Change Red Ring to Magic Sword

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 11, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I approve of combining the Magic Sword and Red Ring into one item, since it gives Link one fewer item to keep track of and their functions are related, but I think the Magic Sword works better as the combined item. There's already another Ring, so the Sword is more distinctive, and its functions are related to attacking, so it seems more pertinent to Link's weapon than the color of his Tunic.
    If you're really attached to the Red Ring, you could make it the item that protects against bombs and have the Magic Sword turn his tunic blue. Or you could just leave the Blue Ring. Four Swords Adventures had a Blue Bracelet that halved damage, so only having the Blue Ring makes sense with the series? Sort of?
    EDIT: Also, it might make a nice visual touch if the Blue Ring gives Link the Magic Shield . . . unless you've got plans for that in a later update.

2. TheomanZero

Since it's been a week and a half, I think I can safely double-post. I happened to mention this suggestion in another thread, and someone completely misunderstood me. So here's as clear an explanation as I could muster:
    1. The Mushroom gives you the White Sword and does not change your tunic color. The Blue Ring protects you from bombs and turns your tunic blue. The Magic Sword increases your sword power, gives you Sword Beams, and turns your tunic red.
    Or:
    2. The Mushroom gives you the White Sword and turns your tunic blue. The Red Ring protects you from bombs and turns your tunic red. The Magic Sword increases your sword power, gives you sword beams, and does not change your tunic color.
    In any case, Link would have the same number of power-ups as he does now, and they do the same things -- I'm just saying that you should get a more powerful sword and Sword Beams from the Magic Sword instead of the Red Ring, and possibly change the tunic colors around.

3. TheomanZero

Ugh, I have the only three posts in this topic. I feel bad about this, but it's been three days since my last post, so it's really too late to edit. Sorry for cluttering up your page with marmoset pictures, everyone.
    Anyway, I've ultimately changed my mind and decided I want the Red Ring and Magic Sword separate again. I want to collect the Magic Sword as an item, but I also want the Tunic color changes to correspond nicely to the Rings. Plus, I think that having a more powerful sword and Sword Beams as separate power-ups makes you appreciate them both more. Knocking off the Quiver and Bomb Bag really helped reduce Link's excessive number of items (I still want Link to start with the higher capacities, by the way), so I think he can afford to keep one more.