Are Some Skins Redundant?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Dec 31, 2012.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

There's been a discussion about whether or not certain skins are redundant or pointless, especially the 16-bit, re-shaded NES sprites.

Personally, I don't get it. The entire point of the skins is to play the same characters but who look different. Even if it's just a re-shaded version (and all the reshades actually look pretty good, by the way), it's still a completely valid skin because it still looks different.

And it's not like anybody is making you use the ones you don't like. It seems like you guys are arguing against having more choices for reasons that go against the concept of skins.

But that's just my take on it. I made this thread so we could discuss it :p

2. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

So problems because you have more options to play as? That is the most retarded thing ever. More possibilities are never bad, THEY CAN'T BE BAD! You can do it if you want, if you don't care then you not use it. The End? Where is the problem? Having more is not a bad thing, NOT HAVING ENOUGH can only be a problem.

So what does skins give us?
    Skins make things different. But hey a gameboy or a SNES skin also comes with respectable console music so we can also have different music. In basic you can feel like example as if you are playing a SNES or some other console game. That is a very nice thing. Speaking of music some different character skin has different music too so it's not just can be done with different console, example Bill has Contra music and Lance has Super C music. More skins let us play in different ways that increases replayability. Finally there are now even skins that play a little different too! How is that useless?

Honestly, this is the stupidest thing so far. It's even worse then when people said we don't need invisible skin. It's not in the way so why wrong if it's possible to do in case you want to?

I be throwing out here now an little more harsh honest opinion what could be the problem really for others. They don't want works on skins, they only want their new characters to get into the game. So basically they feel like don't work on skins, work on characters I requested instead.

End of story...

3. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Part of my argument for this was based on the point that it would affect the game's performance due to increased filesize, but I recently was told it has no effect on the game whatsoever. So now, pretty much my only reason why I argue for taking out redundant skins is that it's annoying to scroll through the skins to find the one you want, especially if you accidentally skip over the one you want and have to scroll back through. A submenu for selecting the skins would easily solve this problem, and I've posted about it in the Features forum.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. Urutsune

I see your point for the skin scrolling and it could be indeed really fixed easily with a sub menu for them. Maybe something similar looking like the cheats menu, there is a list where you can select what you want to use. For characters you could push a button like select example that would bring up a little list where you can select what skin you want to use for the character.

uglyrodent likes this.
  5. Zunar

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. And not just for character skins, for map, enemy, and interface too (especially map and interface, those take a couple seconds to load for me).

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Are people actually arguing against choice?

That's it, people fucking suck.

ThomasMink likes this.
  7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

My answer to the title of this thread: No, so let's go and make more skins!

uglyrodent likes this.
  8. Zunar

I argue because it's annoying scrolling through all the skins to find the one you want, as mentioned before.

And is that kind of language really needed?

MissingNo2 likes this.
  9. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I personally want each separate character skin to have NES, SNES, and GB versions even if one or more of them don't have official sprites.

10. Zunar

That would be cool, just I'd like to have a submenu to make for easy selection of the skin that you want. Only being able to scroll one direction and sometimes not being sure what's next is annoying. Then again I've mentioned this several times so I should probably stop.

11. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Okay then, let's add all of the skins ever made for the game! What's the problem with that?!

Zunar likes this.
  12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Argh, you people are twisting my words!
    If a skin has different music, it should stay in even if it doesn't look good.
    So do I. If a skin doesn't have an SNES version yet and someone submits one, it should get in even if it doesn't look good.

Okay, since I opened this can of worms, let me explain what I was thinking:

So I was impressed by Simon, Bill, and Lance's new 16-bit skins in v2.1, and I thought "Wow, these skins look so much better than those old reshades! These should be the default 16-bit skins, the ones that appear in the intros!" So I was going to request that.

But then I had another thought: "Wait . . . these new skins look better and use the same music as the old ones; they're basically upgrades. And when you upgrade something, you don't keep the old version, do you? If they were from official games, that'd be different, but they're just reshades of 8-bit sprites, the laziest and most disappointing 16-bit sprites in existence. I don't see why people would want to use sprites that are basically 8-bit in a 16-bit game when they could be using sprites with new details and updated designs, like proper 16-bit sprites should have. These sprites were fine when they were the only 16-bit sprites available for these characters, but now that there are much better options available, is there really any point in keeping the originals?"

So I made that request thread. And bear in mind I said this:
    While I'm quoting myself, I'd like to repost something I said in another thread that summarizes my opinions about skins. This also acts as a tl,dr for this whole post.
    tl,dr:

Frozsoul, Lilfut and MissingNo2 like this.
  13. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Blaine had removed my old 16-bit reshades when adding the new ones but Jay prefers the old ones and said to keep them in.

We always make sure each of the main characters start with those three versions but when it comes to skins such as Roll for a random example it would really start building up quick if we gave each of those characters 3 skins. Personally I'd prefer to leave out a skin that doesn't look good over adding it just for the sake of completion.A good example is the nes/gb skins for Dark Samus, I didn't make them for 2.0 to begin with because they were basically just padding to make it seem like Samus had more skins and they were just even simpler recolors of Samus' other skins.

Just to clarify though, I'm not saying that skins shouldn't have all three versions, I'm just saying that for some it doesn't serve much purpose and just seems like padding. :p

Rey D and ThomasMink like this.
  14. Urutsune

I see so you hate the feature of having skins like SNES ones and etc. I respect your opinion.
    If that's not what you was thinking about then clearly also don't know what I was talking about.
    I know I not explained my words to the slightest detail but I assumed people know what the topic is.

15. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

People are against choices because it inconveniences them. Oh, wah, I have to scroll a little! I guess a little scrolling should mean we take choice away from people. How unbelievably self centered and childish people can be.

So yes, it was not only necessary, but I toned it way down from what I originally had in there.

Lilfut likes this.
  16. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

May I ask you to calm down a little? It's not like you don't complain as well either.
    So I'd suggest you to calm down and, you know, discuss on how skins are or aren't redundant.

17. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Nope, I like the SNES skins. I just don't think we should have reshaded 8-bit sprites made to look like 16-bit when we have official sprites of a SNES game, which are better.

I noticed you called the team retarded too, since the could have put a lot of skins that were already made, but they decided to not put many of them.

18. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Here are my thoughts, since I've talked little on the subject (not that my opinion really means anything, but whatever).
    Are some skins redundant? Yes.
    Is that part of the point of skinning in general? Yes.

And just to respond to the point of these newer skins being 'upgrades'... I don't view it that way. I view them as alternate skins, not really upgrades to what was already there.

Lilfut, Rey D, Mitewing and 1 other person like this.
  19. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

If one-directional scrolling were the ONLY WAY to implement skin selection, then you would have a point. But you don't. It's inconvenient and it can't be that hard to fix; even just making a button (special, maybe?) go backwards through the list and leaving attack to scroll forwards could make the process so much easier.

The scrolling isn't enough to say the system is bad. But it's enough to say the system can be better.

20. Urutsune

Yeah you don't know what I was talking about at all. I feel little annoying to explain it but whatever.
    The topic was about that some type skins are redundant, they should not be in the game. I said that stupid because whats wrong with having such skins? They clearly work well in the game and fit so why would it be wrong? If you don't like some then just don't use them, they don't break the game or the theme or anything. So it is wrong that we have more in the game? How could it be wrong that we have more possibilities? This has nothing to do with putting in everything, it is obvious you can't put in anything into a game when it needs to fit into the game and everything. But if something working perfectly and fits in then what is the point of not having it? If you really want to know I was speaking of them as having some stuff as a possible feature. EXAMPLE: having 16-bit versions of some skins
    Btw I think the point of 16-bit version of skins is quite obvious. It is so that you can also use a specific skin in SNES graphics too. I am pretty sure there is a lot skins yet to come, possible what you would like to see will also make it into the game but obviously it takes time to make everything.

And on a final note what the heck man? You seem like you are picking on me on purpose or something. You act like you want to make me look bad. I have no idea what you were thinking of what I am saying but come on now. If you not sure what do I mean then just ask, I know my words not always clear as water. I mean why are you twisting my words like that?