Challenger's Almanac

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by aliceandsven, Mar 25, 2012.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This thread is here to catalog useful tricks and techniques that challenge runners can employ to improve their play. This may contain exploitable bugs which could be fixed in a later patch, so keep that in mind. I'll try to keep it updated though. If you have a trick, technique, etc. post it here and I'll add it to the OP.

Speed tricks - specifically useful for improving speed

Mega Man

sbq92: Anything that minimizes your time of not going fast is important to remember. For example, Mega Man can move faster while he's on the ground because of his sliding, so try to spend as little time in the air as possible. What's helpful to remember in this case is that Mega Man has air acceleration, which means he falls faster the longer he falls. So, take advantage of this and don't just fall off of ledges, but make little hops off of them. The faster he reaches the ground, the sooner you can start sliding again. (Note that this assumes Jay incorporated this, but it feels like he probably did.)

Bass

After a dash jump you can jump again and maintain your air-speed without having to dash again. Requires extreme precise timing but is doable with human reflexes.
    General tricks - useful in a multitude of situations

Sophia

Sophia can pass through solid tiles wherever there is a one-block wide vertical gap and if you have the abilities that lets you stick vertically to walls, and hover. Roll down inside of the gap then mash the Jump button. The idea is to enter the hover sprite so that your hitbox is larger than the gap, then Sophia will be pushed inside of the blocks. You can see this technique used in this video:

sbq92 likes this.
  2. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Funny enough, Bass' dash trick is identical to how Zero's dash trick works on the GBA series.

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Does the SOPHIA glitch still work in 2.0?

Anything that minimizes your time of not going fast is important to remember. For example, Mega Man can move faster while he's on the ground because of his sliding, so try to spend as little time in the air as possible. What's helpful to remember in this case is that Mega Man has air acceleration, which means he falls faster the longer he falls. So, take advantage of this and don't just fall off of ledges, but make little hops off of them. The faster he reaches the ground, the sooner you can start sliding again. (Note that this assumes Jay incorporated this, but it feels like he probably did.)

Another thing is that platforms that are moving in the opposite direction to you slow you down a lot, so jump as soon as you land on one in order to minimize the slowdown.

I'll post more tricks as I think of or discover them. :)

4. aliceandsven

Thanks SBQ that's a well known trick in the mega man speed running community, adding it now. I don't know how much difference it's really going to make, but it can't hurt to inform people.

Yes, sophia's glitch still works :p

EDIT: I Just noticed Bass doesn't really need to hop-fall from ledges because he can dash off them to maintain full speed. This game is very horizontal so I don't think hop-fall will make much of a difference even on Mega Man. I could be wrong.

sbq92 likes this.
  5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I don't know if this is simply a computer quality issue or an actual game issue, but there is this short window of time between the loading level card and the beginning of gameplay when pressing keys registers (this also happens when going down pipes). This can be used to quickly switch to a weapon or start shooting or sliding at the same time gameplay starts up. I use it quite a bit. Although, I suppose if it's just a processing issue and not all computers can do it, perhaps it should be considered an "illegal" move for challenges. If it happens to everyone, though, then it is a great time-saving trick. :)

6. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

• On underground levels, use the super arm whenever possible. The large number of bricks makes it the perfect place to use it, and it has the potential to one-hit kill stronger enemies.
    • The charge kick can slice through brick very easily, and if used wisely, can also help you get through levels with efficiency. Also, when using the charge kick, you can easily get out of tight spots where you're surrounded by enemies.
    • When fighting Bowser, jump over low fire, slide under middle fire, and ignore fire on the top.
    • When using the super arm, remember that the four pieces of brick that fly off also harm enemies, although they do less damage.
    • Choose your weapon wisely. The machine gun can keep firing when you hold the attack button, the spreader covers a wide range, the flamethrower can kill buzzy beetles and bullet bills, and the laser deals multiple hits.
    • Use bombs wisely. They take a couple seconds to detonate, and when used with good timing, it's possible to kill Bowser with nothing but bombs. But w/o the blue ring, Link can be hit with his own bombs.

7. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It is possible for Mega Man to switch weapons while shooting. In other words, you can have a Water Shield around you while you should be using Flame Blast. Check this out.

8. aliceandsven

It seems hard to do

9. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Not really, you just need good timing.

10. sonicmariofan

sonicmariofan Level 3: Paratroopa

thanks ur the best:')