Custom Controls: What you use

Discussion in 'Game' started by mattex66, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mattex66

mattex66 Level 6: Lakitu

I like the NEW default control scheme except for the '1' as pause. I was just wondering, what is your custom control scheme, or do you stick to the good (bad?) old one?

(VERY) NEW Default:
    Code:
    LEFT:    LEFT
    RIGHT:   RIGHT
    UP:      UP
    DOWN:    DOWN
    JUMP:    Z
    ATTACK:  X
    SPECIAL: C
    PAUSE:   1
    Mine:
    Code:
    PAUSE:   SPACE
    THIS POST IS NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO USE GAME PADS

2. willempiee

willempiee Level 0: Newbie

I use your one, but I use Enter for Pause.
    But yeah, I hate the new scheme as well.

3. I use this:

[​IMG]

4. nicpen

nicpen Level 5: Spiny

For gaming, always set directional movement to your left hand.

Left - A
    Right - D
    Up - W
    Down - S
    Jump - L
    Attack - K
    Special - O (I admit this sucks, but I've gotten used to it)
    Pause - ;

5. J Squared

J Squared Level 7: Bloober

I felt this thread would be an appropriate thread in which to post this. The current default control scheme has since been changed, by Jay Pavlina, to the following scheme:

Code:
    PAUSE:   1

6. rednukleus

rednukleus Level 3: Paratroopa

Pretend I have an SNES gamepad. I have Y as attack, B as jump, right trigger as special, and X as pause. I had A as special but it needed to change since I couldn't hit Special while holding Attack as Ryu.

I leave all keyboard bindings default, and set my gamepad buttons to the right functions with JoyToKey. If you're playing with the keyboard, pick up an SNES-ish gamepad. They've been around since the Jazz Jackrabbit days so they are way cheaper than most game controllers.

7. onpon4

onpon4 Level -1: Banned

Movement: Arrows
    Jump: X
    Attack: Z
    Special: A
    Pause: Space

8. DeviantDiscordian

DeviantDiscordian Level 6: Lakitu

Movement: WSAD
    Jump: space
    Attack: Comma
    Special: E
    Pause: Enter

9. lunchboxx

lunchboxx Level 0: Newbie

my move buttons are the arrow keys.

my jump is d

my attack is s

and my special is a

and i keep my pause button as the space bar. so i basically have index finger on d, middle on s and ring on a, with my thumb on pause.

seems more efficient that way.

10. mattex66

Where did the '1' come from, a bit random for pause in any game!

I also see you edited my post with putting a '?' after the '(bad...)', or I think it was you.

11. on my PS3 controller

Code:
    up down left and right on the pad up down left and right
    Pause = start 
    attack = []
    jump = X
    special = R1 

12. Beadysea

Beadysea Level 0: Newbie

I use:
    movement-directional arrows
    jump-Space
    attack-D
    special-S
    pause-Enter

I find this to be more comfortable than the other controls.

13. Fireroy777

Fireroy777 Level 0: Newbie

Up, Down, Left, and Right, obviously the corresponding arrow keys.
    Jump-A
    Attack-S
    Special-X
    Pause-D

Its how I play Emulators, and I feel it fits for this too, imo it makes the gameplay so much more fun.

14. SeanEBlog

SeanEBlog Level 3: Paratroopa

I just use Xpadder to map the controls to what I expect from an SNES game. Start to pause, pad to move, y to attack, b to jump and x for special on the gamepad.

Actually it's 10, 1, 2 and 4 on the game pad but whatever.

15. J Squared

The post you've made describes my setup down to a T, except I map C to where "A" would be on SNES. I, like you, also use Xpadder; it's easily the best known program for its purpose, although I disagree with how the devs have monetized it. Fortunately, I jumped on the Xpadder bandwagon before having to pay for it.

High five for an awesome setup!

16. SeanEBlog

SeanEBlog Level 3: Paratroopa

*Slap*
    Xpadded does allow me to double map the C key so I can have it both ways at the same time. I'm going to try that out.
    cxzxzczxxcxczzcxccxzcxzzxcxxzxzcxzczxczxczxccccccccxzxczxcxzczxczxczxczxzcxz
    Oh, I guess should the load the game up first before I play with the gamepad.

17. J Squared

This is a good idea, and I think I too will do this. Thanks for sharing it.

EDIT: For more post content, I remember Super Mario World did something like this. Both X and Y had the same function, which included stuff like running, grabbing items, tossing fireballs, spinning the cape, and prompting Yoshi to eat whatever was in front of him. One cool thing about this dual-button setup was that it allowed you to execute two functions at the same time; for example, shooting fireballs while carrying a P-Switch. Were this dual-button system not implemented, such functions would be impossible. It allowed for a lot of cool, little-known stuff, like switching directions or adjusting fly speed while flying with a cape.

18. mattex66

All DS Mario (including GBA) games did this as-well, except for the spin-offs and RPGs.

19. J Squared

Actually, the GBA is 2 buttons short of the SNES. Some control-based differences between SMW on SNES and Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (SMA2:SMW) on GBA are as follows. Where SMW scrolls to the left with L and to the right with R, SMA2:SMW incorporates this functionality into just L, inheriting the direction of the screen scroll from the variable in RAM which determines which direction Mario is facing. This frees up R, to which Nintendo assigned the spin jump which, in SMW, was A. Button A in SMA2:SMW then takes over the function of button B in SMW, making Mario execute a normal jump.

Both X / Y in SMW are assigned only to button B in SMA2:SMW, which removes some of the advanced tricks you can do in SMW from SMA2:SMW.

20. zrams5

zrams5 Level 1: Goomba

Up, down, left, right: directional arrows
    Jump: Space
    Attack: Z
    Special: X
    Pause: V

I've been playing emulator games for a long time now and that seems to be my default pathing, granted with SNES I go up a row and use enter for the pause.