Character Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Jay, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Mario-Fan has got them.

EDIT: Ninja'd. I thought they weren't in Spriter Resource.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  2. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

Updated again. mario.png The rush marine is now the submarine from SML, Mario's fist is now a bullet bill cannon, the energy balancer is a flashing M block, and the energy pellets and capsules are now numbered blocks (pellets give 2 bars and capsules give 10, right?). Also, the rush warp is no longer a falling spring, but rather the regular one, and the charge kick slash is a fire attack.

TheomanZero likes this.
  3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

The one below the fist appears right after the fist. Make the handless arm the cannon as well.

4. DarkBowser007

Yo dawg, I heard you like fists...Anyway, I'm not sure if the handless one is used or is just a template for the other arms.

5. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

Ha...Mario Man. Like Wario Man before him, he will save the world. Anyway, I noticed the sprite doesn't have a mustache. Have you considered putting like a brown one on him so it stands out against his black mouth, or atleast taking the mustache out of the portrait?

6. Faruga

Patron

lol
    I'm pretty sure it's for the Hard Knuckle because a) Not all other hands are straight and b) I think Ryuza posted a list of the arms somewhere and put the armless one under Hard Knuckle.

7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The handless arm is definitely for Hard Knuckle. It's like that in MM3. It does only show up for a split second, but it's there nonetheless.

Also, have you considered even just covering up his mouth with a mustache? I think that could look good.

ThomasMink and TheomanZero like this.
  8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Agreed.
    Also, couldn't you just use an Ice Flower for Water Shield?

9. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah, Starman as the projectile... and what about fireballs for water shield too?

10. DarkBowser007

Just make the Fire Flower ice-blue, and we're good lol.

*facepalm* The starman is doable, but FIREballs for the water shield? Really? It wouldn't make sense.

EDIT: Added the mustache, pharoh shot is now a starman, and the water shield is now the ice flower. mario.png This is the next-to-final version of this skin. I think this skin is almost completely finished (the mustache looks a little weird when Mario's mouth is closed, but it looks good on an open mouth...decisions can be tough.)

nickreaper likes this.
  11. Rey D

Patron

HERE ARE ALL THE NEW PORTRAITS! For your beautiful admiring eyes.
    I'm going to use the URLs to the direct threads, except for Rash for which I haven't find the exact thread. And Bunny Link. Because I put it in the sheet directly.

Shatterhand from NES Shatterhand (self-rating: cool): Shatterhand_portrait.png
    Rash from Battletoads (self-rating: decent): Rash_portrait.png
    Bunny Link from SNES TLoZ a Link to the Past (self-rating: Great!): Bunny_Link_Portrait.png
    Arthur from Arcade Ghosts'n'Goblins (self-rating: Fine): Arthur_portrait.png
    Simon from SNES Super Castlevania IV (self-rating: nice! But why does it remind me Brentalfloss??): SNES_Simon_portrait.png

EDIT: They're all made from scratch, except for Bunny Link because I wanted to make the portrait remain as close as possible as the current Link portraits in SMBC.

EDIT 2: I agree, Bunny Link is a bit scary. But after all, Link has to go through a chaotic parallel world and it turns him into a defenseless animal. Turning crazy is more than possible.

ThomasMink and uglyrodent like this.
  12. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Thanks! And Simon's face does have a Brentalfloss look, that's random lol.

13. Rey D

Patron

I ended up being more late to post the portraits because I improved my oldest portraits. :D I don't think I've really planned on doing that, but as I wanted to remove the redundant purple crop, I thought: "Why not profiting and re-touching the portraits as well?". And there you go:

Improved:
    Roll: Roll-helmet_portrait++.png I barely touched her. I only felt like there wasn't much to do.
    Kirby: Kirby_portrait+.png The fact that it was near complete but not really stressed me a bit. So I went further. I removed the palette for his eyes for a more NES-ish feeling. Spriting Kirby is not the easiest thing to do...
    Dr. Wily: Dr_Wily_portrait+.png Since I improved a lot on spriting hair, I thought I had to "fix" Wily's. Also improved his neck and around.
    Black Mage: Black_Mage_portrait+.png This one really needed some touch. Not sure if it really feels like the Final Fantasy black mages though.

Unimproved: Awesomeface_portrait.png RMM_portrait.png Quickman_portrait.png Dr_Light_portrait.png Crystalishero_portrait.png Gimmickhero_portrait.png

aliceandsven likes this.
  14. aliceandsven

I love the new Black Mage portrait, it looks much better and much more like the actual black mage dudes.

15. sbq92

I know full well that there isn't a lot of space to work with, but the mustache kind of makes it look like he has fangs... I don't really have a solution, but if you can do something about it, that would be good.

16. DarkBowser007

Fixed. mario.png As you can see, the mustache isn't the only thing I changed. The fire tower powerup is now a Fire Flower, the mega buster shots are now fireballs (full charge is the rainbow-colored podoboo), Mario flashes different colors when he gets hit, and the pharoh shot Starman now flashes different colors when being charged (notice the mini-starman now a stone look). This is the final version of this skin, and this will be the one to be submitted to the wiki. I'm not taking anymore suggestions.

17. Faruga

Patron

Nice, but what to do about the Magma Bazooka?

18. sbq92

It's not implemented yet, and semi-informed intel suggests it may be replaced anyway (i.e., I talked to Jay about it and he wasn't really opposed to the idea of choosing something else to represent MM9).

DarkBowser100, Rey D and 狂人さん like this.
  19. aliceandsven

I love the gigantic podobo of doom

DarkBowser100 and Rey D like this.
  20. DarkBowser007

XD Yeah, that's the full charge shot. Imagine this tearing through goombas!