Are Some Skins Redundant?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I see what you're saying, but at the same time, using Dark Samus as an example, since there is no NES version, the SNES skin sticks out like a sore thumb on the NES map skins.

2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I don't know why but I like the 16-bit reshades. I use them when I play the SNES SMB3 theme. Jay made a good move.

Mitewing likes this.
  3. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, I guess it might make sense to add one later on, but it probably wouldn't be until we revamp the selection system, I have a few ideas in mind that could simplify things so hopefully we'll get a chance to do that eventually.

Yeah, since the SMB3 All-Stars graphics are reshades too they fit together pretty well, when I was making the 16-bit sprite for 2.0 I was trying to get them to match the All-Stars graphics specifically rather then 16-bit graphics in general.

Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  4. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Sorry if it looked like I was just picking on you. It's just that you was the one who said a really vague thing - "it's never bad to have more options" - which ain't true at all. Like if we had all the skins like I said, according to you that wouldn't be any bad, but that would turn into a whole mess and stuff, so no.

Let's face the truth. If you don't like something, or if you think the thing doesn't adds much to the game, even if some people like it, you wouldn't really like to have it in the game, would you?

I didn't mean like "take that shit off the game, I don't want it!". What I mean is that I'd prefer to don't have them. If they still keep those skins in the game I'd still be fine.

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This is a good point. I guess considering there are a variety of 16-bit map skins to choose from (or at least, there ideally will be) it doesn't hurt to have a variety of 16-bit character skins to choose from as well, since some characters' styles may not quite fit with certain 16-bit map skin styles.

6. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Speaking of skins that fit characters well, we have Zelda 2 skins but no Adult Link. (offtopic)

7. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I understand both the argument for a more convenient skin selection system, and for the fact that official SNES skins "over-ride" custom ones.

I think the Skin Selection system could use an update, and that's a valid concern in my opinion (open a menu with Shoot instead of scrolling through the skins in one direction would be my suggestion). That would settle that.

As for the other point; there was a large gap between 2.0 and 2.1, so we've had the custom 16-bit shades for quite some time, they're something of a "legacy" skin now.

I think the best solution that will work out best for everyone is to just improve skin selection, rather than remove skins. You could go further and label the 16-bit reshades "Legacy" skins to make it clear that they're not supposed to be the actual 16-bit representative of that character, i.e. "Legacy 16-bit Bill or Simon" as opposed to "Super Contra Bill" or "SCV4 Simon". I do think the skins need to be labeled better, in any case.

8. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

I admit it was not exactly saying what I was thinking. I know it too that you can't add everything since that would make a mess.

Well I guess it's true but I don't think anything there was so far that barely added to game. So far to me everything seems meaningful or awesome or something. But yeah it is true about the having it in thing. But I feel like skins are something that is really personal opinion do you like how it looks or not. So for the case I say it is really up to Jay what skin can be in. But Jay so far knew his stuff great so far and I think there is really no problem with the skins so far too. But again I guess it is really a personal opinion.

I think I know what you mean in overall though. You think there are better skins to add that should have higher priority.
    Maybe there could be some way where people could voice what type of skins they want to see more.

9. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I agree with Alice here. The best thing we can do is revamp the skin selection process. If that is revamped, than "redundant" skins won't be as big an issue, since you can simply not even select them, as opposed to having to cycle through them.

It's called the forums. :p

My main plan for 2.1 was to "fill out" the rest of the skins for characters, so adding skins like SMB2 Mario and the SNES SMB3 Mario and Luigi, and characters like Break Man and Roll, and RD-011 (though I tried to include an extra skin for characters where I could, such as Rokko Chan and Quick Man). Since this has mostly been done now, I plan to start adding other skins for the characters (such as some other Mega Man bosses).

Crownjo, ThomasMink, Mitewing and 2 others like this.
  10. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

I agree with Alice on labeling the skins better, they could use some better labels. I'd offer to give some suggestions, but I doubt that the dev team would need help with that. They could probably think of some pretty good ones without any help.

11. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I'll fully admit I was a bit disappointed that the team sort of pick-and-chose skins instead of just putting all (or at least most) of them in. If server space/lag isn't an issue, why go so minimalist? I want Fluttershy, dammit!

12. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I overheard that would just be a complete mess. Also, I'm pretty sure that adding that many would give almost a full minute of scrolling for characters like Mario with the current skin selection system.

uglyrodent and TheomanZero like this.
  13. Lilfut

Well yes, I'm not saying the current skin system isn't fucked, but it's fucked with any number of skins greater than two.

14. aliceandsven

"I want Fluttershy, dammit!"

Absolutely nothing to do with retro video games.

15. Lilfut

Except the skin is on there and exists. I made it. I see no real reason not to include it.

16. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Well that was sorta rude there alice even for a Mod. :I Things can happen!
    I personally would love a skin like Fluttershy in the game. Though it may seem weird she's on 2 hooves and not 4, I personally blame the Skin Template on that part. Right now I'm making a Princess Luna skin and maybe more. Though, I suggest we change it up besides Mario and Luigi.

17. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Even though it has nothing to do with the game, it is complete, and if added can potentially attract players from a completely different niche.

inb4 brony invasion ;)

Dimpsy likes this.
  18. aliceandsven

If it's not relevant then it shouldn't be added

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Quality over quantity. Like alice said, Fluttershy has nothing to do with retro games, retro gaming being kind of the main appeal of Super Mario Brothers Crossover.
    Add to that the fact that those sprites look stiff, and pretty weird. The articulations given to that pony are pretty messed in the first place, and her lack of human anatomy also makes the whole animation stiff.

It's not being rude, it's a point.

MissingNo2, Crownjo and TheomanZero like this.
  20. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Late note: I didn't even look at the sprites. Not getting into any argument, however i do not support any form of pony material; I purely thought of it as a luring mechanic to increase the game's popularity.

Crownjo likes this.