Request Another request that'll be denied

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Chaos, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Chaos

Chaos Level 5: Spiny

You probably should've guessed this by reading the title.

Besides I still have the other 8 classes to suggest

TAKE THAT CIVILIZATION! YOU MAY HAVE BESTED MY SUGGESTION FOR THE SOLDIER BUT I WILL MAKE MORE! MORE, I TELL YOU!

2. 1337star

1337star Level 2: Koopa

Again, merely for sake of argument, as I do not support this idea; a more fleshed out look at this character if it were to be in the game:

Soldier is a very different style of character than the standard SMBC fare, and his playstyle reflects that. Much like in the the FPS world he calls home, Solider relies on ammo to be effective, even in his most base form. Also unlike most characters, the Solider starts out with a wide variety of weaponry, and only replaces what he has, never gets more.

Solider starts with three weapons, a rocket launcher, a shotgun, and a shovel. The first two of these use ammunition, dropped from enemies as per normal. The normal switch button switches weapons, and shoot fires the currently equipped weapon. The weapons work as follows:

Rocket Launcher:

+ Can hurt shielded enemies (making him the only character other than Mario/Luigi to be able to kill them in default form)
    + Most powerful of the default weapons
    - Uses five times the ammo as the shotgun per shot
    - Hurts Solider if caught in explosion from rocket

Shotgun:

+ Uses only one unit of ammo
    + Quicker rate of fire
    - Less powerful than Rocket Launcher

Shovel:

+ Uses no ammo
    - Weak, slow, and short range, meant to be used only when no ammo is had, or if ammo must be conserved

This makes Solider possibly the most powerful character in base form, yet the need to conserve ammo or be forced to use the weak shovel means he cannot use that power effectively at all times. The amount of ammo he can carry, as well as the ammo drop rate from enemies, should be low enough so that merely blasting through everything with the rocket launcher will deplete it very quickly.

Now, as for powerups, Solider is also unique in this regard. Rather than make him more powerful, his powerups should merely change his weaponry. For instance, give him the Gunboats, and his own rockets no longer hurt him, allowing him to effectively rocket jump like in the game. However, this would also remove his ability to use the shotgun, again like in the game. Now, all of his unlocks shouldn't be in the game, just enough for some variety. As they merely change his gameplay, being hit with the extra hit a Mushroom gives should not make him lose his powerups, only dying would.

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. Chaos

That seems good

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Fucking genius design dude.

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I really don't know why you would go on to make more threads for the rest of the TF2 characters when you yourself keep saying they won't make it in.

I think it's helpful when people suggest ideas that actually complement this game.

Ganymede, Omicron, Sergy92 and 3 others like this.
  6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah, when you started this thread, I assumed it was a joke, based on the title. I didn't expect you to really fight for it.

7. Chaos

If you're talking about the title of the thread it was a joke

8. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

[​IMG]
    Maybe it's just me but... Why couldn't you just put "The Soldier from Team Fortress 2" instead of that?

9. Chaos

Sorry I'll try harder to meet your expectations and preferences next time

10. Ceed

Ceed Level 6: Lakitu

This is the part where we walk away. (or at least I)

11. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

Don't close the door yet...

12. Chaos

be sure to clean your room once you're done

13. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

I know I'm a little late to this, but please allow me to clarify that SMBC has, since its inception, been a celebration of classic gaming. SOPHIA III and Jason are from Blaster Master, a game for the NES, as I'm sure I need not further clarify. As others have suggested, your idea works best as a skin for Bill. I'm furthermore not sure where logic prevails in your reasoning regarding rockets, as this is essentially like suggesting that swords will be the same across every RPG in existence. People telling you the rockets are OP are responding to the stats you've listed for them, not the fact that the sprite looks like a missile. Either way though, I'd like to remind everyone of two things:

First: Please don't jump down peoples' throats for taking the high road and opting out of a discussion. It just drags people down into the mud. Conversely, people taking that decision may wish to keep it to themselves. Discretion is oft the better half of valor.

Second: The SMBC subsection always has, and will be, a place for the free and unadulterated exchange of ideas. I'll freely acknowledge that Soldier will almost definitely never be in the game, but I'd rather a hundred threads as well thought-out as this when the alternative is a single post reading "OMG Pikchu shud be ing theis game becasue he HASS THE THNUDERBEAN" (exaggeration for effect of course). So while I agree that Soldier's best place in SMBC is as a skin for Bill, let's not be so quick to shut the door on folks with realized concepts, even if they could use some work.

Sergy92, Rey D and TheomanZero like this.
  14. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"And if TF2 characters aren't meant in the world of SMB I'd like to know why SOPHIA III is perfectly fine"

I'm going to ask you if you are serious, get ready, here we go...

?

15. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Such a ignorant post coming from you. SMBC is a game made for NES characters or based off a NES game. I can tell you are a modern gamer who doesn't care about the classics like the majority do here. Why are you getting mad when people don't like your idea? When I made my SMB3 Mario topic I had proper debates with the members here and enjoyed it.

All I see you do is throwing a tantrum and getting mad when others don't agree with you. And you are already negative knowing that your idea won't make it. That doesn't contribute to the community in any helpful way.

Sergy92 likes this.
  16. uglyrodent

Allow me to recap Ganymede's post:

-Yes it's for classics
    -Yes a skin would be more reasonable
    -FREE EXCHANGE OF IDEAS

And let's be fair here; he's not "throwing a tantrum", he's reacting to people shitting all over his idea.

17. Crownjo

In a way he already shitted on his own idea. That's if like me making a topic that says that it will be denied. You need confidence when you make a topic. I am aware of free exchange of ideas. It's how it's done.

18. uglyrodent

He was using self-deprecation as a source of humor. He wasn't saying he has no hope, he was jokingly bringing to light the overall bias against modern characters.

ThomasMink likes this.
  19. Crownjo

It's hard to tell it's a joke when he acted so seriously... :blank:

20. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

By the way, why did you even created that thread only to suggest an idea while knowing it won't be accepted?

TheomanZero likes this.