Character Voting Results

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Captain Knight, Mar 26, 2011.

1. pinkpuff

pinkpuff Level 3: Paratroopa

Nope, there are many ways to vote, and many ways to order lists. It was not clear that you wanted the lists to be ordered at all, let alone what ordering you wanted used.

I did not. In fact, I have not put much thought at all into the ordering of the characters I listed. Just because I put a 1 by Luigi and a 3 by Kirby does not mean I want Luigi in it more than I want Kirby. I might or I might not, I haven't thought too much about it and didn't think it was relevant to to the voting.

No, 30 out of 33 put numbers by their character names. That does not mean that the one they listed as "1" is the one they want most. Some of them might mean that and some of them might not. You can't tell from just that data alone.

Because the evaluation scheme you're currently using does not reflect the way you set up the poll. If it happens by coincidence to turn out the same as a more accurate scheme, that doesn't make the scheme you used accurate.

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Alternative Results

************************* - kirby - 25 Votes (1st) - Originally 1st (0 Difference)
    ************* - sonic - 13 (2nd) - Orig. 3rd (+1 Diff.)
    *********** - rash - 11
    (3rd) - Orig. 2nd (-1 Diff.)
    ********** - scrooge - 10
    (4th) - Orig. 4th (0 Diff.)
    ********* - pit - 9
    (5th) - Orig. 5th (0 Diff.)
    ******** - luigi LL
    ¹ - 8 (6th) - Orig. 8th (+2 Diff.)
    ******* - rad spencer - 7 (7th) - Orig. 6th (-1 Diff.)
    ****** - ninja turtles - 6
    (8th) - Orig. 11th (+3 Diff.)
    ****** - protoman - 6
    (8th) - Orig. 8th (0 Diff.)
    ****** - arthur - 6
    (8th) - Orig. 6th (-2 Diff.)
    **** - bass - 4 (9th) - Orig. 10th (+1 Diff.)
    - alex/kunio - 3 (10th) - Orig. 17th (+7 Diff.)
    ** - nova (Metal Storm) - 2 (11th)
    ** - shatterhand - 2 (11th)
    ** - solid snake - 2 (11th)
    ** - toad - 2 (11th)
    ** - lakitu - 2 (11th)
    ** - pikachu - 2 (11th)
    * - g. fuma - 1
    * - luigi SMB2 ¹ - 1
    * - thonolan - 1
    * - peach - 1
    * - firebrand - 1
    * - bop-louie ² - 1
    * - batman - 1
    * - fred flintstone - 1
    * - Valkyrie (macross) - 1
    * - hammer bro. - 1
    * - felix the cat - 1
    * - alucard - 1
    * - Link Z2 - 1
    * - ice climbers - 1
    * - Gimmick - 1
    * - master higgins - 1
    * - bub - 1
    * - bomberman - 1
    * - donkey kong - 1
    * - vic viper - 1
    * - mike jones - 1
    * - captain falcon - 1
    * - yoshi - 1
    * - mike haggar - 1

All votes counting for one point.

Differences taken from original results.

¹ Original results failed to list SMB2 Luigi despite asking for specifics, and SMB2 Luigi did receive a vote
    ² Received a vote but was not featured in the original results

3. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

So yeah, the only difference is that Bass got switched with Ninja Turtles.

4. aliceandsven

No... Check again, there are many differences

5. Captain Knight

What I was focusing on was the Top 10, not the rankings.

It doesn't really matter anyways, this isn't the poll.

6. aliceandsven

You insisted that the results for the top ten that you arrived to would not be different from the results derived from 1-point votes.

There is a clear inconsistency between both sets of results. In the second set there are only 4 characters in the top ten that match the first set. The second set more accurately reflects the poll because you failed to mention your scoring method until after all the votes were tallied, and because it is possible that people would have changed the order of their votes if they had been aware of this. We cannot assume that everyone who voted used a numbered list because they were prioritizing their votes.

Edit: I don't know what you mean by "this isn't the poll"... we're discussing the poll.

7. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

In A&S's post, there are 12 in bold. Because it has a triple tie. But I think it should be Top 10, so I think, since that there're three 8ths, 9th and 10th go out.
    Only problem: in A&S's, Bass is out and TMNT is in, and in CK's Bass is in and TMNT is out. So, maybe it should have both, making it a Top 11th. With that, no matter the result you take.

8. Captain Knight

Let's see, there's Kirby, Rash, Sonic, Rad Spencer, Luigi, Pit, Protoman, Arthur, and Bass in both of the Top 10s

That's 9 out of 10, NO WAIT, 9 OUT OF 12!

LAST TIME I CHECKED THIS WAS A TOP 10 NOT A TOP 12!

Gee, now who gets to point the finger at somebody for "failing".

It doesn't matter if the first character has the 6th ranking in the first set and 8th ranking in the second, AS LONG AS THEY'RE IN THE TOP 10, IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Besides, this is the Results, NOT THE FUCKING POLL!

I can't do something nice on the forums without getting scolded like I just made Hell come into Earth, CAN I?

9. aliceandsven

We're discussing the results of the poll. Unless you're talking about some other mysterious poll, in which case you need to clarify yourself because we already had the poll, and now we're in the middle of straightening out the results.

Just because there are twelve listed in bold doesn't mean it's not still top 10, three are tied for the eighth place among ten. The majority of them are in the top ten in both lists, but to some people individual rankings are important. This is a popularity poll but both results are showing different ranks of popularity for the same character. Yes you're correct in that ~10 characters are popular, but among those ten, who is more popular? This is a pretty large thing to just ignore.

This is a mess that could have been avoided if you had mentioned the very critical detail of prioritized voting.

10. Captain Knight

Like World 1-1 said, 9th and 10th are out, Arthur and up is the alternative list.

The only difference with the first list and the second is that Bass and TMNT is switched, so we'll just do a tie and make it a Top 11. I'll post the final poll and will get the results later, k?

FAIR COMPROMISE?

11. aliceandsven

do whatever you want.

12. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Whatever!? :p

13. aliceandsven

Yeah it's just one mystery and revelation after another. I came here to provide the participants with the accurate results of their votes, so my job is done.

14. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

Come on now, let's be reasonable here. If you guys want to discuss semantics and tallying methods (I agree that CK probably should have had some form of notification that informed people of what their votes meant. Oftentimes with this sort of list it's more stream-of-consciousness than absolute preference.) that's completely fine with me, but let's not resort to namecalling. Nobody here is a failure in any sense of the word, people are just getting needlessly worked up. Alice was simply trying to demonstrate to you that his method of polling, in which each vote has the same weight, puts a markedly different spin on the results of the count. He wasn't trying to debunk any of your choices (though I see that TMNT has made the poll, which I think is considerate of you), nor was he attempting to alter or explain away the fact that certain contestants naturally tied for 8th place and therefor did not fit a top-ten format, a restraint you personally put on this competition. (albeit to accommodate the 10-choice limit on polls) He never once called you a failure, and I don't think he deserves that either. I will say, however, that I agreed strongly with a point you made, if not necessarily your intentions behind making it, when you said something to the effect of the method not mattering with the results in hand. I think that everyone here has made substantial and valid points, and suffice to say if this sort of situation arises again, there are probably things that both CK and the voters will do differently, having learned from the aftermath of this situation. Like testing bugs in a beta though, you have to identify discrepancies before you can act on them, and the fact of the matter is that by now we're well into voting on the poll thread with these top ten characters. I'm not saying we should stop discussing anything, and I'm not going to like lock the thread or some craziness, it just seems like carrying on an argument won't really help anyone.

15. Diego Jurado Noboa

Diego Jurado Noboa Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Sweet, TMNT reached the Top 10! :)