Background Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Scorpion42, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

The backgrounds can get really complicated, and they're just as important as any other part of the skin. Therefore I think they should have their own thread on the forum. If we can contrate the subject of background skins here, it will make it much easier to get help, and we'll put the pressure of some of the other threads.

The simplest background is probably the one found in SMB itself. Apart from a few background objects, that are actually found in the Map sheet in SMBC, it's just a single color across the whole level.

It gets more advanced with, for instance, Castlevania 2, where it is much more elaborate. Here's a example from my skin:
    [​IMG]
    The forest is the simplest. It simply loops. However, in other parts of the game, many more different background objects are scattered around much more frequently than in SMB.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Backgrounds are animateable. This is from silentshadowxp's Legend of Zelda skin, and the fire is supposed to animate like in the small caves where you find vendors and such.

The most advanced background in the game so far is probably the SNES Super Mario Bros. In addition to normal background objects, it also has a parallax background. Parallax is a technique where, as the camera moves, objects in the background move as well, but slower as to simulate depth, that they're far in the distance. There are many different parallax backgrounds in that skin, some of them even animated as well.

I'll have to admit I have no idea what the requirements and restrictions for backgrounds are. My guess is that if the developers thinks your skin is cool enough, they'll find a way to put it in, background and everything.

ThomasMink and Mitewing like this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

As far as I know, the backgrounds need to be a maximum (or required?) height of 240 pixels, and the width I guess a minimum of 1 tile, which is 16 pixels. My Zelda II set has way too many backgrounds to post here, since a lot of them were designed specifically for particular levels, and for that reason some of them would look rather odd anyway. There is also apparently a whole numbering scheme for the backgrounds (e.g., bg_000) that Zach explained to me, but I still don't know how it works. It seems easier to leave it up to him since he knows the system.

3. Dochobin

Dochobin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

All right, thanks! This solves a lot of questions I've been having. How do you animate the backgrounds, though? Do you make it as a gif or something, or do you just submit multiple frames?

4. sbq92

For the animated backgrounds, we have them set up as a single image with each frame layered vertically with a single line dividing each frame. The vertical size of each frame must be 240px, and the horizontal size should be at least 256px. There are some fancy ways of animating backgrounds that have just a single animated part, but don't worry about that. We can handle whatever needs to be done on our end.

5. Dochobin

Ok, thanks! So it looks like this?
    [​IMG]

Can it be wider, or does it have to be exactly 256px?

6. sbq92

Yup, just like that. I suppose the backgrounds can be as wide as you want, but something between 256 and 2048 is probably ideal. Levels are only so long. SMB1 SNES uses some really long backgrounds, but most of the 16-bit backgrounds are still relatively short, like 512 or 768.

7. Dochobin

OK, thanks a lot. You've been a great help.

8. sbq92

No problem. :)

9. Dochobin

All right, time to do what this thread was made for in the first place. I've got some backgrounds to show off. :p
    I've been working on a Skin Set for Megaman 1, 2, and 3, and I've made backgrounds for most of my themes.

Here's the background for Crash Man's Stage, which will be a world theme.
    [​IMG]

Here's Flash Man's Stage, which is the underground theme.
    [​IMG]

Snake Man's Stage, another world theme.
    [​IMG]

Wily Stage 4 from Megaman 1, which is the castle theme.
    [​IMG]

Bubble Man's Stage, which will be World 2. This one is animated, so I have a gif. :)
    [​IMG]

Gemini Man's Stage (underwater), which is also animated, but I didn't make a gif because the blue... thing just flashes a bit.
    [​IMG]

And my favorite, Shadow Man's stage. This one will be for World 8.
    [​IMG]

*EDIT*
    And now Magnet Man, another world theme.
    [​IMG]

*EDIT 2*
    Cut Man (World 1) and Elec Man (probably World 4). Since Megaman 1 has just a solid color as the background for both these stages, I decided to add some clouds from Air Man's stage.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

*EDIT 3*
    I decided to make a seperate Bomb Man background. Bomb Man is not his own world theme, but Cut Man's giant mushrooms level uses tiles from Bomb Man's stage.
    [​IMG]

*EDIT 4*
    And here's Air Man's stage, another world theme.
    [​IMG]

Scorpion42 and Faruga like this.