Considering Co-op mode?!?!

Discussion in 'Features' started by GamingsCupofJoe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

This looks awesome. Only one problem...how the devil are you going to see Lakitu? :p

World 1-1 and silentshadowxp like this.
  2. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

How about this?
    Multiplayer.png

It's a bit more organized.

3. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

That looks ok. the way I made it so character names like Haggle Man or whoever with longer names don't conflict.

Also the idea is.... You share lives. Hence only one coin counter. IMO I like mine better.

Oh wow lots of people liked my pic. Thank you so much.

4. silentshadowxp

I'm still of the opinion that it would be better to have a bit of competition, that's why I thought of separate coins/lives. Also, it would suck to completely lose just because your friend sucks and loses all the lives lol. But I can understand the need for shared lives since it would also suck to be on the other side of that and not be able to play because your friend is too good and you just have to sit and watch. Double edged sword I guess.

5. Crownjo

Ah I see. Still you still go some competition with separate scores. Sharing coins/lives gives it more of a challange :)

He already overlaps the hud. I think we can see him just fine.

6. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

Co-op = [​IMG]

Frozsoul likes this.
  7. Sniperassassinx

Sniperassassinx Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

yeeah buddy, but what kind of co-op are you thinking about? online? offline? classic SMB? new SMB?

8. Crownjo

Now that I think about it. Offline co-op would be better since online can be alot of work.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  9. silentshadowxp

I'm personally leaning more towards NSMB Wii. That was, in my opinion, the best co-op I've ever played in a game. I'm not too big into newer games, but it's definitely one that surprised me. The fan game Super Mario Bros X has a similar co-op from what I can tell that might be good to base it off of, but with separate points as I suggested earlier to add a little competition.

Thing I loved most about New SMB Wii's co-op was your ability to screw with each other, and that it turned into you purposefully trying to do anything in your power to screw each other up!

Frozsoul likes this.
  10. GamingsCupofJoe

GamingsCupofJoe Level 2: Koopa

Yeah but honestly, whos going to buy 4 gamepads just to play a fan-made game? Unfortunatly, not a lot of people

11. silentshadowxp

That's assuming there would even be four players. And even then, it's really only 3 gamepads that you need because you could always force one of your friends to play with the keyboard.

12. Crownjo

If you read the thread closely. The idea would be 2 players offline and 4 players online. The hud can only really fit two players.

uglyrodent likes this.
  13. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Doesn't matter. While Jay WOULD have to put in a series of multiplayer rules on how characters interact, the HUD, and so forth, the number of players isn't an additional challenge. In other words, programming two person multiplayer should be pretty similar to twenty people. Once the basic physics are laid out, it's probably not that difficult to add more slots that can be used. And if there are people who would buy four gamepads (I know I would) it would be a pretty small amount of effort to extend it to them.

Once again, disclaimer, I am not a programmer and may be completely wrong.

14. Crownjo

It's also balance as well. Hence two player offline is fine. The hud is already great looking from how I made it and I made it rather simple.

Not only that offline is more easier then online in terms of making it. The only problem with online is hosting which can be very expensive.

twenty players...

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Bear in mind that since SMBC has no native gamepad support (and probably never will, bar a really unlikely Flash update), the gamepads work by mapping to keys on the keyboard. There's only so much space on a keyboard -- do you really think you can fit four whole sets of controls on there?

16. silentshadowxp

Actually yes. There's currently 9 keys per player, and there's more than 36 keys. Not throwing my support in for 4 player, but it is possible to have 4 gamepads.

uglyrodent and Mitewing like this.
  17. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, most keyboards let you press 15+ keys at the same time and all.

18. uglyrodent

A valid point, but if my recollection is correct then most joypad->keyboard programs account for this (I've played two gamepads on one PC before without any problems by using XPadder).

19. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Yes, but that absolutely is not what he said...

20. uglyrodent

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. I did think you were being sarcastic before, so that might be entirely my bad :s