Confirmed Bug collecting both a Mushroom and Poison Mushroom with boomerang

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Frozsoul, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

When playing as Link, if you throw your boomerang horizontally and ensnare both a Mushroom and Poison Mushroom with the boomerang and then collect both at the same time, Link flashes and the injured sound effect plays followed by the power-up sound effect, and there is no change in his status (showing that the two mushrooms correctly cancel each other out)

However, if the same situation happens when you throw and collect your boomerang vertically, Link dies, as if he collected just the Poison Mushroom alone.

The easiest place to test this is at the start of SMB Hard level 1-1.

Edit: The conditions of this bug has been corrected below.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Rey D and Alkerion like this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Have you tested the order in which they are collected by the boomrang ?

3. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Are you playing on classic or modern mode?

4. Frozsoul

I just tested it several times and you're right Rey - if you collect the regular mushroom first with your boomerang and then the poison mushroom and receive both at the same time, the outcome is correct. However, if you collect the poison mushroom first with your boomerang and then the regular mushroom and receive both at the same time, your character incorrectly only receives the effect of the poison mushroom. I've renamed this thread, thanks.

I tested the above in both classic and modern modes, and this bug occurs the same in both.

Alkerion likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I guess this is an old bug then. I thought I fixed it before.

6. Frozsoul

I'm pretty sure that before it didn't matter what order you collected the regular mushroom and poison mushroom, Link was killed by collecting both at the same time. I guess the fix at that time only worked if your boomerang collected the regular mushroom first.

7. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

TWO YEAR BUMP OH WHAT AM I THINKING

I think when you get the normal mushroom first, you get it just a frame before the poison mushroom, and thus being powered up and immediately powered back down.

but when you get the poison mushroom first, you get it just a frame before the normal mushroom, and thus being immediately killed before the other mushroom can get to you.

Mitewing and Faruga like this.