Official Bass: Destruction is his Forte

Bass, from Mega Man 10, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

It's something, okay? I play through the whole game as every character anyway, so I don't really care about balance.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Yeah I don't really either. I only think that's good that characters have a few unconvenient points so he's not "another character but with more stuffs".

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I seem to have forgotten that there are small places in SMB that Bass won't be able to fit into. That is an important distinction from Mega Man for sure.

4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I think Jay said Bass can both dash and double jump.

5. sbq92

Interesting decision. I guess it's what he's known for because of MM&B, but he couldn't double jump in his 8-bit version. Then again, he couldn't use Super Arm, Metal Blade, Hard Knuckle, Charge Kick, or Flame Blast in his 8-bit version, either. A double jump really does make him that much better than Mega Man, then. I wonder if Jay has programmed him to slow down to normal speed if he jumps in mid-air after a dash-jump. That's how he behaves in MM&B--he can't double long jump.

6. SketchMan3

SketchMan3 Level 3: Paratroopa

Yeah, he shouldn't have any energy left to double jump after dash jumping. He has to touch the ground to recharge his thrusters. With non-upgraded Megaman characters in general, you can either jump>jump, dash>jump, or jump>dash. It would take 3 boosters to do a dash>jump>jump or a jump>jump>dash, etc.

I didn't realize this Bass's dash didn't lower him. Fortunately, he can just blast his way through those small passages. It does make avoiding Bowser's fire blasts more interesting. That's a good example of why Bass doesn't make Megaman obsolete.

I might have to do a Megaman Volnutt skin for Bass too. He seems like a better match, gameplay wise.

7. TheomanZero

Actually, I recall hearing that in MM&B, unlike in the X series, you can double jump after a dash jump (though the second jump cancels the "dash" effect). Can someone who's played the game confirm this? (Of course, it's up to Jay exactly how he wants it to work in SMBC.)
    I can't say I'm surprised Bass is going to have his double jump in SMBC -- presumably his base jump height is the same as Mega Man's, and his double jump is how he compensates instead of Rush Coil.

8. sbq92

Bass can jump again after a dash jump. :)

I had considered this, and it makes sense. However, Bass is eventually going to have the Treble Boost, with which he can fly.

9. TheomanZero

Presumably that'll be a power-up. He needs some way to get through the levels even in his weakest form.

sbq92 likes this.
  10. SketchMan3

You're right in all that you said. I'd forgotten about that. I have played MM&B.

11. TheomanZero

You mean Treble Boost? Because in Mega Man 10 at least, it wasn't very good.

12. Maverick Hunter Zero

Maverick Hunter Zero Level 1: Goomba

no like in megaman exe/battle network

13. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Well this isn't exe.

14. TheomanZero

Well . . . if it's overpowered there, then all the more reason not to do it like that. Not that we would anyway, since the Mega Man Battle Network Series has nothing to do with this.

15. sbq92

I really enjoyed using it. You certainly can't just fly around all the time since it drains energy fairly quickly, but it was good at certain points in the game. I think it will be fun when it's implemented to use it at key points in SMBC in speedruns. :)

16. SketchMan3

Sounds a lot like the Rush Super Adapter.

17. sbq92

It functions quite a bit differently. Basically, you summon Treble, then you combine with him and you have free movement all around the screen. The energy bar depletes gradually, and when you shoot, you shoot three bullets out in a spread shot.

EDIT: You can see the Treble Boost in this video, at around 10:40.

18. SketchMan3

Oh, so it works the same as in RM&F, then.

19. sbq92

It does. Unfortunately, there is no Energy Saver item in MM10 so the Treble Boost will never drain more slowly. I suppose it should be okay, though. If Jay has based the speed of energy consumption on that of MM10, then based on the video it should last a pretty decent amount of time.

I suppose the Energy Saver item could actually be pretty cool in SMBC, but then again, it would probably be too cheap, almost like cheating with an infinite ammo code. I've played a bunch of MM4 Complete Works to know that with half energy consumption, unless you just spam all your weapons all the time, you will rarely run out.

20. TheomanZero

The flight is nice. It's just that the really slow spread shot is much worse than Bass' normal rapid-fire multi-directional buster.