Request Battletoads Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Captain Knight, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

How are people going to find out the all the moves for Rash?

The ram is fine, it's actually really good, but maybe you have to press down twice and then attack for the boot? The enemy will be stunned anyways, so why not just make them wait, then BAM!
    I love it already...

2. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

Well its a good start no doubt. But the down attack for the boot? No. My goal is to make Rash a character that you have to be strategic to play as like the Bionic Commando. I want him,to always have tricks up his sleeve.

I like the stunned part though. When the baddy is stunned just pressing attack will do Smash Punch, side ways will do Smash Kick, and down Smash Upper Cut.

How does that sound?

3. Captain Knight

So what you're trying to say is that you could only do the boot when stunning enemies?

I'd think it'd be cool if you could just run up to a guy and just kick em.

Edit : Yay! 1100 post

4. Captain Rizer

Aha!

Well in battletoads games you can only kick bad guys when they were stunned it would make more sense to bring that gameplay back to SMBC. But when attacking bowser all hits are smash so you can boot him more often.

5. Captain Knight

So the smash hits, besides the ram, will activate ONLY if you've stunned an enemy?

What about the goombas? They'll probably go down in one small punch.

And what about survival mode?

What happens in the water? Practically the only attack you can do is the air attack.

6. pokemondream

pokemondream Level 5: Spiny

also there no ranged projectile attack

7. Captain Knight

Yeah there's probably not gonna be any projectiles with Rash. He has way too many attacks anyways, we don't want any more.

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Lots going on here!

I have a few points to make. First of all, I agree with Captain Knight that changing jumping with the power-ups is a bad idea. It will really mess with people, and is unnecessary anyway. They're frogs (well, toads), so give them a good jump to begin with. Jumping is one of the most important elements of SMBC because that was Mario's primary skill in the original SMB. Altering it mid-game would be messing around too much with a necessary skill.

Second, I think trying to make the Battletoads complex is missing the point of SMBC. The characters should all be quite user-friendly. None of the existing characters are complicated (except maybe SOPHIA, but even then he/she doesn't take too long to get used to), and that's what makes the game enjoyable. Trying to base the character's moveset off of a single level in one of the games doesn't sound like the best idea. For the sake of intuitiveness, it would be better to make the controls as simple as possible, while still providing a solid moveset. Captain Rizer had an awesome set of moves, but I don't know if the set was perfect. I like the idea of Down+Attack as the kick, and Up+Attack as the uppercut. Both of those are very intuitive. Also, I like the idea of the power-ups causing the attacks to be "larger."

Third, I don't think the enemies should have to be stunned in order to "boot" them or "super punch" them or whatever.

Question: Why are all attacks smashes when attacking Bowser? Also, close-range fighting against Bowser is going to be incredibly dangerous. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about this.

9. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I know jack shit about Battletoads, so I'll try not to say too much, lest I embarrass myself.

Well then they go down in one hit. As the weakest enemies, it isn't too far fetched that they would die before being stunned.
    Honestly, I've been waiting for a no-ranged character to show up. I think it would make them a little more unique than everyone else.

10. Captain Rizer

Damn you Google Chrome! Making me loose a whole long post >:/

Anyway, I say the enemies should all die different ways like so
    *Read my notes on the move set it should answer some of you questions on how bad guys go down

Goomba: Punches then Smash Punch

Koopa: Punches then it is in shell now you boot it

Para Troopas: Spike them from the air then boot their shells

Bloopers: Spike them in the water

Cheep Cheeps: Spike them from the air or in the water

Hammer Bros. : Punches then Uppercut

Piranha Plant: Either you can eat them with your tongue, or stand on the edge op pipe and you get an automatic super punch.

Bullet Bills: Can only be jumped on

Buzzy Beetles: Spike them on the ground making them go into their shells then boot em'

Lakitu: Spike from the air. or if your high enough ram em! Or what ever attack you want.

Spinies: Automatic boot to the head.
    *You can spike them in their ball

And read my notes to see how to beat Bowser. Just so you know Bowser can't be stuned read the notes why.

11. pokemondream

so on spike top you just die?

12. Captain Rizer

Well yeah, thats what everybody else has to do, except Sophia and Samus though.

13. pokemondream

well how does the toad hit the spikies like on the head

14. Captain Rizer

He doesn't, if he touches a spike top he dies period.

15. Captain Knight

Ok, I'm starting to get pissed off at the bad grammer :/

spikies? Spike tops, or spinies?

16. Captain Rizer

Lets Clarify this:

Rash CAN'T kill spiketops with out a shell

Rash CAN kill Spinies with his normal attacks

17. Captain Knight

Let's also Clarify this.

We have to have ALL OF THESE THEMES

Selection
    Overworld
    Underworld
    Underwater
    Night
    Castle
    Entering Pipe
    Bonus Area
    Invincibility
    Hurry!
    Death
    Game Over
    Stage Clear
    Castle Clear
    Ending

18. Captain Rizer

You know there is a different theme from castle clear, when you clear 8-4 its the game cleared theme.

19. Captain Knight

That's ending...

20. Captain Rizer

Oh i thought ending was credits... it wasn't very clear but for ending you could use the stage complete from Battletoads & Doube Dragon it sounds awesome.