Alternate Versions of Existing Characters

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Jay, May 22, 2010.

1. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Well, he fits in this thread in a more literal sense. Anyway, you might be disappointed.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

One idea I've been kicking around is a 16-bit version of SMBC, with the characters having abilities based on their 16-bit games. Here's what I was thinking:
    Mario: Based on Super Mario World. Has Spin Jump, can carry and kick shells forward or up, and his Fireballs turn enemies into coins.
    Link: Based on Link To The Past. Regular attack is a slash rather than a stab, and can charge up and release a Spin Attack.
    Regular: Green Mail, Fighter Sword, Small Shield, Boomerang
    Mushroom: Blue Mail, Master Sword, Red Shield, Magical Boomerang
    Fire Flower: Red Mail, Golden Master Sword, Mirror Shield, Magical Boomerang
    Samus: Based on Super Metroid. Can charge shots, aim down in midair, and jump in Morph Ball form. Possibly 3 tiles tall standing, 2 tiles tall crouching, and 1 tile tall as Morph Ball.
    Regular: Power Suit, Power Beam, Missiles
    Mushroom: Varia Suit, Wave Beam, Missiles
    Fire Flower: Gravity Suit (has regular physics and Space Jump underwater), Wave/Plasma Beam, Super Missiles
    Mega Man X: Based on his SNES trilogy. Can wall jump and charge shots.
    Regular: Normal armor.
    Mushroom: MMX upgraded armor. Press Special to Dash. Can charge buster further.
    Fire Flower: MMX2 upgraded armor. Can Dash in midair. Can release 2 charged shots in succession.
    Simon: Based on Super Castlevania IV. Can whip in all directions and crawl.
    Bill: Based on Contra III. Press Special to switch weapons.
    Regular: Machine Gun
    Mushroom: Level 2 Machine Gun and Spread Gun
    Fire Flower: Laser and Level 2 Spread Gun
    Ryu and Sophia: No ideas.
    The obvious problem with this is that the characters would be way overpowered for Super Mario Bros. Maybe it could work with The Lost Levels, or maybe it's just a silly idea. If nothing else, it's a nice thought experiment.

3. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Also if added along with NES Link's weapons. This version of Link could have all the ALttP weapons and the magic mirror item could 1. Be used with a special ALttP skin that can be changed from light to dark world or 2. Have the ability to change skins in a random form mid game.

She could have all weapons from Super Metroid Missiles and Super missiles would be like you said though.

Though for Ryu I think the most part a graphical change only skip to 0:55 to see Ryu in all his 16 bit glory.

Sophia on the other hand I want to but never have played Blaster Master or...

on Sega Genesis. But there you go can't say what major differences due to never playing either game. I just happened to come across some sprites while bullshitting on the internet.:cool:

4. Scorpion42

• Link's alternate character would be Zelda 2 Link. The main difference would be the height. But Jay would rather perfrom harakiri than put him in the game, I believe.
    • Mario's alternate character, Luigi, has been confirmed being in the next update.
    • Mega Man's alternate characters would be Proto-Man and Bass. They are not exactly like Mega Man, so I don't think they should be simple skins.
    • Simon's alternate characters would be Grant, Sypha and Alucard from Castlevania 3. While having different abilities, they're still from practically the same game, so they work very similarly.
    • The only alternate character I can come up with for Sophia would be Jason, but since he can't do much he wouldn't be a popular standalone character. If he ever makes it into the game, he most likely will be a new feature for SOPHIA.
    • I have no idea about what Samus' or Bill's alternates could be. Contra 3 had two robots called Probotectors, and Hard Corps had Fang, Ray and Sheena. Those were 16-bit games, however, and would not fit in.

5. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Zelda 2 Link is perfect as a alternate character.

Wrong Luigi is his own character.

Again wrong. Trevor is the alternate character. I will admit I wouldn't mind having them later on.

6. Scorpion42

That's what I meant. It's Lost Levels Luigi, who is basically Mario with higher jump and less traction.

1. I never said that Trevor wasn't an alternate character, I just didn't mention him.
    2. I haven't read anywhere that Trevor is an alternate character.
    3. Why would he be an alternate character if he's just like Simon? I think he's a skin.
    4. There isn't gonna be one alternate character for every current character in the next update, so even if he is an alternate character, he's not "the" alternate character.

7. Crownjo

8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Hopefully Protoman and Bass are eventually made into their own characters. Bass can aim in multiple directions and Protoman can use his shield to block projectiles.

9. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Samus' alternate is an obvious choice: ARMSTRONG HOUSTON!

Brownie points go to the one who can point out THAT reference!

Mitewing likes this.
  10. Crownjo

Probotector is 8 bit. This would be the best alt skin for Bill. The first player's name is RD-008

11. Scorpion42

Thanks, then we can rule out the robots.

12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't understand why these rebranded clones were so popular back in those days? What was the purpose of them?

13. Scorpion42

To spare children of the horrors of reality. They were "clean" versions of violent video games.