Considering Co-op mode?!?!

Discussion in 'Features' started by GamingsCupofJoe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. GamingsCupofJoe

GamingsCupofJoe Level 2: Koopa

This is a really weird but cool idea. What if while you played you clicked on something called "Co-op Game" and it connects you to someone who also clicked on it. What does it do? You can play with someone! Theres 3 modes you can play with
    1- Play! (Like in New Super Mario Bros Wii where you play the game at the same time)
    2- Race! (Both characters race to see who can complete the world selected first)
    3- Battle! (Okay so you try to beat the whole game aloxne but 1 player shoots enemies at you. And if you get hit the other player plays and you toss enemies)
    Tell me if you think this is a cool, dumb, or have other ideas

SMBC and Eric Thorstad like this.
  2. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

Good idea, but I guess it would be difficult for 2 players to play in the same time on one keyboard/gamepad.

3. GamingsCupofJoe

No it wouldn't be on the same computer, 2 people on tottally different computers would go to a Wi-fi server

SMBC likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Um, adding a Wi-Fi server to SMBC sounds like a pretty major undertaking. Would ExplodingRabbit.com even be able to handle it?

5. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Honestly, I think it would be perfectly plausible to have co-op on the same computer, much more so than building an online engine for the game. And I'd much rather play with my friends than with some random person online. It would be simple to have one player on the keyboard and the other on a gamepad, or even two players on two gamepads.
    This would be an obvious mode to add, and would be fun. It would be nice to add that sense of screwing with each other though that was in NSMB Wii (such as throwing things to hurt each other, or throwing each other into a pit). The fact that it could be both co-op and competitive was amazing. Maybe add a friendly fire mode?
    I also like this one. It would remind me of Sonic's multiplayer (the only platformer to have really good multiplayer back in the day). Maybe also have a coin or point challenge to see who can get the most coins or points.
    And you had me until this one. Rather than this, I think the friendly fire option I mentioned above would be better than this. But even more so than that, I would LOVE the multiplayer Mario Bros mini-game that was in Mario 3. THAT would be a fun battle mode.

6. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

The HUD would have to change for co-op. Probably the easiest way would be to remove the portrait in co-op. Can you imagine Bill and Lance invading the Mushroom Kingdom together?!!

Eric Thorstad likes this.
  7. GamingsCupofJoe

Nope, but I can imagine Megaman and Bass :D

SMBC and Mitewing like this.
  8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Even better!

9. Eric Thorstad

Eric Thorstad Level 2: Koopa

This is a solid idea, and I agree with what everyone has suggested. Though I say we go to far enough, and allow up to FOUR players (or more) at once. It would be easiest to do it locally, on one machine, or via a LAN, though on-line would be cool to.

10. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

11. GamingsCupofJoe

Though i would love to play the game with 4 players. The screen would kinda be cramped up if you were playing on the same screen. And if it wasn't online the keyboard would be squished with 8 hands trying to play

12. silentshadowxp

That's what gamepads are for ;)
    But I honestly don't think it would be fun with four players. The the game would be way too easy if that were the case. I think two should be the max amount of players.

13. Crownjo

I am making some mock ups menus on what multiplayer would be like.

Anyways who cares if it's easy? Up to four players online would be fine. You can still do two players if you wish.

14. Eric Thorstad

Eric Thorstad Level 2: Koopa

Besides, it's not like you HAVE to play with four players at once.

15. Crownjo

So far my concept menus are looking good. Trying to make it simple as possible.

My vision for co-op is just a simple mode. You share lives, score and coins. You have your own hud so things don't get cluttered. Offline co-op wouldn't work very well now that I think about it.

16. silentshadowxp

I know you don't HAVE to play with four players, but in my head I just see this rapid wave of destruction to all levels, and there wouldn't be enough for everyone to have fun with. I could be wrong, but when everything is destroyed in a matter of seconds by (for example) 3 of the 4 players, player 4 would just be walking along with nothing to kill or do.

With two players, the HUD could be easily built around it with separate lives/coins/points so that each player can compete for most points, giving the players something to strive for against each other for friendly competition. It's kind of similar in concept to NSMB Wii's Coin Battle Mode where you'd compete for most coins (but since coins give you points I figured points would be more comprehensive). This would allow both co-op style multiplayer AND competitive style multiplayer.

And offline co-op would work perfectly fine with gamepads (which is what the game was built around anyways). Online would be more difficult to do in my opinion. Not that I'm bashing an online mode, but I'm just saying it would be far easier to program an offline multiplayer based around gamepads than an online multiplayer experience. Especially considering that this game is no longer top priority. This game currently uses 9 keys total per player, and a keyboard has well over 36 keys (the number it would need for 4 players).

Edit: Please don't think I'm trying to argue, I just love debating over stuff like this. XD
    Brings me back to the days of the smash bros section of the old nintendo forums before they took them down. :p

17. Crownjo

Yeah well ill prolly make a offline co-op concept. Offline co-op can be possible. It's just the camera and hud needs work.

Debating is fun because you learn so much.

18. silentshadowxp

Indeed it is :)

And I was thinking about the camera as well and came up with the idea that the screen could auto scroll to the right (much like certain levels did in Mario 3). This means that it will keep everyone on the same screen, and doesn't allow a player to stay back and let the time run out. Time of course would be unnecessary, so it could be removed if this were how it's implemented. Also, if a character goes down a pipe, everyone goes, and there's no auto scroll down there, but if you're in coin heaven auto scroll still exists.

An alternate possibility is to have the screen only scroll as far as the left most player is, but then you come across the problem of having that player not move and end up stopping the game (which is no fun). Or there's the NSMB Wii way of just killing that player that falls behind, but that would suck to die because your friend is a jerk and ran to fast. So I would have to say auto scroll would probably work best.

19. Crownjo

Keep in mind this isn't real. I used mspaint :dtmf:

[​IMG]

SMBC likes this.
  20. Xman321

Xman321 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

when you click it you can press local too, then you set player 2 controls. boom, you play. clicking online would take you to a waiting room. you can join games (multable player=rotation system), or make your own