Request Bomberman Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, Oct 16, 2011.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

World 1-1 mentioned bomb-kicking earlier. That's a good idea (although bomb-throwing and bomb-punching are probably too advanced for this game), but I think that perhaps bombs in midair shouldn't be kickable, as it would make using them as platforms more difficult. (Though bombs laid in midair can be kicked if you knock them to the ground first.)
    With perhaps one exception: in some (most?) Bomberman games, pressing the Bomb Lay button while standing on a bomb will kick it (so you can double-tap the button to lay a bomb and immediately kick it). I think perhaps if you double-tap the Attack button in midair, you could immediately kick a bomb forward, but you can't kick bombs that have already been laid (unless you knock them down).

2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I
    I forgot the kick bombs ability! That and the detonator are the best abilities. Did the kicking debut in a NES game? I remember it from SNES games.

EDIT:

Using the bomb explosions as jumps go against the core Bomberman gameplay. But in Pocket Bomberman you can stand on a bomb to reach a higher platform as long you do it before it explodes!

3. Squaff

Squaff Level 5: Spiny

You guys are adding stuff to Bomberman that he's never had. It sounds like he's just becoming a cheaper Samus. His air bomb shouldn't make him automatically stand on it. Bombs placed in air should appear on his body like normal ones. It is the Bomberman way.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

I don't think anyone was suggesting that. I was thinking that you would jump up and place the bomb, then jump on top of it. Alternatively, if you had good timing, you could place it on the way up and land on it on the way down.
    Anyway, if midair bombs fall when you stand on them, having Bomberman stand on them automatically would limit their usefulness greatly.
    By the way Squaff, bear in mind that unlike Samus, Bomberman can be hurt by his own bombs. That makes using them as platforms much riskier than bomb jumping (unless you have Remote Bombs, of course).
    On a related note, if Bomberman can stand on bombs in midair, should he be able to do that to bombs on the ground, too? That way, instead of using midair bombs, he could just stack up a tower and stand on that . . . if he has enough bombs . . . and he's fast enough to do it before they explode.
    Based on recent discussion, I think we should add to this that he gets Bomb Kick from a Mushroom and Remote Bombs from a Fire Flower.

5. Anter

Anter Level 6: Lakitu

You can find Bomberman for SMBC sprites here:

Mitewing likes this.
  6. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

In Bomberman 64 there was this super useful bomb-bridge advanced technique.
    You would place a queue of bombs on the ground, going from one ledge to another, then go to a high spot and jump on the bombs. Bomberman would bounce on top of the bombs all the way to the other ledge. Also you could make bombs jump on top of each other to create bouncing stairs that could take Bomberman higher than where he started.

Maybe we can explore this concept by making Bomberman bounce off his bombs instead of standing on them. That would make more sense and would even be more useful than platform bombs, since they can effectively be used as a lesser springboard.

sbq92 likes this.
  7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

As long as it's a high enough bounce, it could certainly work, and it would prevent having to be quick about jumping off of your bombs before they fall too far to reach your destination height.

So many ideas! I wonder if Bomberman is actually being planned by Jay right now anyway. In either case, there are certainly a lot of ways to make him function just fine in SMBC. :)

TheomanZero and Omicron like this.
  8. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

I think it's still better for bombs to 'splode Bomberman when he gets hit by them, but I just have a preference for the traditional Bomberman I'm used to.

9. Omicron

We're talking about bouncing on the bombs, not being launched by the explosion. This idea has been discarded already.

10. TheomanZero

Wait, you mean they explode when he touches them? I don't remember that happening in Bomberman.

11. Omicron

I think he meant being hit by explosions. In bomberman you're not hit by an explosion, you're hit by a bomb. Your own bomb.

12. TheomanZero

Okay, I know it's been a little while, but here's my input on bomb-standing versus bomb-bouncing:
    If Bomberman jumps on a bomb on the ground, he stands on it. You can even stack up multiple bombs to make a tower (although this is dangerous unless you have Remote Bombs).
    If he jumps on a bomb in the air, he bounces up and the bomb falls, possibly landing on the ground.
    How about that?

13. Omicron

Maybe. But two different results for landing on bombs can be counter-intuitive.

14. Mitewing

It should be like in Pocket Bomberman.

15. TheomanZero

Well, it makes sense to bounce up when bombs fall. Bombs on the ground are stable, so you should be able to stand on them.

16. Mitewing

Since 2.0 is out, Bomberman is a very ideal character due to his numerous powerups. There are 2 NES games that can be used as a basis. I think we should discuss this further.

17. Powerstars

Powerstars Level 3: Paratroopa

Say we could have some power-ups from his 3D games, working in a system similar to Bill?

18. Mitewing

What powerups are you referring to exactly?

19. Powerstars

Powerstars Level 3: Paratroopa

Sorry, I just am not that familiar with the NES games, and was referring to power-ups like the bomb punch and kick. Sorry for being a bit noobish :).

20. Omicron

Bomb punch and bomb kick were first seen in the AWESOME ATOMIC BOMBERMAN game for DOS and "win16 machines".
    [​IMG]
    THAT GAME IS JUST SO AWESOME I CANNOT SAY IT ENOUGH

Just look at it. It's a whole CD of sound effects for a 10MB game. Wonderful techno soundtrack, fluid and fast gameplay, and still works flawlessly on modern computers.

That game. Is a masterpiece.

atomicbomberman.gif