Request Continuous jumping while underwater

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Not sure if I want this as a cheat or as new default behaviour, but I always found it a bit strange that characters other than Mario and SOPHIA III would be given the default high-and-slow jump underwater a la the Mega Man games. I think it makes more sense that these characters would have the ability to do smaller but continuous jumps while underwater for the following reasons:
    1. It better simulates the swimming aspect of being underwater. The slow high jump feels more like being in a place of low gravity like the Moon.
    2. It means that these characters can actually "swim" to avoid enemies and underwater pits. For example, it doesn't make sense to me that a mistimed jump underwater means your character can be doomed from an underwater pit.
    3. It avoids having to make any modifications to the originally designed water levels (e.g. adding extra platforms) which avoids work and results in a more source-accurate level.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, in the Soma's series of Castlevania (GBA, DS), he has multiple jumps.
    Alucard from Symphony of the Night (PS1), however, had only one jump.
    But both could control the height at which they wanted to go, so...
    I'm for him staying as he is.

I don't remember any underwater level in any Contra I've seen.

Mega Man and Bass stay as they are.

For Ryu, I don't think that he looks like he's swimming with his both arms on his saber, so I think he should stay as he is.

And Samus doesn't swim either.

Conclusion:
    No change.

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Link has swimming sprites on his sheet, so he'll probably be able to swim next version.
    As for Simon, I think he should have the same underwater physics he does now, but just have an unlimited number of double jumps underwater.