Background Colors of Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Mar 8, 2012.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Okay, this has been getting on my nerves. It isn't anybody's fault really, but it's something I want to bring to public attention.

The background color of skins should be a color that IS NOT ANYWHERE ON THE SPRITES. I know you all know this, and the people who pay attention are very good about making it a different color. But a lot of people open the thing up (probably in Paint, which won't load transparency in transparent images) and the background becomes white. I've also seen black on occasion.

Now a lot of very helpful members (myself included) are more than happy to add transparency to these skins. We know not everyone has the means or image editing know-how to do it, and we want to make Ryuza's job that much easier. But when you post something like this:
    [​IMG]
    The job gets exponentially harder. Now don't get me wrong; this is an EXCELLENT skin. I would play the fuck out of it. But adding transparency to it would be a chore. It ought to be a 20 second process, and most of that should be spent opening the file in the first place.
    -Add transparency layer if there isn't already
    -Use color selecter to select the color you want deleted (color selecter selects every instance of that color)
    -Delete that color
    Three simple steps! But the thing is, the background is white, so if I use the color selecter to delete, I will delete ALL of the white, including that on Iceman. The solution is to use a different tool, the Magic Wand/Fuzzy Select/whatever to select an individual section, delete it, and move on to the next section. This leaps up to like a five minute job, but it could still be worse. And on this skin it is.
    If you look at certain sections, such as his top left standing sprite or the charge kick sprites, there is no separation between the white on the sprite and the white of the background. Even with the magic wand, it will lose chunks of the actual sprite that we would have to manually put back in (or if pretty much the entire thing is lost, like the charge kick, copy it from the template back in). Adding transparency to this sheet would take upwards of twenty minutes. Even if I'm just really slow at this and it takes less time, it's still MANY times longer than just clicking and deleting.

I'm not mad at anyone who does this, even Omegaman who made the Iceman sheet I keep bitching about. Every skin you guys have made has been top notch and I'd be proud to see them in the game. But if you can't add the transparency yourself, at least make it so that somebody can without wasting nearly half an hour of their life doing so. Be a little more considerate of the people who want to help you.

As a final note, if I'm stupid and missing some really easy way to avoid all that work, please tell me and disregard everything said here.

Thanks.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well most guys who post apply an obvious background color. That one is just Omegaman's. and it's incomplete anyway.

3. uglyrodent

That's who this is addressed to; the people who don't. I've seen it often enough to feel this thread should exist.

TheomanZero and Rey D like this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Hurray, this exists! Now explain how Omegaman can do it with the crap that is MS Paint that he uses.
    EDIT: I guess the black is Print Screen?

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I am a proponent of learning, improvement and seeking knowledge for yourself. I'd much rather have people learn how to apply transparency to images then have to ask people to do it for them, especially since there's not much of an excuse to not "have the means" or the "know-how" these days. There are free counterparts to suitable image editing programs, such as paint.net, free to download with many useful features including producing images with transparency.

And the know-how needed to work these newfangled young folk contraptions is one query away in your favorite search engine.

Needless to say this is a good thread.

6. Faruga

Patron

I have begged Omegaman to use GIMP and he says no. This is probably gonna be the LAST TIME I do it for him.

7. Rey D

Patron

→ Did he give any good reason? Or any reason whatsoever?

8. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

aliceandsven likes this.
  9. aliceandsven

Rey D likes this.
  10. Rey D

Patron

→ Wow never heard about that. Looks like there's enough tool to work with.

I wonder how many times I said that, but I use Paint.NET . It launches quickly enough and is instinctive. It's not as complete as GIMP however.

11. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I don't even see what's so hard about GIMP. Takes a few seconds to load, but all of the tools do what I would expect them to do in other programs like Adobe Photoshop (which, at one point many years in the past [ie: high school and college], I used to use). Some things were different, but eh.. didn't take long to learn it.
    Then again, if you're unwilling to spend an hour or more learning how a program works and what does what.. you probably won't learn any of them.

I'd say pick one or two (or more.. who knows.. options are always nice) that sound good to you and try them out.. spend time with them and see how they work.

Rey D and uglyrodent like this.
  12. uglyrodent

I do agree that people should learn how on their own, but if they don't want to I won't make them. I want Jay and Ryuza's job to be as easy as possible, and if that means cleaning up after people who love Paint so be it.
    Some people don't jibe with certain programs. I know I have completely bullshit reasons for disliking Google Chrome and Paint.net. I just don't like them. Whatever.
    GIMP is an excellent, solid, intuitive program ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT. I remember when I first got it and I did not understand anything about it (although I'd never used an image editor). Hell, I've seen people who HAVE used image editors get confused. I truly think GIMP's slogan ought to be "You'll Get Used To It".

Rey D and ThomasMink like this.
  13. aliceandsven

If someone is so lazy they outright refuse to improve, or come to a level of proficiency that won't make the experiences of collaborators sore... Maybe they should pass their idea to someone who's willing to?

"Hey someone please do an Ice Man skin, I don't know how and I don't want to learn. Here are some ideas."

"Ok I can do that and I want to do that, thanks for those ideas, healthy collaboration is fun!"

[ICE MAN SKIN!!!!! Credits: Person A (ideas), Person B (spriting)]

Problem solved, everyone's happy and nobody needs to pick up the slack for unreasonable lazy people.

"Some people don't jibe with certain programs. I know I have completely bullshit reasons for disliking Google Chrome and Paint.net. I just don't like them. Whatever."

There's this beautiful concept in the world known as alternatives! If you don't like one thing, there's likely another similar thing that you can like. I myself used GIMP once... once. Like the irrational biological machine that I am, I said "Fuck this shit" and never used it again, because Photoshop was easier for me, it was my preferred alternative, but I still had a passion to learn how to use such a program and use it well. Is this particular problem a lack of alternatives, or a lack of effort?

14. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Most likely true. I can't think back to learning how GIMP worked since it's been some years, but I do remember being slightly confused at the start.. despite the similarities it had with layers and such. That happens with just about any graphics editor though.. or.. at least I assume it does.. I mean, I only really used two...... and MSPaint which I'm not counting. Photoshop was confusing as all hell to learn on my own.

This.. is perfect!

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. Faruga

Patron

This.

uglyrodent likes this.
  16. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I have to agree here. If you can't do transparency, at least make the background color something easy to remove. I usually use neon green (0/255/0) as my "working" background, myself, and it'd be a decent choice for a background color that's unlikely to conflict with the color scheme of any given sprite.

Oh, and there are tons of alternatives. If you don't like GIMP, Paint.NET is much simpler (and it's what I currently use). I used to use Paint Shop Pro back in the day, and I don't think anything could be better for sprite work, though it isn't free (but it is relatively inexpensive). MS Paint is probably the worst possible option.

Rey D, ThomasMink and uglyrodent like this.
  17. Rey D

Patron

Th problem with Paint.NET is that it can't select one color in the whole image. Or can it? Because I know the "magic rod" or something can select one color, but, like, on the sheets, you would have to select every cases one by one.

18. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Zach recommended I use {181|165|213} as the background color, since it's a color that doesn't show up in the NES palette. It's a nice, light violet, easy on the eyes, and generally distinct from the colors you're likely to be using in your sheet.

Here's my Break Man sheet without the transparency set, so it's using {181|165|213}:

[​IMG]

ThomasMink, uglyrodent and Rey D like this.
  19. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

Actually, yes, it can. When you choose the wand, one of the toolbar options is "Flood Mode". You can either select "Continuous" (it selects one continuous area of color, like Photoshop's wand), or "Global" (which selects any and all areas of that color on the layer). The fill tool has the same option.

ThomasMink and Rey D like this.
  20. Rey D

Patron

→ Oh gosh... YOU GENIUS! :D