Character Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Jay, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Hey guys. As you know the characters are going to be skinnable too, so I just figured I'd start a thread about it. And I changed the name of this subforum from "Level Skins" to "Skins," so now you can just talk about all skinning in this subforum.

With character skins, there will be a sprite sheet that has every sprite for the character used in the game. Making a new skin is as simple as changing the graphics for each sprite. And it's as easy as pie for me to put it in the game.

Also, this feature will allow us to put characters in the game without really putting them in the game. For example, someone could make a Proto Man skin for Mega Man. He'll play exactly like Mega Man, but he'll look like Proto Man.

Everyone and hunter2258 like this.
  2. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

Mushroom Kingdom Fusion has a similar thing, but these are good news.

3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Well... a few questions.

Let's take your example of Proto Man. Would it be possible to change not only the character skin, but other aesthetics of that character? Such as his power shot sprite (I believe it's different from mega man's in 9/10).

Would it be possible to incorporate his shield mechanic (blocking when he jumps)? It might not be necessary seeing as how most enemies don't really shoot at you, although it would be fun to be able to deflect hammers from the Hammer Bros.

4. Jay

A skin is only for changing graphics. So yes, you can change the power shot sprite because everything related to the character will be on the sheet, including their bullets/weapons. To change how a character behaves, it'd have to be a separate character and not a skin.

5. Anon1548

Anon1548 Guest

Well, this way you could make a Luigi-Skin for Mario. I think this is a cool idea.

6. aliceandsven

Ok, well I can do without the shield. I was just worried about the shot graphics.

7. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

It's simple enough how this'll work, BUT...

As busy as I am making things for MM8BDM, I wanna get a head start on making these things. Could you link me over to a complete sprite layout, including power ups and flashing (invincible) ?

Also, should we just post the spritesheet, or would you like them in a "programming" format, like SLumpEd?

EDIT: Forgot another thing. Will "detached" parts of the character be able to be skinned? For example, could you change Rush into the Proto Coil, or change the bullets that the characters fire?

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

How exactly are these going to work? Do we simply create our own and use them, or do we have to send them to Jay or Ryuza first to be uploaded?

9. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Will we be able to edit the character's name in the upper left hand corner of the screen?

10. Rockstar_Bob

Rockstar_Bob Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Dude, If that came with this feature, I wouldn't have to ask for Trevor. I could just skin him in myself. :D

11. sbq92

That would be interesting... It would turn character skinning into pseudo character creation, which is a little unusual, yet at the same time, that's pretty much what character skinning is, isn't it? You just know everyone is going to skin Mega Man to look like Protoman, or Mario to look like Luigi, or Simon to look like Trevor.

I'm really looking forward to this. :)

12. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

For this to work (as an unlockable) you would have to beat the game as that character.

So beat the game with Mega Man to get the Proto Man Skin

also you could press the special button to switch skins on the character select screen.

13. Jay

Wow. I guess this subforum is more popular now since I linked it from the front page. Anyway, I was just telling you this for you guys to start thinking about it. When we're ready, we'll release the official sheets from the game. You'll only be able to skin with those sheets. And yes, the only way they'd actually get in the game is if I put them in. At this time, you can't upload your own skin and have it show up in the game.

Remember, character skins are only to change the sprites used with the character, not their behavior. It's mostly designed to put other versions of the characters in the game so that more games can be represented. When I release the next update for the game, I'll post the sheets and detailed instructions. So just start talking about what you might want to do with the characters. And remember, character skins are only one part of it. Levels and enemies will also be completely skinnable in the next version.

Edit: And if you don't want to wait for the official sheets to be released, you can just download a sprite sheet from a website like Spriter's Resource and replace the sprites in that. Then when the official sheets come out, you can just put the sprites in the right places.

Edit 2: We just decided that you will be able to change the character's name with each skin. I'm such a pushover. :(

14. sbq92

Sounds excellent. I already have a Protoman sprite sheet pretty much ready to go. All I'll have to do is plop it into your format and it'll be good to go. I suppose using the skins it would also be possible to change Fire Storm into Atomic Fire, which is something I've been wanting to have implemented for a while. :)

15. RedXe

RedXe Level 3: Paratroopa

seems like you could use existing sheets and just assign them the another character's behaviors too (that is like, have bill's sprites have samus' behavior) and then make some new mode for it. Be something crazy like you pick a hero for the whole game, and at each stage/continue a new behavior set is randomly used. Has a lot of shortcoming in this idea though >.<

16. sbq92

Are the skins going to have to perfectly match the dimensions of the original sprites? For example, the Bass sprites from Mega Man 10 are slightly taller than Mega Man:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Will it be possible to include Bass like this?

17. aliceandsven

Ok, one thing that sort of relates to this topic.

Do you have any plans to add characters from games that are already featured as unique selectable characters? (ex. Bass) Or is part of the reason why you want people to have skinning because this is not one of your plans?

18. Jay

Nope. That won't work.

Don't worry. A lot of thought went into these sheet designs. There is a little space around each sprite to allow for bigger sprites.
    I prefer to add more unique characters instead of characters that are similar to others. So it's best to just use skins for stuff like that. Anyway, a character that is a skin could always be converted into a separate character if we wanted to. So just do skins for now.

19. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Would it be better if there was a separate thread started for Character Skin requests/suggestions or should there be a section in the Wiki for this?

20. Jay

Just do it here for now. I'm watching your every move. ;)