Closing all forums unrelated to Exploding Rabbit

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Jay, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

That's sort of like the people who move into an abandoned house and then refuse to leave... Its not your forums.

And there ARE reasons why a person would want to reduce their customer base. Jay does run and pay for the website, right? Isn't payment on a website based on traffic to that site? And the more people who visit a site, the more likely glitches are going to develop that need Jay to fix it.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Stop right there. The forums are hosted by Jay, but they were mostly run by the mods.
    I understand your point, but now is not the time to bluntly simplify the situation.

"glitches"
    Not the issue here.

Faruga likes this.
  3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I've given myself a night to think. Here is my current stance.
    Note that I wasn't there for most of the chats happening, and I get the idea they were significant.
    If we can get everything ported, that's awesome. Nothing's changed, just who's running the site.
    Factor in that I understand why this is happening and I'm actually okay with all this. I'm not even going to ask for a refund just yet. My 50 bucks probably helped keep the forums up, and anyway i wouldn't be me if i had money ya know what i'm saying
    Best of luck to everyone setting up the new site.
    When this place closes, I'm going to subscribe to all the RSS feeds and take this off my regular tabbing i.e. I'm leaving until activity happens. I do not plan on resigning from modship, but I'll probably spend most of my time on Fake Crystals.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1416331400][/DOUBLEPOST]also i don't exactly get why people are already moving away to all over the place
    we only need to move in a month
    no need to make it more complicated
    and if you're worried about adverts, get adblock

4. Rey D

Patron

From what I could see, the departing people found at least one compatible host, with the exception of A/V.
    UR opened a forum of their own.
    Most of the departing people are frustrated to say the least. I insist it's "most" ; not all.

I'll also outright say that asking for a refund just because the forums will close is stupid, since the game and the forums aren't directly linked.

Faruga likes this.
  5. repairmanman

repairmanman Level 5: Spiny

why?
    You're disappointed in the creator for doing something you didn't expect

6. Rey D

Patron

"Those guys make a game. I'll support.
    They have issue making a game. I'll keep supporting.
    They decide to close their forums. I want refund on the game funds."

What sort of logic is this?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Jessy and Faruga like this.
  7. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

don't want to argue but who said this
    i haven't seen anyone say this

8. Faruga

Patron

i take it stuff happened in the chat or whatever
    i wasn't there

9. Rey D

Patron

Mario-Fan mentioned it. And you can bet they weren't the only one to think of demanding a refund.

10. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

alice said he wanted to try for a refund but only to get us started with the forum
    people still wanted to use xenforo so alice said he'd pay for it

11. Faruga

Patron

actually others told me people were talking about it
    so i thought i'd make that part clear

12. Rey D

Patron

Thanks for the clarification.
    That is indeed better than refund for the sake of it.

Jessy and Faruga like this.
  13. repairmanman

repairmanman Level 5: Spiny

ehhhhhh

I'll stay on, just because I want to see what jay will make.

I support him as a company, not so much as an admin

Faruga likes this.
  14. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

While i understand that it's Jay's forums and ER is Jay's Company, I don't think closing CT and other forums will magically create interest and discussion on SMBC and SRS and such.

CT was basically a place where we chilled, waiting for ER's next news. We made friends, enemies, and overall we were being social and having fun.

ER barely had any news about its projects, SRS is on hold and now the HTML5 Crossover demo is still early in development.

If ER doesn't move it's projects forward, and give out steady development logs, we're never get any interest and will never discuss them in a regular manner.

CT flourished because ER basically stopped giving life signal. You see the moments where we had news we had discussion about them, the moments we didn't, we chilled at CT.

I really hope we get more frequent news about ER's projects. Otherwise people won't stay here just because of their existence...

Rey D, aliceandsven and DarkBowser007 like this.
  15. Midori

Midori Level 1: Goomba

i'd also add that threads like CT are actually pretty common on other forums aswell. CT was this forum's stammtisch.

Faruga likes this.
  16. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Jay, you're smarter than that. It's blatantly obvious that the ER Forums wouldn't have flourished if it wasn't for your projects.

People came here because of SMBC, Stayed because of the community, and those who could helped you along backing up SRS. You should have been proud of the community YOU've built.

If anything, it's your fault that there wasn't interest on SMBC and SRS. Both have been stagnated for months, with the only recent news being the move to HTML5 and a small tech demo being developed for that.

If you can't cope with the costs of running the forums, then OK, i understand you, even if i feel like it wasn't the optimal solution, but if you're announcing the closure solely to make people focus on SMBC and SRS, then i'm sorry, but this won't magically generate interest on neither of them out of nowhere. If anything, you're basically filtering the whole community to those whose ONLY interest is ER's projects.

IF you want to generate interest, i strongly suggest you to do at least weekly development logs about ER's current projects. It doesn't need to be fancy, with videos, gifs and the like, but just tell us what's happening on ER's Projects.

Please, Jay. We WANT to help you, buy you must help yourself first. Stop being so secluded and secretive. Share with us what are your current achievements. Tell us what you're currently working on, and make yourself part of the community YOU've created and hosted for those 4 years.

17. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

asking for a refund isn't stupid, but a little selfish. i won't ask my refund, but i understand that they want their now.
    you give money to someone but they don't reward you. but you still let it go, since you like that person, and you know they need your money.
    but all of a sudden you start to hate this person, so you don't want them having your money and not giving anything in exchange, being a cool guy would be something already, but that isn't the case. it might be or not "right", but it's logical.

Faruga and 狂人さん like this.
  18. why is applejack so sad. she's got so many apples.

Faruga likes this.
  19. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

When I say "community", I mean the people that visit this forum regularly, which is an extremely tiny fraction of the visitors to this site... less than 1%. Probably less than a tenth of a percent per month. Most of the comments I've seen are only from the perspective of the community. Most of it isn't worth responding to because I don't think there's any way to make them understand with their current perspective.

There is also a general misconception that I'm doing this to get more focus on ER stuff. People don't discover ER stuff through the forum, so if that were my goal, I would not do it this way. I am clearing clutter to make room for things that I think will be more valuable to people. Some people find value in community, but I don't. I was lying to myself in thinking that I would, but it took me a while to realize it.

I don't regret creating all of the other forums. I'm glad a lot of people got value from them. And I'm not destroying them... I'm offering to turn them over to the community. I don't have to do that, and I didn't have to give 30 days notice. And yes, I know, it could have been handled "better", but it could have been handled a lot worse too.

Anyway, it's not like I created the forums with the intent to piss everyone off. This was a process of self-discovery for me, and hopefully for people here as well. I now have a much more clear idea of what I want my website and my company to be, so I'm working toward that.

Maybe look inward and think about why you're so pissed off, and you'll learn something about yourself. That's what I do when I get upset by comments people make about me, and I've found it pretty helpful.

BBQTurkeyzZ, Mitewing, Faruga and 3 others like this.
  20. oh jay! funny as always. I love you man : D

Faruga and DarkBowser007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.