Request Cheat: Sound Test

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Jan 3, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I just thought this was something that'd be nice to have in SMBC since it has all this great music. For one thing, it'd be helpful for keeping track of what music everyone has -- I keep worrying as I play that I'm missing out on some of the music because I'm not playing the right map skin or something.

The way I see it, you'd pick a character and a skin, and a list of "themes" would come up -- Overworld, Underground, Athletic, Castle, etc. -- and you'd pick one, and it would play the song associated with that theme for that character and skin. For example, you could select Mega Man, 16-bit Mega Man, and Overworld Night, and the Robot Master Museum theme would play.

In most games, the sound test has some really rigorous condition to unlock it, so I guess we should do the same here. The most obvious one -- beat the game on Very Hard -- is already taken by Level Select, and I think it deserves that condition more than Sound Test would. So, I don't really know what the condition would be. One that would make sense is "hear every song in the game", but actually doing that would be a huge hassle that nobody deserves.

Obviously, this request comes with the same caveat that all of mine do: If this would take an inordinate amount of time and effort to pull off, then just forget about it. I still don't know what's easy or hard to do in Flash, except that it doesn't make any sense.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm not sure how to do this, but I don't know if it would be terribly difficult to do. The music in the game is set up by games rather than by characters, and then each character has three games associated with it: one for NES, one for SNES, and one for GB (in some cases it's all the same game, but something needs to be in all three slots). This is why you may hear the "wrong" music for a character sometimes if you change the in-game sound settings (e.g., SMW Mario has SMB3 NES as his NES music setting). I can't imagine it would be too difficult to set up something in the options where you can choose the game you want to listen to music from and then select the track, either by number or by track name.

I'm not saying, "We'll do it!", but it doesn't seem terribly difficult to setup, and I assume many people would enjoy it. :)

TheomanZero and Rey D like this.
  3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

"Stay on the GAME OVER screen for over 10 seconds"
    That would be weird for chars without GAME OVER music, but it can't just be "...with Link" or "...with Mega Man" since it's not a cheat specifially for those chars. And why the GAME OVER screen is because there are some beautiful musics on there, especially for Link.

4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I just wanted to toss this out there:
    Sonic 1 was originally going to have a sound test, but due to time constraints it had to be cut out. To make up for it, they put in the SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH. Which apparently took up about an eighth of the cartridge's memory.

UltraMario3000 likes this.
  5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I would love to have this implemented, also a good opportunity for an easter egg or reference to classic gaming stuff, like the creepy as fuck screen from Sonic (photoshop a picture of Jay or something)

UltraMario3000 and World 1-1 like this.
  6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

[​IMG]
    I just Google Image'd a photo of Jay (apparently off G+) and used GIMP's IWarp to my heart's content.

UltraMario3000 and Omicron like this.
  7. TheomanZero

Okay, I've thought of a potential unlock condition:
    Defeat x number of Spike Tops.
    That might be even harder than beating the game on Very Hard.

8. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

When did sound tests start requiring obscene unlock conditions? Back in my day, they were available right from the start in the options menu of a game.
    As a follow up to that... how is the sound test a 'cheat'?

9. TheomanZero

I'd be fine with it being an option too. It just seems like it's usually an unlockable bonus feature.

10. Rey D

Patron

If you check the 8-bit and 16-bit era games, actually a bunch of them have hidden sound test that recquire a title screen code. Among them are Super C, Mega Man 7 and Castlevania 3.

But you're totally right in saying it shouldn't be a cheat. And defeating Spike Tops to get a sound test... doesn't sound quite logical.

11. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I honestly couldn't think of any 8-bit games that had one, so I was only going by 16-bit.
    Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV, Street Fighter 2: Turbo, Super R-Type (insanely underrated soundtrack, btw), Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, and many others that I'm sure I'm forgetting have the sound test readily available.

12. aliceandsven

MMX has a sound test?

13. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

I don't know if this would legally be a good idea for Exploding Rabbit.

Yes, it's in the options menu. You can listen to songs and sound effects with it.

14. aliceandsven

I can't believe I didn't know that

World 1-1 likes this.
  15. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

So do I.

UltraMario3000 likes this.
  16. Rey D

Patron

They bring a point. SMBC is a fan game and does not have the rights of the musics and sound effects.

17. aliceandsven

but they're already in the game.

18. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

Yeah, but easily being able to easily access the sound files and songs used therein might be an infringement on the companies' songs. Now I'm not saying they'd probably want to push their OSTs harder (which are sold exclusively in Japan anyway), just saying it may not be all that beneficial for Exploding Rabbit and it's community and team members.

Aside from my paranoia about this, I think it's an excellent idea.

19. NES Boy

NES Boy Level 3: Paratroopa

Don't forget that they created a custom 16-Bit Blaster Master soundtrack for the game, and this guy is responsible for creating it.

20. ΗΜ100

ΗΜ100 Level 2: Koopa

No, I found two suggestions.
    Finish the game by using only Mario and Luigi
    It can be easy by disabling all characters besides Mario and Luigi.
    OR​
    Finish the game without scrolling right
    It is very easy if you enable Classic Screen Scrol cheat.