Any chance of a SNES rom port?

Discussion in 'Game' started by Atomsk, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk Level 0: Newbie

I love the work you guys do. Would it be possible to port this amazing game to other devices like Snes9x or Android or anything else?

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Pretty sure no.

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

The system is so complicated and so huge I'm pretty sure it can't be handled by a SNES rom. Neither an android stuff.
    PLUS the game needs to be played on this site.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

You could use an SNES hacking tool and reverse engineer the game as best you can, but it's pretty much impossible to port it from Flash to a ROM.

Also your name kicks ass.

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Well ignoring what has actually officially been stated for the moment, it seems almost impossible to convert all of this work from flash into an SNES rom / cartridge. There are certain things built according to flash's limitations which are different from how you have to build something according to the SNES's limitations. You'd have to basically make it all over again because whatever you learned from reverse engineering it might not always apply to how you rebuild it. It would be very hard, time consuming and require tons and tons of work.

With that said, there are no official plans to port the game anywhere, not even as an applet for a mobile device.

Rey D and uglyrodent like this.
  6. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Android phones can play N64 roms. I am pretty sure they could handle this.

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Oh I didn't know. There are still the other problems, though.

uglyrodent likes this.
  8. Nemephosis

There are, yes, but the phones themselves are more than capable of the power. I played Mario Kart 64 on a Samsung Galaxy S 2. It was boss.

uglyrodent likes this.
  9. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

In addition to what everyone else has said, playing the game on the site helps Jay get more exposure and ad revenue. There aren't ads that people can make money off of while playing an emulator.

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Yeah, I could see it as a mobile app, IF it had embedded ads... but that would detract/block gameplay on the screen. Plus, I do not think most phones would like playing with the limited controls of a touch-screen phone. I'd like have to use a Wiimote connected via bluetooth, and even that wouldn't be enough buttons properly (Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 being my phone. Does SNES roms fine, but I stick to RPGs, cause it lacks decent multi-touch input)

uglyrodent likes this.
  11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Actually, come to think of it, thanks for reminding me to mention a button combination I thought up for the Wii Remote (also with Nunchuck):

Wiimote: horizontal
    Dpad: movement
    A: select
    B: special
    1: attack
    2: jump
    +: pause

Wiimote+Nunchuck:
    Joystick: movement
    C: select
    Z: special
    B: attack
    A: jump
    +: pause

The horizontal Wiimote should be a neat replication of the MM9/10 controls. I've never tried it (don't have the right stuff), but it should work okay.

uglyrodent likes this.
  12. Nemephosis

Guy, seriously. Embed ads and I will sooner do without.

uglyrodent likes this.
  13. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Nemephosis, I wouldn't worry. It's already been stated there will never be a port to another platform/offline version. So, I wouldn't worry. I was more just pointing out reasons why it wouldn't work so well.