Character Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Jay, Mar 2, 2011.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

I think the mask needs to be bigger on his big sprites.
    Also, isn't that Mario? Aren't there original Mario 3 sprites for Luigi or am I mistaken?

TheomanZero likes this.
  2. Powerstars

Powerstars Level 3: Paratroopa

Dude, you're such a damn genius!

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

That's nice, but you should really use the taller, thinner sprites. (I know that Luigi was fat in the original SMB3, but Luigi's SMB3 skin in SMBC uses an 8-bit devamp of his SMA4 sprites.)

4. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

It's actually Jay's (or Ryuza's) fault since they never updated the Mario and Luigi sheets like they said they would. And I'm a terrible devamper...But I'll work on it anyway. It was really something I made in 30 minutes.

5. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Actually guys, if you look at how Mr. L appeared in Super Paper Mario he had Luigi's head, but his body was a redone version of Mario's (same shape, proportions, etc.). Since they have the same head in SMB3 (I think), this sprite sheet can actually be considered dead on.

DarkBowser100 likes this.
  6. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

True, and I was originally going to make the overalls into the black jumpsuit with green scarf, but the jumpsuit looked absolutely ridiculous in SMB3 Style. So I just stuck with making the mask and making Luigi dark green.

7. Powerstars

Powerstars Level 3: Paratroopa

Those are 16-bit (The different Luigi sprites).

DarkBowser100 likes this.
  8. TheomanZero

Well, maybe the same thing can be done here -- Luigi's head on Mario's body. It'd make him look less like Mario.
    Anyway, Ryuza must have gotten those sprites from somewhere, though a half-assed Google search on my part revealed nothing.

9. silentshadowxp

Here. These were the Mario 3 sprites in All-Stars with a Luigi that looks similar to the one Ryuza used.

10. TheomanZero

Yeah, but those are 16-bit. We need the 8-bit version (which I'm pretty sure is custom).

11. silentshadowxp

It's really not that hard to make custom 8 bit graphics from 16 bit. He probably did it himself.

12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Idea: screenshot the sprites directly from SMBC and shrink them.

13. uglyrodent

This will not work. At all.
    I recently set up a system in GIMP so I can turn any 16=bit or higher sprite into 8-bit. I can't guarantee quality since it's largely automated, but if anyone wants I can help out with stuff like this.

14. Faruga

Patron

Just "Image>Mode>Indexed>Optimum palette>3>Convert", right?

15. uglyrodent

Close, except sprites could use as many as six (due to using overlapping sprites). Also, I added the NES palette GIMP, making it that much more accurate.

16. Faruga

Patron

So did I.
    Ages ago.

uglyrodent likes this.
  17. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

How do you think I made Power Zero Suit Samus' portrait? :\

18. uglyrodent

Well that's one image. An entire spritesheet of it would come out terribly.

19. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

Ah. In that case, you're right. Besides, I think that 8-bit Luigi sheet is in MFGG...

20. TheomanZero