Downloadable SMBC?

Discussion in 'Game' started by Shilar, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Screenshot_1.png

Alkerion likes this.
  2. Rolando peralta

Rolando peralta Level 2: Koopa

Its the browser everyone grew up with and now because its 5% less effective than chrome or mozilla nobody likes it.

3. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Fixed

Omicron likes this.
  4. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

The fact it's by Microsoft also plays a big part.. just from that alone. The XBox and 360 were fine (not gonna mention XBox One), I guess.. but when it comes to PCs... whoa.. Microsoft? omg.. DEVIL!

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

wat

6. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

You know it's true. It's always been true. People go out of their way to hate Microsoft, especially when it comes to PCs.
    (not saying they're completely wrong either.. but still)

Omicron and Faruga like this.
  7. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

Fact is, IE6 left a massively bad taste in everybody's mouths. It was a terrible browser with a bizarre, nonstandard method of rendering and more holes than Swiss cheese, and it stuck around for far longer than it should have because, between the time that Netscape died and the time that Firefox became more popular, it had no real competition (and thus, MS had no incentive to improve it). IE8 and up these days are fine browsers (if not as expandable or feature-packed as Firefox or Chrome), but the damage to MS's reputation in the browser world has already been done.

8. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Those who want to download and play the new version offline, I have some bad news.

SMBCError.png

Attempting to play the SWF file from your hard drive gives you the above message. Yeah, which means you can't play the game if your Internet goes down.

9. CuvisTheConqueror

Patron

Does that message show when loading it from HD regardless of whether or not you have an internet connection? Because I was hoping to download it and use it on my phone...

10. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Yes, I had an internet connection when I tried.

11. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

[​IMG]
    Oh my God I really hope this gets fixed, my internet sucks.
    EDIT: every browser I tried the game on won't let me play it at a good speed and the controls become shit, I can't do anything. This MUST be fixed, otherwise I won't be able to play at all.

12. CuvisTheConqueror

Patron

Tried it on my phone using SWFPlayer. It seems to hang on load. Damnit.

EDIT: OTOH, the page loads in Firefox with the applet in place! Woo hoo!

Wait, the applet crashes after the load counter reaches 100%. Damnit Damnit.

13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I think the game should be unlocked for offline play. Just put a default message that says "Please play the game on ExplodingRabbit.com", or "certain information will be unavailable offline" if it's played offline.

I think it was made this way because the game is grabbing live info now for the news ticker and fundraiser counter, as well as having links. But I think locking it to online still is unnecessary.

huang17, Omicron and Develon like this.
  14. Rolando peralta

Rolando peralta Level 2: Koopa

I have last version for offline game, if someone needs it, and if it ok with everyone here. (thanks to ReNeX of course). Just let me know if this is ok and Ill post a link to it.

15. mgman

mgman Level 0: Newbie

Rolando, check your PM :)

16. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Just to clarify, he's got 2.11 playable. 3.0 is not playable offline as is.

17. mgman

Oh, ok. Damnit.

So is SMBC 3.0 not playable offline because it's locked?

18. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Nope. It's because it needs live data from the internet for the news ticker and the SRS Coin Counter. :)

19. mgman

Oh, OK. Hopefully, a version compatible with offline use gets released.

huang17 likes this.
  20. fursphere

fursphere Level 0: Newbie

So.. I'm not going to post the details on how to do this, but its not hard to get the game working "offline".

Basically, the game is looking for a specific file in a specific location on the internet. Use a web sniffer to find it. Then you need to get a lightweight web server running locally to host that same file in the same location (web path). Then you need a host file to redirect traffic.

Good luck to those who understand what I'm talking about.

risingsunjay and aliceandsven like this.