Request Bomberman Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Another popular character, another thread. This time it's Bomberman!

Bomberman holds a special place in Mario's history. He co-starred in a game with Mario's sometime nemesis, Wario. The game was Wario Blast.

Personally, I feel Bomberman 2 for NES is the best game for his sprites. The original can be used as a skin. The basic powerup scheme may be:

Normal: One bomb with radius of 1 block.
    Mushroom: Two bombs, radius of 2 blocks.
    Flower: Three or four bombs, radius of 3 or 4 blocks.
    Star: Invincible to enemies and bombs.

Other powerups in Bomberman:
    Skate: Runs faster
    Detonator: Remotely denote bombs
    Brick: Walk through bricks

Discuss.

Crownjo, Anter, Omicron and 2 others like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Bomberman is a well-known video game character, and he had games on the NES. That qualifies him in my book.
    One of his power-ups has got to give him Remote Bombs though, because those are THE BEST. (Brick-walk is also THE BEST, but I don't think it would really be appropriate for SMB.)

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  3. Squaff

Squaff Level 5: Spiny

A big problem with most top down games is that their sprites look wrong in a side scrolling game. I remember a side scrolling Bomberman game. Not completely sure, but it may have been for a handheld console.

4. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

You'd fall through all the floors! :joy:
    He'd probably have to make him jump and walk exactly like Link, being that he's not from a platformer.
    There are so many characters that I've thought of requesting that just wouldn't work in SMBC for that reason; because they'd all feel just like Link.

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I think the sidescroller game was Pocket Bomberman for Gameboy Color.

6. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

Yes. Yes it was.

Crownjo and Mitewing like this.
  7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Whoooooooa! I didn't know there was precedent for a side-scrolling Bomberman game! That's excellent! :D

Mitewing and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  8. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

After getting mushroom or fireflower, he could be able to kick the bombs.

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Bomberman should have a small jump, and placing a bomb underneath and then jumping as it's about to explode should cause a super jump.

10. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Good idea, but I think he should just die in this case, to be more like the Bomberman series.

11. sbq92

The super jump idea would be cool, but alternatively, bombs placed in the air could stay in place, and then he could jump on them like platforms, but he'd have to be quick!

12. Omicron

Yes, that's even better. At first i thought Bomberman could be invulnerable to his own bombs, but that would break the game so much.

Also, bombs should snap to the tile grid to be more like the original.

TheomanZero and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  13. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

So if you drop one while falling, it would remain midair?

14. sbq92

Agreed. :)

Yes, although I suppose Jay could make it so if you press Down as you plant a bomb in the air it will fall to the ground.

15. Omicron

Or, if you step on a floating bomb, it starts falling instantly.

16. sbq92

So you have to move quickly. That's another interesting idea.

17. TheomanZero

The floating bombs that fall when you jump on them, pressing down to drop them in midair, snapping to tile grid -- I like all of these ideas. I also agree with sbq92 that the Super Jump would be neat, but making Bomberman immune to his own bombs would be too much.
    Also, it occurs to me that using floating bombs as platforms would allow Bomberman to have a weaker jump, like Mega Man or Ryu. That could be interesting.

Omicron likes this.
  18. sbq92

I considered the "weaker jump" as well. Having an alternate method of reaching high places makes for some more interesting and unique gameplay, as well as some interesting potential for speedrunning tricks. :p

Also, I agree that making him immune to his own fire negates a major part of the Bomberman series: the risk of killing yourself. Fortunately, in a side-scrolling environment, it would be a LOT more difficult to trap yourself, but you would still need to be careful not to get caught in a blast.

19. TheomanZero

I assume the we're thinking of the standard cross-shaped explosion?

20. Omicron

Of course. The only occurrences of spherical explosions so far were on 3D Bomberman games.

Platform-bombs could allow for a nice climbing trick similar to Samus' bombjumping: Bomberman jumps, and as he's on the middle of the jump, places a bomb; Then after the peak of the jump, falls over the placed bomb and jumps again; repeat. Using this Bomberman may go as high as a Rush Coil jump.

TheomanZero likes this.