decide who's better for smbc sonic or legend of zelda 2 link

Discussion in 'Characters' started by pokemondream, Jan 30, 2011.

1. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

Tloz 2 Link all the way for me: I hate sonic.

Crownjo and Mr.Giang like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Why do so many people want Zelda 2 Link? One of Link's major distinguishing characteristics in this game is that he's always only 1X1. It makes it much easier for him to hit short enemies, tunnel through brick blocks, run under Bowser, and dodge Bullets Bill. Zelda 2 Link would lose this unique trait and be twice as big of a target.

3. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I think Sonic should get in, if only because it leads to further "hide the behind-the-scene-changes" characters (like Luigi and Bass) in future updates. First you do Tails and Knuckles, then you go to the Advance games and Rush from there. Plus it would lead to a Rainbow Dash skin, which is always a plus.

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I don't want Sonic in, but I'd be okay with him if he were added.

But if he starts bringing friends I think I'll actually have to stop playing SMBC.
    MAYBE Tails would be okay.

MAYBE.

5. Lilfut

Tails and Knuckles?
    I can see one wanting to stop at the Advance games, though.

6. fractor

fractor Level 5: Spiny

Someone asked Jay in the AMA if he would add sonic. He said "maybe", so at least it's something he would consider and not lash out for dumb reasons. That's good enough for me.

7. uglyrodent

Really I don't think any series should be represented with more than one character, except the Mario universe since the game is set there.

As awesome as he is, I really don't think Bass should be in the game because we already had Mega Man.

But the thing with Sonic is, and I know this isn't an opinion you'll like, the characters all kind of suck.

There's just...the games are fun. I won't try to deny that. But the writing and art just aren't that good and all the characters are shallow and uninteresting, at least to me.

To be fair, though, I feel the same way about Mega Man, and I like that series a lot more. The characters are just so stupid for the most part.

fractor likes this.
  8. Lilfut

I'm not talking about the characters in terms of story, I'm talking about them in terms of gameplay. Shall I?

Tails has the ability to fly for limited times, which would be useful in SMBC while not being ludicrously overpowered due to the fact that you have to come down, and you're almost defenseless while flying.
    Knuckles can glide and climb, but I'll admit that wouldn't be that useful in SMBC.
    Cream has less flight than Tails, but she can also attack enemies from anywhere on the screen. She's pretty overpowered, but hey.
    Amy has a powerful short-range hammer attack. I think I don't need to say anything more there.
    Blaze has a double jump/glide.

So regardless on your view of the character design or story, the Sonic cast offers plenty of gameplay variation.

9. uglyrodent

I know there's variation, but I still don't like the characters. Playing Mega Man or Simon in SMBC is cool for me because I like those characters and want to experience them in new places, where characters like Bill are fun but don't have that same meaning.

This is of course entirely how I feel, not an actual point. If I were to try and say they outright shouldn't be there, I'd be saying things more along the lines of how none of them aside from Sonic are really icons or even that memorable unless you're a Sonic fan.

10. Lilfut

Give me a full paragraph describing Mega Man's personality and goals.

11. the D

the D Level 5: Spiny

............. Shoot shit.

its a paragraph.

uglyrodent and fractor like this.
  12. Lilfut

At least 5 sentences.

13. uglyrodent

Mega Man has only a simple AI since emotions hadn't been created at the time of the classic series, however what he does have int he way of personality is shown to be basically kind and protective of innocent people. He is fairly harsh to his enemies, but as a battle robot this may be his combat protocols taking over his social programming. He is unable to kill living things, showing either an Aasimovic origin in his programming or some sort of deeply ingrained morality (which would also be programmed; he is LITERALLY unable). His goals are, broadly, to serve mankind. While this is generally shown to be as a kind of hero, he is also a sort of all around helpful person.

In short, he is a generically lawful good robot slave.

Here is Sonic:

Sonic has a deep sense of justice and is kind to all the good people. He stops evil on a regular basis. He loves action and excitement. He also has a snarky attitude and cares deeply for his friends. For more examples of this, see pretty much any popular anime ever. Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and many others all have slight variations on this underlying personality.

I'm not saying Mega Man is a deep character, but he's not a cliche. On top of that, Mega Man has never been made to be a character; that was never the point of the games. That's why Mega Man VIII wasn't great, and why the cartoon has fallen into obscurity; they weren't created to be interesting characters. And neither was Sonic. But instead of rolling with it they started forcing personalities, ad ended up with an army of cliches. If the games placed more focus on the gameplay instead of the story, people wouldn't groan when they hear a new Sonic game is coming out.

They really knew what they were doing at first. I really love the first couple games. I know that Sonic Team can make great games. Hell, Sonic Generations was pretty awesome. And it was awesome because they put the gameplay first. The story was poorly thought out, at least what I saw of it (I played a rented copy and didn't get too far), but it wasn't obnoxious and it didn't try to make a bunch of shallow characters look really deep.

The closest they got was Sonic Adventure 2. The writing was still meh, but the characters were a lot more likable in that one.

Wow I wrote way more than I meant to...

EDIT: I hope I get an A on this project Mr. Lilfut :p

Lilfut likes this.
  14. the D

the D Level 5: Spiny

........... shoot shit. shoot shit. shoot shit. shoot shit. shoot shit.

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. Lilfut

No, I think uglyrodent got it. A-, but only because some of your statements edged dangerously close to fanon.

But wow this went out of control. My point is, regardless of your view of Sonic characters as characters, they do offer variants on the core gameplay. And regardless of whether you enjoy the characters and want to see them in different situations, there are plenty of people out there who do.

uglyrodent likes this.
  16. uglyrodent

I tried to keep it rooted in fact and logic, but they're irritatingly vague on a lot of details. I think that's a fair grade. Maybe a B+; some of my word choice could have been better.

But this is a stupid tangent.

Agreed. I'm just saying I don't want them there, not that they shouldn't be.