Official Bill Rizer: The Koopa Wars

Bill Rizer, from Contra, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Okay, it turns out the Laser was a continuous beam in a Contra game: namely Contra III, but only in the top-down levels. In the side-scrolling levels it worked like the Laser usually did in Contra.
    This may be overpowering Bill a bit, but how about making use of the special button to give him two weapons?
    Normal: Rifle
    Mushroom: Machine Gun and 3-way Spread Shot
    Fire Flower: Laser (based on Scorpion42's description) and 5-way Spread Shot
    This could be implemented either by assigning Rifle/Machine Gun/Laser to Attack and Spread Shot to Special, or by using Special to toggle between the two. The second option might require some sort of visual indicator of which gun is currently active.
    Then again, Bill's pretty powerful already, and Jay might not approve of giving Bill a weapon that only appeared in top-down levels in one Contra game, so maybe just forget it.

2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I got an idea for the weapons. Primary and secondary weapons. The primary would be be dependent on your power level: normal, mushroom, and fireflower. The secondary would be either the laser or flamethrower which you get from enemy drops. The special button would allow you to switch between the two you have.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Or, you could use the special button to use the secondary weapon.
    Actually, that could be an option for Bill and Samus - choose whether to use the special button to use the secondary weapon (for Samus, that would be missiles) or to use the special button to switch between the two (preferably with a palette change - see Metroid for an example).

Rey D likes this.
  4. Mitewing

Good idea. I actually prefer the special button act like the NES select button whenever possible.

5. TheomanZero

I'd approve of this being an option, although the current way should be available as well.

6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think that's what he meant by "option". Something in the menu allowing you to choose the way you prefer.

Faruga likes this.
  7. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Fuck Bill Rizer. I want the SNES Contra3 guy, with the super fast machine gun as the starting weapon, and the screen-clearig bombs. LOL.

8. Rey D

Patron

Fuck you too! :p
    You know NES and SNES sprites have different size of sprites, right?

9. Faruga

Patron

About the thing with special acting like Select, it has been revealed that there will be a select button in the update and -
    ... Okay...

10. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

.... Gee, no, I had no idea that a 16 bit system had bigger sprites than an 8 bit one.

11. Faruga

Patron

SMW/SMAS have the same sprite sizes as NES Mario games.
    EDIT: Maybe Mega Man Soccer has sprites with the same size?

12. Mitewing

I wonder if Lance will be a skin. The only thing they would need to change besides the color is the portrait. Bill's appearance is based on Arnold Schwarzenegger, while Lance is based on Sylvester Stallone.

Rey D likes this.
  13. Rey D

Patron

→ There are quite great chances Lance will be a skin. :)

Mitewing likes this.
  14. Mitewing

I say this because he wasn't in the trailer and his Emoticon is sorely missing from the lineup. If they go by Contra 4 continuity, they can also add Mad Dog and Scorpion. Check out their picture with Bill and Lance here:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_4

Rey D likes this.
  15. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I support Lance as a alt skin for Bill now because of all the changes.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Maverick Hunter Zero

Maverick Hunter Zero Level 1: Goomba

wait, so the konami code works on super mario crossover?

17. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Where did you get that idea?

18. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

Turning Bill into a one-hitpoint wonder in version 2.0 actually makes him easily the most effective, straightforward character to play as. Everyone else needs a lot of upgrades to be useful, whereas Bill just needs a spread gun and he's set. Hell, he's actually quite effective even without it. Sure, you die if you get hit, but it doesn't take much building up to get him back to where he was - something that's definitely not true for the likes of Ryu or Belmont at the moment.

Honestly, I think that the other characters could stand to function a little more like how Bill does now. Mushrooms and fire flowers are pretty redundant for other characters, and keeping up with what they do for who is confusing. I mentioned this in Samus's thread (since issues tend to be shared between characters), and I think it would probably just be best to leave the mushrooms and fire flowers to the Mario Bros. and let the rest of the characters focus on their own upgrades.

19. TheomanZero

Fire Flowers aren't upgrades, they recover the upgrades you've lost. I kind of wish Bill had them too, so I could get back Rapid Fires when I lose them.
    EDIT: I just remembered that Fire Flowers only show up when you take damage but don't die, so they wouldn't work for Bill. Never mind.

uglyrodent likes this.
  20. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I really disliked Bill in 1.2. I like him a lot more now but I don't know why. The only things that bother me are the R's and the flame thrower. I don't notice a difference even with two Rs and the flame thrower has a very awkward trajectory. I've had it actually miss Goombas and boxes before even though I was aiming straight at them. It just looped right around them.

roman6a and uglyrodent like this.