Bug Research & Discussion

Discussion in 'Game' started by Jay, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

This topic is for discussion of bugs. If you want to report a bug, do it on the bugs wiki page.

We have a new system for reporting and discussing bugs individually. Please see the following sub-forum.

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/forums/bugs.47/

If you are wondering about the new tabs that appear in the thread titles, those are for the moderation team to organize the reports which will make it even easier for Jay to filter the ones he needs to see.

Everyone likes this.
  2. Bugs / Glitches / Problems

Im not sure if this bug or feature - but single contact with any NPC makes you drop all the powerups.

Mushroom and Flower - both.
    As i remember original mario lost 1 powerup per contact, flower 1st, mushroom second.
    Even if it wasnt like that in original, i strongly suggest to make it like that, since loosing both powerups is annoying.
    ---
    Another thing also from same cathegory - not sure if this bug or feature - but i wish all the powerups collected by any character to be transfered to ever of them, so when next level bigins, in case if ill select another character, i wish him to be pumped up to limits like character i played in previous level.
    ATM it works like this - 1st i play bill, have both powerups collected. Next level, i select mario, and he have no powerups at all, its ruins original mechanics where all the powerups transfered to next level. So they should be shared for every character!
    ---
    turtle shell and anything that can be trown to enemy, can vanish right in the edge of screen instead of going beyond it. In original mario i could play "bowling" with NPC even if they not on current screen, and i even can catch "ball" back and die in original - here i wasnt able to catch it back if it goes out of screen.
    ---
    Very short music loop in main menu and selection screen - its very annoying, really, please use longer sound loop.

3. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Bugs / Glitches / Problems

About the Mushroom and Flower. No, in super mario bros you loose both mushroom and flower if you get hit. It is in super mario bros 3 where you only loose 1 powerup if you get hit.

About the powerup keeping, that is a feature. It is for that you can stock up powerups seperatly for each character. So if example Samus would loose her powerups, Mega Man would still have his own and you could use that out. Imagine this that you have a group of characters at your service(nearly like in a RPG), you may always pick one you want use for the stage. Only the life is what shared between them.

Yep, about the turtle shell kick. That one is indeed different. I would say it is kinda weird. Not to mention it makes some up-1 tricks difficult. Tgis thing also goes for items, like if a mushroom goes out of the screen it stops moveing at that spot until you not reach reach that part. I do not like this thing too much because it can be used up for cheating ^^;

What the heck? You have problem with the main menu music? It is the main Super Mario Bros theme, how could you ask that to be changed? Is it annoying for you also if you play with Mario then? I mean it is somewhat understandable for character select music, it surely can be annoying if you leave the game on that screen and etc, but otherwise I do not think you spend that much time on the character select screen at it gets on your nerves. If you need silence you can just pause the game. But heck, maybe the menu and character select music will be different after time as the game will grow bigger and stuff so I do not think is this should be something you should worry about.

4. gabrielwoj

gabrielwoj Level 1: Goomba

Well, just some warns, I think Mario must be fixed, he is too fast and have some glitches...
    Like floating in the air (when colide a block with a koopa troopa) and others...

5. gabrielwoj

Well another thing, the Support system is off?
    I send some 2 bug fixed and 1 great idea...
    Why that?

6. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

Now, please make a move to correct me if I am incorrect, as this is an ENTIRELY feasible possibility, but I think his speed is actually fine. I agree that it SEEMS fast, but I think it's the speed that it was in the original. Again, I could be wrong. :?

7. Groover

Groover Level 5: Spiny

Mario is OK. I love his speed. And Mario is for now best character in the water levels because other characters doing that shitty long jumps without new sprite animations. I always using Mario in that water levels. He is agility master ^^

8. gabrielwoj

Well, if that is!

9. Ganymede

Also, may I just say, I love your Cirno signature, hahaha. :D

10. J Squared

J Squared Level 7: Bloober

This is a minor issue, but the backgrounds of some objects, like clouds, hills, and bushes, are slightly off-color. The mismatch is hard to notice, but apparent if you look closely enough.

It looks like it might be residual compression artifacts. The following picture should make the issue more understandable:

[​IMG]

11. SeanEBlog

SeanEBlog Level 3: Paratroopa

Those red boxes you added dithered the pixels.

12. J Squared

J Squared Level 7: Bloober

The red boxes that I added did not dither the pixels. They were drawn over areas which were already dithered, so to bring them to attention. I'd guess some image compression algorithm is responsible.

13. asd1220

asd1220 Level 0: Newbie

hi, I gotta a bug

in level 1-2, there is a brick that cannot be destroyed

here is the pic

14. Ganymede

15. asd1220

en, there is another bug maybe

in level 8-4, there is a flame stick that is too long to pass

I use bill, even if he is lying down, the flame stick can also attach him

16. asd1220

17. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Sadly enough you cannot make it shorter. The problem there is that you cannot time your jumps well enough with Bill underwater like with others. Only Bill has problem there actually, but that is because Bill cannot control his jump heigth. So if you jump up there you most likely end up in a worst sec and you get hit. I would say also myself that thing can be a problem. But I also don't know what could be done for it so Bill can pass that part without getting hit.

18. Ganymede

I like that my entire comment was quoted, allowing the lovely Lamarr Burton to appear twice on the same page.

19. Groover

Groover Level 5: Spiny

20. onpon4

onpon4 Level -1: Banned

Bugs:
    • If big Mario ends up under a 1-tile-high gap, when he stands up, he can be sent flying off in one direction.[/*:m][/list:u]

Inconsistencies with originals:
      • Invisible 1up blocks are supposed to only appear if you warped to (or started in) this world, or if you collected all the coins in the previous world's level 3.[/*:m]
      • Mario jumps a bit higher, and his physics don't match up with SMB. This one may be unfixable, unfortunately.[/*:m]
      • Simon couldn't double jump in Castlevania, could he? I've only played Castlevania once, so I could be mistaken.[/*:m]
      • Lakitu comes back WAAAAY too soon.[/*:m]
      • In SMB, when you exit cloud bonus areas, the nearby enemies disappear. Because this doesn't happen in SMBC, you can sometimes be hurt almost as soon as you return (especially in World 3-1).[/*:m]
      • In SMB, enemies were killed as long as you were moving down, and otherwise Mario was hurt. SMBC instead checks if Mario is above the enemy, which can be annoying at times, especially in 2-3 and 7-3.[/*:m]
      • In world 3-1, the warp pipe should be the second one, not the first one.[/*:m]
      • In World 2-4, the lifts are moving in the wrong directions.[/*:m]
      • I seem to remember that the final Bowser both throws hammers and spits fire. This isn't the case in SMBC.[/*:m]
      • Bloopers actually had 2 different ways it would follow you: sometimes it would follow you based on your position, but other times it would simply go in the direction that you're facing. SMBC only has the former.[/*:m]
      • Firebars couldn't quite reach you if you ducked 3 tiles beneath their center. This made them a lot less annoying.[/*:m]
      • Stars start moving down in SMB; they don't immediately bounce up.[/*:m][/list:u]

Other bad things:
        • Why do the enemies take so many hits with the non-Mario characters? Maybe Lakitu and Hammer Bros should require a few hits, Bowser should definitely require a number of hits, and maybe even Koopas should take a couple hits. But goombas should be killed instantly, no matter what the weapon is.[/*:m]
        • Why do characters move faster in the "air" underwater? It's not like there's less friction further up in the water or something. Also, Bill and especially Simon are terrible in the water; they jump WAY too high.[/*:m]
        • Water music for the clouds?! That's ridiculous! Use another track! Even the invincibility music would likely be better for some of them.[/*:m]
        • Some of the music selections are lame. I especially don't like Samus's water music.[/*:m]
        • Mega Man's low-on-time track is unfitting. It sounds like it's coming from a party or something.[/*:m]
        • Zelda and Samus's low-health beeping sounds are too similar.[/*:m]
        • It's much too easy for non-Mario characters to get 5000 points at the end flag.[/*:m]
        • Some of the castles are not tiled correctly, with extra tiles found near them. [/*:m]
        • Hammer Bowser is too easy to beat with the non-Mario characters. Just sit back and shoot.[/*:m]
        • 2-3 and 7-3 are ridiculous with any character other than Mario and even with Mario himself. Only Mario and Simon can get past the huge pit halfway through without jumping barely off the edge. Cheep cheeps also cannot be fought very easily, and only Mario and Mega Man have the speed to get through, really. The method of deciding who gets killed makes this problem worse.[/*:m][/list:u]

That's the list I can come up with right now. I might add more if I think of more later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.