Request Cheat: SMB3 Mode

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Apr 2, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

There's sort of a thread mentioning this already, but in a different form, so I thought I ought to make this anyway.
    SMB3 Mode: Affects the Mario Bros. with the following changes:
    • Physics values change to SMB3 (discussed here: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/foru...-smb2j-player-physics-exhaustive-guide.14607/ ), with Luigi's being tweaked to give him less traction and a higher jump (possibly partly based on the "Flutter Jump" e-Switch).
    • They can pick up and kick shells like in SMB3.
    • If you hold the Jump button while stomping an enemy, they will get a large bounce like in SMB3.
    • Possibly they climb vines like in SMB3?
    Unlock: . . . Beat the game on at least Normal as both Mario & Luigi? (Anyone have any better ideas?)

2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Whats the point if they don't even get their powerups from SMB3. Defeats the purpose of being a proper SMB3 mode.

I don't like the idea of unlocking it.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  3. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

SMB1 Mario/Luigi carrying a turtle shell would be...... awkward. I know the sprites are there on the SMB3 sheet, but.. ..no.

Crownjo likes this.
  4. Crownjo

IMO my idea as a separate character is better I think.

ThomasMink likes this.
  5. TheomanZero

People keep saying this and I still don't understand.

6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

How is it awkward when it's been a regular mario mechanic since the NES itself?

TheomanZero likes this.
  7. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

I think they just mean the fact that Mario 1 Mario/Luigi would need custom sprites to hold shells, and it could look odd. I personally could go either way with that.

I do agree with Crownjo that the items are the most important part. A Mario 3 mode at least needs the raccoon tail.

ThomasMink, Crownjo and aliceandsven like this.
  8. TheomanZero

I feel that the physics, shell holding, and Goomba Springboard are just straight bonuses, while adding new power-ups would be changing things significantly. Currently, Mario has only one higher-level power-up, and he is sure to get it from every ? Block (as long as he has a Mushroom, of course). He only has one special attack, but it kills all non-Boss, non-armored enemies in one hit, and he can stomp the armored ones. Mario's advantage over the other characters is that his gameplay is simple and straightforward.
    Plus, Mario's new abilities were the result of his personal growth, while the new power-ups in SMB3 were aspects of the levels. If SMB3 Mario went back to the levels in SMB, he'd only find Fire Flowers there, because those are all that's found in those levels.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  9. Crownjo

Consider this. With co-op on the way how can we even mix gameplay styles? Using this as a cheat would force me to play as SMB Mario or SMB3 Mario. With SMB3 Mario as a separate character you would solve the problem without hurting the game at all.

With some clever thinking we can balance the Tanooki and Hammer suits so it wouldn't break the game. Adding new characters, balancing and adding new features already change things significantly. Adding SMB3 Mario wouldn't be any different then adding Bass or Sophia III

One way to solve this is to make the item come out random.

10. Ed209

Ed209 Level 0: Newbie

Aha, it's been discussed. The addition for the pick up and kick shells feature was a great and thoughtful addition to SMB3. I think it would also be just as great of an addition to crossover. Right now, the guest characters are much more interesting than the Marios. It should at least be an option to choose SMB3 Mario and Luigi, since we're so teased with the skins. I just want to stomp a beetle, pick it up, and run it all the way to Bowser.

11. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I think the gameplay should be comparable based on what skin you choose. SMB3 skins has SMB3 gameplay, SMB2 USA as well, etc.

Ed209 likes this.
  12. TheomanZero

Not a bad idea, but I feel like making the enemies throwable would require a lot of new code.

13. Mitewing

Maybe not much. I feel SMB 2 USA characters should be able to throw Brick Blocks as well as enemies. The code may be just a variation of Mega Man's Super Arm.

14. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

Would Megaman/Bass be able to hold them with the Super Arm powerup? :D

15. Pgj6297

Pgj6297 Level 2: Koopa

Mario and Luigi's SMB3 skins both have unused sprites for use in an SMB3 physics engine if you look at Super Mario Bros. Crossover's tcrf page, so I think it would fit better as a skin difference rather than a whole mode.

16. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You don't even need TCRF to know about these. The in-game sheets are actually on the wiki.

TadPole likes this.
  17. TheomanZero

18. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

TheomanZero likes this.
  19. ΗΜ100

ΗΜ100 Level 2: Koopa

But now thw wiki was closed down and most images won't appear through web.archive.org.

20. Mitewing

The Old Wiki mostly had skins that were not in the game. The new Resources sections has all of the skins currently in the game.