Request Bubble Bobble Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Since there's not a thread, I thought I'd start one.

Bub (and Bob) would provide fun and unique gameplay. There are also a large number of powerups that could be implemented. Please share your thoughts.

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Can you tell us about the gameplay and the powerups? I'd share my thoughts but I've never played it :p

3. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

He could be just like in BB. He walks, he jumps, and he shoots bubbles. But because of power-ups, we need to change him a bit.

Nothing: (Green) Shoots short ranged bubbles. Enemies get trapped in the bubble, and he kills them by popping it.
    Mushroom: (Blue [Bob's color]) Bubbles get long ranged.
    Fire Flower (Red, I guess?) Fire bubbles. If it hits the enemy, it dies instantly.

Music: BB theme for everything!

4. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Actually there is a few powerups I know about. One makes you faster and there is a super uber mega ultra rare powerup which gives you fire breath for a couple a stages. Beside that I don't know about anything else. Though there is a sequel game on the NES, but I have no clue what stuffs that have.

Oh and remember that there is no longer mushroom fire flower system...

5. Mitewing

Bub probably has more power ups than any other character currently, so the new power up system would work fine. I will copy and paste excerpts regarding the NES version from GameFAQs. The NES sequel adds at least one ability. This is when you hold the button that blows bubbles, Bub will inflate and float until released.

D-Pad : LEFT and RIGHT move you accordingly. UP and DOWN have no apparent uses.

B Button: Causes your dino to blow a bubble.

A Button: Causes your dino to jump.

-These will enhance the abilities of your dino.

Blue Candy..: This will allow your dino to shoot longer ranged bubbles. You will be able to trap enemies from a greater distance, which keeps you safer than a closer encounter would.

Green Candy.: This will allow your dino to shoot bubbles faster. You will be able to trap enemies faster than normal.

Purple Candy: This beauty of an item gives your dino both of the above listed candy powers.

Speed Shoes.: These increase your running ability. They come with a disadvantage though, you fall faster, it is harder to jump on bubbles, and you fall through blocks easier.

These are used to cause direct harm to the evil monsters of the cave.

Green Book..: Will cause all of the bubbles you blow to be lightning bubbles (see Helper Bubbles to get explanation). You can use those bubbles to shoot the enemy.

Blue Book...: Will cause a large earthquake to kill all of the enemies on the screen.

Green Tiara.: Apples will fall down from everywhere, and it will destroy all the enemies.

Blue Tiara..: Stars will fall down from everywhere, and it will destroy all the enemies.

Green Cross.: Will cause a large lightning bolt to fly from the top right to the lower left part of the screen. This will kill the enemies on the screen.

Blue Cross..: Will cause a large flood in the level, and all enemies will drown. You seem to be able to breathe underwater.

Red Cross...: Will cause you to blow fireballs. It has a limited quantity.

Red Necklace: The most common of the three necklaces, it will cause a NINJA DEATH STAR to fly around (actually it is just some sharp object, but anyway). It will kill in one hit, including enemies trapped in bubbles. Also, when it is triggered in a level with helper bubbles, no more helper bubbles will appear on that level.

Chakn Heart.: You can run into any enemy with this and they will be defeated immediately. If you fail to kill all of the enemies before it ends. They will be RED (angry), and you must then trap them, and kill separately. You also move as if you had running shoes when you pick this item up, but only while the item lasts.

Bomb........: This makes a very satisfying BOOOOOOOM! as all the enemy are blown away.

There three types of elemental helper bubbles: fire, lightning, and water. Each can kill an enemy at a single touch, and yield elemental crystals worth many points. These appear in certain levels, and are useful usually to attacking an enemy hiding in a hard to reach/dangerous to reach area.

o--------------o | Fire Bubbles | o--------------o

When popped, it will cause a single flame to fall downwards until it makes contact with the floor. It will then spread, and it will kill any baddie who touches it. This will cause the enemy to turn into a red crystal.

o-------------------o | Lightning Bubbles | o-------------------o

When popped, a lightning bold will shoot out in the opposite direction you are facing. If it makes contact with an enemy, the enemy will die. This will cause the enemy to turn into a purple crystal.

o---------------o | Water Bubbles | o---------------o

When popped, a jet of water will slide down through the level. If it makes contact with an enemy, they will die instantly. This will cause the enemy to turn into a blue crystal.

These are decently rare, but they are helpful, so make good use of them for killing the annoying enemies that you must face and destroy.

o----------------o | Bubble Hopping | o----------------o

This is an extremely important technique to master because it is needed to beat many of the levels, or at least to beat levels with greater ease.

To do this technique, you usually do it against a wall. You blow a bubble, jump towards the top of the bubble, and while holding the A Button down, you blow bubbles on the upward movement of your hop. This will allow you to climb to otherwise unreachable levels.

6. Artemus Harper

Artemus Harper Level 0: Newbie

The shoe (faster speed), candy (1 for faster bubbles, one for further bubbles) are the only perminate power-ups in Bubble bobble. I would make the further bubbles toggle able off as it can be harder to do bubble jumps with them.

Another interesting mechanic from Bubble bobble is that you can jump though the ceiling (although you can't move left or right while doing so). You will still bonk your head against blocks that contain powerups, but block pretty much can't be destroyed. Maybe only enabled for normally destructible blocks.

I would probably say when facing a boss, that the lightning powerup be granted (as an item when you enter the boss fight) since trapping the boss in a bubble isn't really feasible. This goes away when you beat the level.

As for killing enemies: All non-boss enemies should be trappable in a bubble, and can be killed by poping it. However, harder difficulties would cause enemies to break out faster.

No mushroom: Bub dies in most of his games from a single hit. Maybe give an extra hit that is refreshed at the start of each level on easy and very easy.

Characters: Bub, Bob, Kululun, and Cororon.

Star powerup: while active you use fireballs instead of bubbles.

Beating a level: The extend music

Coins: Random fruit (the extend letters might be too distracting).

Level intro: Inside a bubble floating off the bottom of the screen.

Climbing a vine: Use the entering door animation from symphony.

Other possible things: Fire only stuns, greatly reducing movement while inside?
    Dropping down a pit doesn't kill you, rather you appear at the top of the screen in the same location. Likewise you can bounce on bubbles up past the top of the screen and arrive at the bottom. This would help mitigate the only 1 hp rule.
    Lower timer, but when it runs out you don't die. Rather you get chased by an invincible ghost that gets faster and faster.

World 1-1 and Mitewing like this.
  7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Bubblun would be interesting, but any character that requires enemies to react in certain way to their attacks (being knocked back, inhaled, or in this case, turned into a bubble) requires a lot of extra programming. I suppose the bubbles could just kill the enemies, but wouldn't that be defeating the entire point of Bubble Bobble?
    That said, this thread gives me an idea . . .

8. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Bump because this was recently requested again and people missed the thread.

Any new character will require a lot of programming, though.

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Mitewing

You're right that it would require extra programming, but it would totally be worth it.

Anyway I haven't played this game since elementary school, so I'm trying to figure out what powerups we should choose from the long list and whether or not to use classic Bubble Bobble game play or add the abilities from the NES only Bubble Bobble Part 2.

10. Starz Lol

Starz Lol Level 5: Spiny

Ignore Bob and use Bub, just have Bob as a reskin.

11. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I doubt Bob will ever be a character. In fact, I don't think he should be. What a waste of coding. He would just be a skin as you said.

Mitewing likes this.
  12. E-Pro

E-Pro Level 3: Paratroopa

How about for starters you can only produce the lightning bubbles, so Bob/Bub could be added quickly without having to code the enveloping of badguys in bubbles. I'd be satisfied with that for now.

13. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Super_Bob_Bros.png Super_Bub_Bros.png
    I agree that they'd be better skins than characters. The gameplay in Bubble Bobble was HEAVILY dependent on the level design and I don't think it would translate well into SMB's levels.

E-Pro likes this.
  14. E-Pro

E-Pro Level 3: Paratroopa

These are great, this needs to happen. As far as powerups, I think the basic lightning, fire, and water would work great. I know the water typically washes the badguys down a hole, but it doesn't have to for this game.