Downloadable SMBC?

Discussion in 'Game' started by Shilar, Sep 24, 2012.

1. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

I know what you're talking about, but it's too much work just for getting it to work, and you have to repeat this procedure on every PC you want to play SMBC on...

2. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Level 1: Goomba
    Patron

There was a point in time where I wanted to be able to play SMBC as a local file, but even if it were an option, I wouldn't. It helps out ER when we visit the site to play the game, and it probably generates more revenue because of the ads. Plus it's nice to see the ticker on the title screen so we can see the news feed, as well as how far along donations are for SRS.

3. mgman

mgman Level 0: Newbie

Alright, well, while it's not hard to understand what you're saying, it's not very practical to do by most people. Sadly, looks like we'll have to wait to see if any special offline version will become available.

4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"There was a point in time where I wanted to be able to play SMBC as a local file, but even if it were an option, I wouldn't. It helps out ER when we visit the site to play the game, and it probably generates more revenue because of the ads. Plus it's nice to see the ticker on the title screen so we can see the news feed, as well as how far along donations are for SRS."

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option. And there are people with limited access to the internet, or occasions where people lose internet access completely, or maybe people just want to be able to play it offline for whatever reason... it's not a sin! I think there was even a person who was interested in setting it up for their custom arcade cabinet.

It's nothing malicious, people enjoy ER's work and will support them whenever they can, it's just an issue of accessibility which is important for many people.

I know you didn't say it shouldn't be an option, I just felt like adding on to that.

Rey D, ThomasMink and Faruga like this.
  5. fursphere

fursphere Level 0: Newbie

I did the work I did to make it work on my custom arcade cabinet. But if the author wants to keep it "online" only, so be it. Those of us that have the means to make it offline will continue to do so.

6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I don't know if I can give the details, but I can't bear not telling you that you are quite wrong. :)

7. fursphere

fursphere Level 0: Newbie

I'm sure that made sense in your head when you wrote it - but its not making any sense in mine. :)

8. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Yea my internet went out yesterday morning from around 7 to 12 so I wasn't able to play.:(

9. Faruga

Patron

Remind me again, why did they package a free memory expansion pack with every copy of DK64?

10. SMBC Hacker

SMBC Hacker Level 1: Goomba

I feel I should write. I was studying the Flash specification in the meantime and experimeting with modifying existing swf's in hex editor. When writing this post I was listening to the sounds coming from SMBC working in my browser in the next card... OFFLINE! And it differs by single bit from original version.
    1. Download SMBC. It should be about 6,5 MB.
    2. Open it with hex-editor
    3. It should begin with FWS, which mean it is not compressed. CWS are compressed and should be decompressed before editing.
    4. Read the hex code until you find: 44 11 08 00 00 00. Change 08 to 09 and save.
    5. Enjoy playing offline version.
    Hope it works for others too.

luigiman64 likes this.
  11. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I can't speak for the ER team, but I feel like you should get their permission before posting how to hack and edit their game in any way (even though I support there being an offline version, it's still polite to get their permission, given that they're such a community friendly team).

12. SMBC Hacker

SMBC Hacker Level 1: Goomba

FALSE ALERT! Ugh...yeah, there is more to be figured out.

I noticed it's not really offline some time later. The modified version is loading faster because it does not download 6 MB from the internet... but without internet it waits with cute black screen until you bring the internet back to get some data from data.explodingrabbit.com/super-mario-bros-crossover/data.txt.gz.

luigiman64 likes this.
  13. TiagoDu

Because of a bug they couldn't figure out how to fix, and that was magically fixed when using the memory expansion. ;)

MissingNo2 likes this.
  14. Faruga

Patron

And why is Wing Commander 4's method of exiting the game so significant?

15. TiagoDu

Never played it, so i dunno.

16. Faruga

Patron

Omicron, Ya Dad and MissingNo2 like this.
  17. TiagoDu

18. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

The thing with SMBC is that on cache-smart browsers like Chrome it can connect a single time to download that data, and subsequent runs will use the cache if otherwise unavailable. So loading the game once with internet will put it in a state where it will work offline indefinitely unless otherwise coded to self-destruct, which it isn't.

Faruga likes this.
  19. TiagoDu

In a nutshell, it IS playable offline, but just with chrome?

20. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I have made it work on IE before (version 2.1).

I'll make a quick test and... nope, it doesn't work in IE anymore (version 3.02).

However...

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

This is expected, since cache mode does basically that, keep commonly used files in a local cache until they change in the host. So having no internet connection on chrome triggers this special mode and allows the game to run offline.

I'll now test IE's cache mode and... nope. No hope for IE. Deal with it, IE sucks major caches.