contra)
    Bill > RD-008 (Probotector)
    Bill > RC-011 (Probotector)

Ryu > Scott (Kabuki Quantum Fighter)

I need to stress the point though that until it's on the confirmed list none of these are in the game, this is just a list for people to use as reference for skins that could work if made. So if you see one you'd like after the sheets come out feel free to make a skin and submit it ;)

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Ever since the skin thing came up I've been wondering if it would be possible to make a skin for Sophia that changes her into Rush (from Mega Man)

3. repairmanman

repairmanman Level 5: Spiny

*cough* Sister skin *cough*

4. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Um...Ryuza? Not to be rude or anything...but...I thought we were making these. :p

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

SISTER!!

SISTER FOR SMBC!!

(Gany's or Repairmanman's??)

6. repairmanman

repairmanman Level 5: Spiny

The group is for mine, and I've pretty much got it planned out.
    I have no skillz.

7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

My first suggestion: Toad for Mario and Peach/Daisy for Luigi

8. Ryuza

I know, I just meant that if someone suggested one but wasn't able to make it themselves.

I'm not sure if it'd work, maybe, if so it'd be pretty cool, I'll look into it ;)

9. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Unfortunately, I would not be able to make any that I suggest.

10. Ryuza

Thats why I offered to make any that people couldn't make themselves :)

11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I've started work on a Mario World skin for Mario using the test sheet. It's on the Character Skins thread. The small Mario sprites were a bit big, but will that make any difference? I had to use the Scale tool for some of them because they were too big. The only thing that isn't in yet is the sprites for the fire ball disappearing. So, what are they?

12. Yokuro Ado

Yokuro Ado Level 2: Koopa

Just to see if the skinning works, my suggestion is to replace Megaman with Francesca/Doropie from Krion Conquest/Magical Doropie.

[​IMG]

13. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

I support that suggestion! It would be awesome!

14. Faruga

Patron

MEGA MAN 3 HARD KNUCKLE!!!!!!!

15. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

My list of Alternate Costume suggestions

• Bill's could be his sprites from Contra for the MSX2 or from Super Contra.
    • Link's could be his sprites from Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons or Zelda 2.
    • Luigi's could be his sprites from Super Mario Bros Deluxe.
    • Mega Man's could be his suitless sprites from the credits of Mega Man 1.
    • Trevor has been confirmed, but a second alternate costume for Simon could be his sprites from Wai Wai World.
    • I have no idea about Mario, Ryu, Samus or SOPHIA. Mario's could normally be Luigi, but since Luigi is already going to be in the game, that would be a problem.

16. Faruga

Patron

SMB2/SMB3/the stuff I suggested.

17. Ryuza

Some cool ideas, I'm not too sure about super mario deluxe Luigi though since its not really different, maybe though. Hadn't heard about Wai Wai World though, those might work :)

18. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

But SMB2 and 3 Marios play differently from SMB1 Mario.

19. Faruga

Patron

If you mean they only have 2 walking sprites:
    For SMB2: Custom spriting.
    For SMB3 small Mario: Stick his arms out.
    If you mean something else, state what you mean please.

20. Ryuza

He means they have different gameplay.