Considering Classic Controls Option

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Recently I visited retrousb.com and saw an original Nintendo controller with a USB for PC play
    That gave me the idea to brainstorm how the game might work if used with an NES controller. I considered the possible future addition to extra weapons. Here's the list of two of the characters move sets. (I will add more later) This can be one of the many optional modes in the game.

LINK
    1. Attack-tap B. Also U, D, L, or R + B
    2. Jump-tap A
    3. Secondary weapon-hold B then release B
    4. Weapon menu-Select
    5. Pause-Start

MEGAMAN
    1. Attack-tap B
    2. Jump-tap A
    3. Charge attack-hold B then release B
    4. Slide-D + A
    5. Rush Coil-U + A. Also U, U + A
    6. Weapon menu-Select
    7. Pause-Start

BILL
    1. Attack- tap B. Also U, UL, UR, DL, or DR + B
    2. Jump- tap A
    3. Duck-tap D
    4. Jump down-D + A
    5. Pause-Start
    (Exactly like in Contra)

SIMON
    1. Attack-tap B
    2. Jump-tap A
    3. Crouch-tap D
    4. Double jump-tap A, A
    5. Secondary weapon-U + B
    6. Weapon toggle???-Select
    7. Pause-Start

SAMUS
    1. Attack-tap B. Also U + B
    2. Jump-tap A
    3. Crouch-tap D
    4. Morph Ball-tap D when crouching
    5. Bomb-tap B as Morph Ball
    6. Weapon toggle-Select
    7. Pause-Start

SOPHIA III
    1. Attack-tap B. Also U + B
    2. Jump-tap A
    3. Hover-hold A
    4. Secondary weapon-D + B
    5. Exit SOPHIA-Select
    6. Weapon menu/Pause-Start
    As Jason
    1. Attack-tap B
    2. Jump-tap A
    3. Enter SOPHIA-Select
    4. Weapon menu/Pause-Start

RYU
    1. Attack-tap B
    2. Jump-tap A
    3. Crouch-tap D
    4. Secondary weapon-U + B
    5. Tertiary weapon-hold B, release B
    6. Spin Slash-tap A while in midair
    7. Weapon toggle (Sword/Shuriken)-Select
    8. Pause-Start

2. jerry

jerry Level 6: Lakitu

I wouldn't mind seeing a Up + A control scheme OPTION. Would make playing Simon and Ryu a lot more authentic, people have been complaining about that for along time.

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I assume you're referring to an Up + B control option, to throw their sub-weapons.

Anyway, this could definitely work for some of the characters. I do think it should be an option and not the default, though. I like summoning Rush with the Special button (C), and I think pressing Up + A would be a strange way of summoning him, especially since that's not even how he's summoned in Mega Man's own games.

4. jerry

Of course, of course, Up + B, silly me.

And I guess Megaman would just have to do UP + A or B for Rush since the whole point of this is to be able to use a 2 button gamepad, in Mitewing's case. Maybe a remappable control scheme where one could make it a button or up plus a button would be cool. That way one could map it as they see fit. I don't know how hard that would be to program though.

5. Mitewing

I wanted to keep some of the cooler aspects of SMBC intact, like summoning Rush on the fly. Many jumps in SMBC require him and I'd hate to have to press select to go to the weapon menu every other second. Up + A makes most logical sense since it's an extension of his jump plus down + A is already used for sliding.

6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, it would be damn annoying to play with a NES controller, except for Bill and Simon who work almost in the same way they did in their respective games and Mario who did not change at all.

But holding B button to throw the Boomerang wouldn't not as fast as it is now.
    Calling Rush Coil with Up+A/B may not seem bad, but to call Rush Coil where you're standing, you'll have to push UP, UP+A/B? Kinda weird.
    You may make Samus change weapon with SELECT so she can shoot missiles, but that's not how she works in SMBC, where she can shoot both in the same time.
    With Ryu, it should work ith me, but some people may wanna throw shurikens while charging the Windmill Shuriken.

So, SMBC does not work quite well with a NES pad, but it was a good try you did.

7. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Dude, it's gonna be an OPTION, you won't have to be stuck with it.

I see that most people like it, so I'll hop in here.

Rush coil would definitely be UP+B mostly because the B button is used for practically anything else, and the fact that UP+A would be really awkward because you would jump if you pressed UP+A.

And it's weird for Link, because he didn't jump in his game, so I'm guessing UP+B?

And with Ryu, he has 2 SPECIAL weapons. Does Windmill act the same and short shriuken just need UP+B?

8. Mitewing

I realized there would be some gameplay changes, especially with Ryu which I'm still trying to resolve so suggestions are welcome. This idea is just for playing the game a different way. For Link, up + B wouldn't work because that's his "upward thrust" attack. His boomerang may be a tenth of a second slower but it wouldn't be that big of deal. The controls also open up the possibility of using arrows and bombs the same way. I know there are mixed feelings about Rush but I think my idea would be most intuitive. For Simon and Ryu, I think the select button could be used as a Weapon Toggle for secondary weapons. I'll post the rest of the characters when I have more time.

9. Rey D

Patron

Yeah I guessed that, but I just wanted to say what can be weird.

10. NanTheDark

NanTheDark Level 2: Koopa

I agree with the idea for Ryu and Simon.
    For Link and Megaman, we could have them use their special (Boomerang and Rush Coil, respectively) pressing the select button. Press select and the boomerang will be thrown/Rush will come.
    For Samus' missiles... I don't know if we could use Up+Attack for them, or use the Select Button somehow.

11. Rey D

Patron

I don't know how to use Boomrang and Rush Coil, but not by using Select to USE the special weapon. Though that's my opinion. For Samus, I guess Select for swappin is the best way, cause Up+Attack is shooting above her.

12. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

I was thinking about this same idea not too long ago! I came up with some ideas-

Ryu:
    Jump: A
    Attack: B
    Pause: Start
    Special: Up + B

Link:
    Attack: B
    Throw Boomerang: Hold A + direction or Select button.

Simon:
    (Same as Ryu)

Mega Man:
    Shoot: B
    Call Rush: Down + B for in front of you, Up + B for on top of you.

Samus:
    Shoot Missle: Select

SOPHIA:
    Shoot Homing Missle: B + direction of ground (similar to dropping off of a wall, but press B instead)

13. jerry

I don't get this whole "authentic" thing. I mean, it's a flash game, not an NES game. So why do we need to play it with NES controllers? Seems like an unnecessary obstacle to me.

14. Mitewing

Cool. Looks like I'm not the only one with this idea. I edited my original post to include everyone else. Like I said Ryu is the one that's giving me trouble to figure out.

15. Rey D

Patron

You mean hold B, right?

16. Zunar

A or B, whichever would fit better. Now that I think about it, B might be better.

17. Mitewing

Concerning Rush, another idea for his move could be Hold A, then release A. To have him appear right beside you U + A should work. I know many of you didn't care for U,U +A. Hopefully this idea is better with you guys.

18. Zunar

Up/Down + B would work better since Mega Man can't shoot up or down. Up for on top of you and Down for in front of you.

19. ItsaMeMartin

ItsaMeMartin Level 1: Goomba

Well, there's this program called Joy2Key, it takes keyboard controls and converts them to USB controllers. So you could just use that program with your USB NES controller plugged in.

20. Rey D

Patron

Yeah, so I guess we actually know this already, but thanks anyway. There's still a problem: SMBC needs a SPECIAL button, the default 'C' button. that's why actually can't use a NES controller. So in this thread we submit ideas of new controls option.

huang17 likes this.