Official Bill Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Mitewing, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Wow, loving the new edits, especially the helmet! Now he looks even more like Doomguy :) Great job.

2. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

DoomguyV2-WIP6.png

First attempt at an injured red marine... and John Romero's head because... I honestly have nothing better.

Also included an idea for the effect when invincible via Starman. In Doom, your vision got inverted when you got an invulnerability sphere.. so I figured it might be neat if Doomguy went inverted here. Used the selection pose just as an example.

...and now, sleep..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Mitewing, MissingNo2 and Alkerion like this.
  3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Here's an idea. Someone should attempt to resize the GBC Tomb Raider sprites (there were two games)!!!

4. ThomasMink

DoomguyV2-WIP7.png

• Reshaded chest using Frozsoul's chestplate as a base
    • Recolored bullets
    • New sprite for hits, using an edited sprite from Doom
    Not sure if I should swap the letters for the HUD out or not. I'm thinking of leaving them just for simplicity's sake.. despite there not being a 'laser' in use. Also not sure what to do with the little flame projectile.

Alkerion, PH-209 and Frozsoul like this.
  5. Frozsoul

Really nice. You did an excellent job with the reshaded chest, the sprite looks very professional! I also like the new sprite for hits.

Some general comments:
    • The helmet size when Doomguy is aiming both diagonally and straight up looks a bit small compared with the other sprites. Maybe it can be made slightly larger?
    • The character select pose is awesome, but the way the gun is being held looks strange, like it's being cradled in his elbow. Also, you could consider changing the color of the outfit for the second character select pose sprite to something like blue, so that Doomguy would flash colors when selected
    • The dying sprites look a bit goofy for Doomguy, even though I know they are based on existing sprites for Bill/Lance. Maybe something different where he's facing the direction that he's being thrown with his arms outstretched? (I could take a crack at this if you like)
    • The red Doomguy (Toad sprite) is good but his position is a bit awkward. Perhaps if he is facing downward with his second arm propping him up, and with a view to the player as opposed to profile?
    • I'm honestly not a fan of using the John Romero head sprite. I realize this is in keeping with the ending of DOOM II, but I don't think it's appropriate for a Mario-style game (which is otherwise very kid friendly). What if instead he rescued Commander Keen? This would be highly appropriate given his lineage and ID's references.

Alkerion and ThomasMink like this.
  6. ThomasMink

This is something I noticed too, but I'm terrible at trying to angle things. Rotsprite wasn't working all that well either. I'll see if I can do something.
    The gun is a little weird in general when it comes to that section of it. I'll probably leave it be because it'll only be seen very briefly anyway. Heck, there's a minor error on the Bill and Lance skins this one is using that no one has noticed at all. It's like the gun was copied from his 'shooting up' pose, and the little bit of his fingers from the other hand were kept in there as well.. despite him facing the camera with his other hand off the gun. I didn't notice it either until working on this skin, so I fixed it here. :)
    That said, I'll probably fix it for Bill and Lance as well when I'm done with this.
    EDIT: Oh right.. forgot to comment on the flashing.
    Forgot about it, really. Guess I could put it in using the color the previous skin used. Easy enough.
    If the dying sprite is changed, keep in mind that when he's dead he's lying on his back.. unless that gets changed as well. I'm fine with the current one, slightly off proportion helmet not withstanding.
    I originally wanted him leaning forward with his second arm propping him up, but the space is limited. I'll see what I can do though, especially since his boot bothers me.
    Only used Romero's head because I had nothing in the way of ideas. I have no idea why you'd save the 'final boss' and get thanked by him, but hey.. it was something. Commander Keen might be too cartoony, but we'll see. It would also be in contrast to Keen's actual appearance in Doom 2, where you could shoot his hanging corpse.. and I kinda like that. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Frozsoul likes this.
  7. Frozsoul

A bit off topic...while I absolutely love Pinkie Pie's versions of 16-bit Bill and Lance (they're pretty much my main Bill/Lance skins), I've always felt that the way the legs look in the standing frame look a bit odd. It looks like the left leg is completely in front of the right leg, which doesn't look quite right. I did a quick edit of these legs in the current Bill skin and I think it's an improvement; I've included the revised skin sheet below along with a comparison of how the edit would look in-game (original on the left, edit on the right):

Bill_008_Rev.png

Comparison.png

Even if this edit doesn't end up replacing the existing Pinkie Pie skins, I would suggest a similar edit at least be applied to the Doomguy skin.

Edit: Here's the comparison at 3x size:
    Comparisonx3.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I appreciate small improvements like this, and I think they should definitely be added to the game because they're easy to do.

ThomasMink and Frozsoul like this.
  9. ThomasMink

Did a few more tweaks, but nothing really all that major.. Frozsoul's leg tweak, the bluish armor for flashing, and a very small shoulder edit for one pose..

So instead of posting the whole sheet again:
    redmarine.png
    redmarinex2.png - x2 size

Red marine, take 2.

Alkerion, PH-209 and Frozsoul like this.
  10. Frozsoul

Yes!

11. ThomasMink

SMBC is over, so I'm just gonna stop working on Doomguy regardless of if I find it enjoyable or not. I mean, it's over...

But yea, anyway, now that I'm done being snarky...
    DoomguyV2-WIP8.png

• Bluish armor from the previous skin added for flashing
    • Leg tweak for standing
    • Shoulder tweak for walking off a ledge
    • Altered bullets using the ones from the custom Bill instead of.. I dunno where they came from before
    • Changed the flame projectile into a rocket, but I dunno how corkscrew rockets will look in motion...
    • Helmet changed for shooting up
    • Commander Keen test
    • Maybe another tweak or two in places that I'm forgetting
    And I still can't get the diagonal helmets to look acceptable. It's strange because it's something that doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult. Meh..

Alkerion and Frozsoul like this.
  12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

SMBC is 100% over? Where was this mentioned?

13. ThomasMink

Ok, it was 'almost over'.. but for the sake of my snarkiness, I figured I'd change it. Because, why bother working on skins apparently.. or something. I dunno.. need a nap.

Mitewing likes this.
  14. Frozsoul

Don't lose hope my friend. I don't think that with all of the tireless effort Jay, Zach and Blaine have put into this game since its inception it will be abandoned. I understand that development will likely be on hiatus now, probably until Super Action Squad is released, but I think it's evident Jay cares enough about this game and its many fans worldwide that he will find some way to sneak in some more time to support it in the future (perhaps next Christmas!). And in the absolute worst case scenario that the game is no longer supported by ER, I'm sure that someone will take up the cause to continue its great work, particularly if Jay decides to release the source code. At that point, all of the work that has been done on skins by the community will still be of immense value.

With all that said, I'd like to commend you again for all of the fantastic work you have done with my original Doomguy skin. I love all of the the updates that you just made. I think that once the weapons and portrait are finalized, this skin is more than ready for the Wiki and inclusion in SMBC. From what I understand, new skins are not that time-consuming to add to the game, so I think there's a good chance this skin will make it to the next major update. :)

ThomasMink and Alkerion like this.
  15. ThomasMink

Oh no, I wasn't being all that serious. I enjoy working on skins as a hobby too much. So even if SMBC did cease development, I'm sure I'd still work on a skin once every blue moon or so at least just for the hell of it.

As for Doomguy, I still have a diagonal helmet to figure out.. unless you want to take a crack at it. My efforts thus far have been pretty terrible. The weapons and protrait.. I was going to leave up to whoever, so I was just kinda going to leave them there on the sheet. My preference is the helmeted protrait (I'll probably have a go at trying to touch it up a bit) and ammo.. but who knows.
    Thank you for the kind words though, and also the critiques. Both are always welcome. :)

16. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

This depends on if the dev team deems it fitting or not.

ThomasMink likes this.
  17. ThomasMink

In the mean time, here's that minor fix for Bill and Lance I said I'd do before. Also did the leg tweak to Lance.

billfix.png
    Fixed on the left, current on the right. Enlarged to 2x. You can see the finger bits on the gun that I mentioned on the current one.

Bill_008_Rev.png Bill_009_Rev.png

18. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Only one thing about the "Commander Keen test". Why did you replace Romero's Head with Commander Keen? Doomguy and Keen may be relatives, but i would be more natural if something from the Doom universe (Like Romero's Head or the Bunny's Head at the end of Doom 2 SPOILERZ!) was there instead of Keen...

Also, we really need a skin for Commander Keen. Not a Bill skin, but any skin. ;)

19. ThomasMink

Horray! Some Keen critique!.. which is what I meant by 'test' really. Wanted to see what people thought.
    I didn't like the idea for Romero's head even when I went ahead and used it. Romero was an Easter egg inside the final boss of Doom 2 (and also the audio heard at the start). Doesn't make sense to me that you would save him at the end of SMBC. It's almost like Link saving Ganon.
    I put Keen in there because it makes more sense to me, despite the clashing styles. I am still quite open to other options though.

And, as for a Commander Keen skin, CuvisTheConqueror is way ahead of you... see here. :D

Frozsoul likes this.
  20. ThomasMink

Think I stumbled upon something for a portrait..

helmface.png

helmfacex2.png - x2 size

Someone named Eriance took the HUD face from Doom and put it into a completely custom helmet. I used the sprite when you get shot from the right, since I figured it might be more dynamic than him just looking forward. Also added the green bits just for the sake of this portrait.

Alkerion, PH-209, TheomanZero and 5 others like this.