Request Captain Viridian (VVVVVV)

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Lilfut, May 7, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Alright, so, VVVVVV. I think the main character should be in SMBC. Basically, he can flip gravity. And... That's it. So, that's what he would do in SMBC. Powerups? No need, he can't hit blocks. How do we keep him from just skipping the whole level? Add a tripwire to the top of the sky. If he touches it, it flips him back to the bottom. He can't kill enemies. In cave levels, an extra tripwire should be added over the entrance, so he still can't skip the whole thing. For that bit at the beginning of 1-2, since he can't duck or break blocks, we should make him able to squeeze through 1-block passages. Thoughts?

uglyrodent likes this.
  2. Lilfut

Made this:
    [​IMG]
    The second standing sprite is for mid-flip/falling, and the checkpoint is for selection (the checkpoint's in front of him and he walks past it, offscreen)

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I support this fully. Portrait could use some work though.

4. Lilfut

I know. I used the ending picture and shrunk it down.

Also, as a test of the skin to work for something other than Viridian and his crewmates, Dr. Tary from the Streeeeeemerz mode of Streemerz.

[​IMG]
    (It also demonstrates a new version of the template, that goes Standing, Walking, Walking, Flipping, Dead)

And I'm not a good enough spriter to make it, but this cover art for PPPPPPowerup should be used as reference for the 16-bit skin.

Oh, and here's Vitellary:
    [​IMG]
    We might be able to get away with just recoloring that portrait for Viridian and the rest of the Souleye's crew, actually.

Violet:
    [​IMG]

Vermillion:
    [​IMG]

Victoria:
    [​IMG]
    (she's sad because that's how she is when you rescue her)

Verdigris:
    [​IMG]

And finally, updated Viridian:
    [​IMG]

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  5. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

Clever idea, and I'd LOVE to hear some of the great music from VVVVVV like Pushing Onward or whatever you call it, however..

I don't think it would work all that well, because there isn't always a place to land. You'd end up falling into the sky after the first 1-up block. D:

6. uglyrodent

Lilfut likes this.
  7. Alias X Beoulve

That sounds like it would be way too easy though, and not hazardous enough for an actual character. It's almost like cheating.

8. uglyrodent

Well it would seem that way, but if I recall correctly you can't change gravity in mid-air meaning he HAS to fall all the way once he hits that tripwire. And that means he had to fall up AND down all the way if you messed up. He can't change horizontal direction by that much in mid-air, either. He would have a lot of advantages, yeah, but I think he'd make the environment really new and have his own set of irritating challenges (can you imagine playing him on a Lakitu level? Or a cheep-cheep bridge?).

9. Alias X Beoulve

My point exactly; you can't change gravity mid-air. Because of that, you'd fall into the sky.
    Either the tripwire in the sky would make the game way too easy, not having to avoid anything the hard way, or; impossible to complete.

Not to mention the fact that he would have absolutely no powerups upon recieving a mushroom.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'm not sure you understand how tripwires work. It's a line that, as soon as you touch it, automatically switches gravity. That is, if you reverse gravity and fly up to the top of the screen, it immediately sends you back down again. You wouldn't be able to stay at the top of the screen for any significant length of time except in levels with ceilings.

11. Alias X Beoulve

I know how it works, don't patronize me.
    I'm saying if you have one, the game would be broken. Without it, the game would be broken as well.

12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

How? How would the game be broken if you had one? It'd be like if you could jump to the top of the screen, but with no control over your jump height and very little control over where you land. Every gravity switch would be a potential hazard unless you thought them out very carefully, and you'd have to use them to get past any obstacle.

uglyrodent likes this.
  13. Alias X Beoulve

That sounds so easy to the point where it's boring and unnecessary.

And that still doesn't solve the matter of him not having any powerups or abilities other than just jumping. :rolleyes:

14. Lilfut

It really wouldn't make things that much easier. If you read the OP, he can't get powerups, so he only has one hit point to carry him through the game. The tripwire wouldn't really let him skip over much, it's basically a super-high jump.

Could someone help me prove my point here? I have the 3DS version, but I know the PC version has a level editor. Could someone remake 1-1 (or better yet, 1-3, since I would think it'd be a blast as Viridian) in it and put up a video?

Also, any skilled spriters wanna try their hand at 16-bit Viridian?

Also, skin ideas? Keep in mind that the template can't be changed too much, since hitbox dissonance just isn't an option with a character that requires as much pinpoint movement as Viridian.

(also, for further reference on 16-bit Viridian)

sbq92, TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  15. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron