Closing all forums unrelated to Exploding Rabbit

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Jay, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

[​IMG]
    I probably would've done anything at all if it wasn't for FUCKING TIMEZONES. GOD THESE ARE ANNOYING SOMETIMES.

World 1-1 and 狂人さん like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Most of the work and fun stuff begins once the forum is open, that way everyone can get in and take part in shaping it and communicating regardless of time-zones, or who has Skype / FB, who doesn't, etc.

3. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

4. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

AHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHH
    AHH

So excited!

Faruga and 狂人さん like this.
  5. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

No Adult/Vulgar forums??? Where are we going to post are age inappropriate jokes???

Faruga likes this.
  6. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

Wherever you want?

Faruga and 狂人さん like this.
  7. yes, I was hoping that would be the response.

Faruga likes this.
  8. pikafan8

pikafan8 Level 5: Spiny

there's actually A/V forums there now.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Faruga likes this.
  9. Aphromoo

Aphromoo Level 0: Newbie

I feel like people are getting WAAAAAY too upset over this. I came here for a flash game I found on newgrounds when it didnt suck back in the day. The game was still getting worked on like so few things do when they hit NG, and I have fun playing it from time to time. Jay's videos are funny and I enjoy watching them. I like talking to people about the game and ideas for it and possibly SAS...but how the fuck can you get mad because he doesn't want to host your irrelevant bullshit on his site that he made for his own use? Go pay for your own fucking internet space and talk about shit there. OR you could realize that reddit is an extremely popular place where you can created forums at any given point free of charge for whatever purpose you wish. You can even make a "sub-reddit", aka Focus Group for exactly what you want to discuss. Stop shitting on Jay because you aren't getting your way. Immaturity of the masses knows no boundary.

10. pikafan8

pikafan8 Level 5: Spiny

You do realize we made our own forum five days ago, correct?
    We.. don't care anymore. You're late to this.

I sure would like to know what your definition of "irrelevant bullshit" is though, Mr. Badass.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    BBQTurkeyzZ and DarkBowser007 like this.
  11. separatist, combining everyone together with few sentences, not caring of the combination of peoples messages that don't fit. finding it more important to wrongfully chastise everyone, in movement to postulate yourself victorious.

why don't you think of a more productive way to express yourself? so that you don't mix everyone together in a big pot they don't fit together in. why insult everyone, just because you saw a few.

not everyone got mad. but I'm sure many felt betrayed. and that's not even the same as expressing anger or rage. it's just saying. hey. yo, you hurt my feelings. I think you greatly over exemplified our negativity as well as over simplifying our human behaviors mixed with actual human emotions. and there is nothing wrong with humans sharing their emotions.

12. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

with four years of content on it that many people have worked on and supported, at least someone's going to get mad.
    if he initially wanted the forum for his own use, he would have specified.
    he allowed other "irrelevant bullshit" on the site for four years while the community grew and became friends with each other.
    he openly supported several projects made over the years, and even employed someone because he saw their potential.
    people got mad because he gave no opportunities for user input during this, not just that he was taking the stuff down.
    "Go pay for your own fucking internet space" is just a bit heartless.
    web hosting isn't cheap, you know.
    xenforo alone costs $140.
    yes, we did make a new forum, but only because ganymede wanted the community to continue growing and so paid for what was needed.
    and did you know not all the content on er was irrelevant?
    @Omicron made several tools to aid with making smbc skins, the community helped one and other to bypass glitches in the game, the community made skins and helped the dev team make their game ever expansive until it reached the point it is at today.
    we aren't shitting on jay, we're saying how we don't like the decision. shitting on him would be shouting insults at him and generally making him feel like shit.
    it seems like you made an account just to say this, and let me tell you
    the closing of a forum feels much worse when you've ACTUALLY BEEN A MEMBER OF IT FOR A WHILE.
    yes, i might have only been here for eight months, but i've grown attached to this community.
    what would you do if your beloved reddit shut down?
    i suppose you'd be very sad, too.

pikafan8 and DarkBowser007 like this.
  13. money grip

money grip Level 2: Koopa

not heartless... the rest is needlessly aggressive, but this is really the fundamental point. jay isn't interested in your community, so why should he pay for it?

if people could make a strong argument for "the kickstarter got the money it did due in large part to the community, developed by users and collaboration," i would be more sympathetic. i find that premise hard to believe though... even if a lot of the people who paid were active forum members, i would guess that the game development and videos did more to motivate you than the fact that users talked to each other about stuff and perhaps made skins and such.

not to diminish the community; i think you all should push forward with the new forum (and create server side content!!! you really have like a couple month window to do that if my experience with dying forums is any indication. at the very least, create events that involve people beyond just posting). but just because you meet in someone else's house doesn't mean you live there or own it.

狂人さん likes this.
  14. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

i think i'll just jump in and say i'm okay with the move

狂人さん likes this.
  15. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

you know what i meant
    he's using a lot of swearing, as well, as if he's trying to make himself sound more aggressive/convincing/whatever
    if jay wasn't interested in the community i don't think he'd have employed ren
    he wouldn't have bothered to go into creative projects and seen sonic boll
    the point i'm trying to make is that a) nobody was shitting on jay and b) expressing emotions is a thing
    you have to agree with me on the fact that not everyone would be ok with a forum they have been on for a while closing

in the skype chat, ren made a metaphor
    he said that er was like a hotel/block of flats
    and that jay was in a solitary apartment working on stuff and we (the community) hung out in the lobby basically waiting for him to come down and tell us what was up like he normally would
    and one day the people in the lobby noticed that he had been quiet for a while and got bored, so they got comfortable and started doing their own thing (stuff non-related to er)
    more people saw that what they were doing was cool and hung with them
    eventually jay came down again and released more news and was ok with the people doing their thing so they continued
    and one day he came down and said "alright, i want to start afresh. you have 30 days to leave the hotel, and i will help you with your belongings to a new place (the new forum)."
    i think this is a great way to show what has happened.
    like, hotel jay wasn't forceful or anything, he wanted to help people with their bags and give them a months notice so they could wrap things up.
    things would be a lot worse if it was, say, a week before it closed, because a week isn't really much time to think about and make a new forum. we've had the forum up since thursday and we've only just started talking with jay properly about moving the stuff over.
    i think mariofan sums up the forum history nicely;

Once upon a time, there was a game called Super Mario Bros Crossover by Exploding Rabbit. They made a forum. And million of people register'd. And it gud.
    After a chain of events, Jay started making an engine, with a fangame slapped onto it. He made development logs to keep in touch with the community. They were awesome. He decided he wanted to make them more accessible by doing some work on the website. So he did. Many plugins were attached to the forums, and he thought about giving the forums a direction. He closed the A/V forums because they didn't fit the new direction (announcing it a week in advance). The day before they were closed, doom moved everything in it to the spam forum, and everyone worshipped doom for it. Jay thought, and decided to close all the forums not about Exploding Rabbit stuff specifically (announcing it a month in advance). This meant closing the main trickle of life, which was Current Thoughts 64 (with many name variations over the years). The game had been beaten, the now matured adults had left their parents' house and we didn't want to stop just yet, so we started a New Game+. We still have all our content.

狂人さん, Faruga and pikafan8 like this.
  16. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Even if legit points, I don't feel like discussing this any further is much needed.

@money grip 's idea of having a central project for NG+ isn't bad, though.

Faruga likes this.
  17. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I agree there is not much else worth discussing related to this, but I don't think I'll lock it until after the data is transferred.
    That's how I thought about it too. Maybe Rene stopped being upset after he realized that.

18. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

@Jay I know I was angry before. But before this thread is ever locked I just wanted to say some stuff. I've always respected you. You made an awesome game. You tried to make another awesome game which was SRS/SAS it was unfortunate that Unity was not good for platformers. I still may not come around as my interest in this forum faded after SMBC was but into a possibly forever completion. I then turned to spam to Current Thoughts to keep up with friends. I hoped SMBC would be revived maybe But...

I'm not calling this a goodbye to you or Exploding Rabbit just see ya if our paths of interest cross again. :) Meaning I might be back if SMBC comes back or you make something new that catches my interest. So maybe you'll see me back someday.

Faruga, DarkBowser007 and pikafan8 like this.
  19. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

i was mad before too
    but hey jay
    you're still a pretty cool guy

i'm interested in the new direction this community will take
    i'll stick around

good luck with you future stuff jay

狂人さん, Faruga and pikafan8 like this.
  20. Flamin/Super Dark Prince

Flamin/Super Dark Prince Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Off Topic, when's the transfer shit going to be done? New Game +'s down