Request Cheat: Mirrored Game

Discussion in 'Features' started by Beed28, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

With the reveal of Super Luigi Bros. in NES Remix 2, I have a rather trivial request to be added to the game.

This cheat would flip the entire screen except for the interface stuff, and then reverse the left/right controls to compensate. It would be so awesome if we were heading towards the left instead of the right, as well as helping to keep the game fresh.

Mitewing likes this.
  2. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

It would be interesting. Mirror Mode wouldn't be a major change, but one that fits in with the likes of Bouncy Pits and such.

3. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

I don't think this is a good idea, since it would step on Nintendo's toes, since Nes Remix 2 isn't even out yet.

Mitewing likes this.
  4. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Nintendo didn't patent such a thing as a "Mirrored Mode". It's also present in many more games in the past, it isn't exclusive to Nintendo. :I

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

While I love the idea, I think it's best to wait a while (like at least a year) after NES Remix 2 has been released. Just out of respect.

6. A.D.A.M.

But Nintendo does own Super Luigi Bros and Super Mario Bros, so that doesn't matter.
    We don't want to get shut down.

Mitewing likes this.
  7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I agree with A.D.A.M. : it's risky. Nintendo aren't a frustrated tyrant and they certainly don't own "Mirrored Mode", as TiagoDu pointed out, but they might feel concurrenced by a close use of the feature.

Mitewing's idea of a delay before release is a good one. One year may be too much, though. A month or two should be enough to indicate it's not a race for consumers.

Mitewing likes this.
  8. TiagoDu

"OMG Our games have jumping. Since Nintendo have "Super Mario Bros" nobody can have games with jumping except them! We're doomed, we're gonna be sued up on our asses!"

No, that's bullshit. Many racing games have a "Mirrored Mode" and none sued each other because of it. It's not like Nintendo invented it or owns it or something.

If Nintendo wanted to sue and shutdown ER, they would already have done so a LOOOOOONG time ago. (about 75% of SMBC's graphics and sound assets are from nintendo games)

9. Rey D

Patron

@TiagoDu :
    When I said: "they might feel concurrenced by a close use of the feature.", I meant "close" in release time. They might feel that ER, having heard of that new mode, tries to concurrence NES Remix 2 by attracting hyped fans to SMBC and not NES Remix 2.
    It's ridiculous, but it is what happens with rip-off products all the times (see Flappy Bird).
    That is why a delay time would be good.

Not that I believe this feature can be easily done in SMBC, though.

Mitewing likes this.
  10. Mitewing

Exactly, Rey D!

If anyone wants to play a mirrored version of SMB, then buy NES Remix 2! It's that simple.

11. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

The game isn't even out yet. Stop playing it up like it is.
    Besides, it's not going to be long until someone either rips the rom or recreates it from scratch in a romhack, regardless.

12. Mitewing

Never said it was out yet.

13. MissingNo2

It isn't simple if it isn't out yet.

14. Mitewing

It's understood to buy it WHEN it's out, dontcha think?

15. MissingNo2

My second point still remains.

16. Mitewing

Not everyone plays rips and romhacks. Some people want to support the game developers/publishers.

17. Rey D

Patron

"Supporting" is not limited to "throwing money at". It is silly to assume it is.

Moreover, romhacks are also developed by people, they're not magical appearances.

People request features for SMBC, you can't just tell them to go buy other products and say "it's that simple".

MissingNo2 and aliceandsven like this.
  18. A.D.A.M.

Nintendo probably doesn't care about Super Mario Bros Crossover, because Super Mario Bros is such an old game, that Nintendo doesn't make much money off of it, so suing SMBC would be pointless. Also, Nintendo is pretty lenient with not for profit fan games.

But if SMBC copies a NEWER game, like NES Remix 2, even if we wait a few months, Nintendo might feel threatened enough to sue. Nintendo probably expects to make more money with NES Remix 2 than they do with a regular SMB port. If we step on their toes by copying it, then that could cause problems.

Mitewing likes this.
  19. TiagoDu

It's OK if this feature doesn't get in. I'm not super excited for it anyway.

20. NES Boy

NES Boy Level 3: Paratroopa

It's more likely to show up in Super Action Squad than SMB Crossover, anyway.