Verifying downward thrust block break not popping link up

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by money grip, Dec 25, 2013.

1. money grip

money grip Level 2: Koopa

in every other iteration of SMBC link popped up if you jumped and downward thrusted a block at the apex of the jump.

now, you break the block and fall through immediately.

not sure if this is technically a bug, but it's making the game unplayable for me using link (the best and most brokenly powerful character).

apologies if repost.

mariogeek24 likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Unconfirmed (ver. 3.1.21):
    dtmfbrickbounce.png

mariogeek24 likes this.
  3. money grip

i'll post a video at some point. try the top of the jump.

mariogeek24 likes this.
  4. money grip

note how at the apex of the jump, the thrust usually doesn't pop link (cecil) up.

in all previous versions of the game, link would pop up any time he downward thrusted a brick. this behavior is essential for the flow of my play style, so i die all the time now if i play as link, and quickly lose interest.

aliceandsven and Rey D like this.
  5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think I might have experienced that myself.

6. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Hmmm it looks like it depends on how you hit the block. If you land a clear hit from the top you will bounce up, but if you try to jump up and your sword hits the side of the block you will not bounce up. My guess is what happens is that you push your sword into the side of the block so it takes it as the hit come from not the top and it just breaks normally without bouncing you up.

aliceandsven and Rey D like this.
  7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Is this as of 3.1 or 3.1.21?

I don't recall us changing any code that would affect the behavior of either Link's DT or bricks breaking. Green springboard behavior is the only code I can think of that we added that is remotely related to jumping, but that really shouldn't be affecting DT and brick breaking. That's the weird thing with programming, though. Sometimes you change one small thing somewhere and something seemingly unrelated elsewhere stops working correctly.

Faruga likes this.
  8. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I can't even watch the video, it becomes a youtube player with a 2:15 ad when I click on it.

Faruga likes this.
  9. money grip

it's as of the one labeled "final", which i believe was 3.1. also, i recall it being more consistently buggy (fall right through bricks) in the penultimate version (3.1?) and now sort of 50/50, but this could be my mind playing tricks on me.

either way, it started at the latest on the release labeled 'final', and indeed was not there before.

10. wario46

wario46 Level 2: Koopa

This "glitch" was in the game since version 1.0, and i think it is a feature.

11. money grip

the game was downloadable long before 3.0. please replicate the glitch and post a video from an older version of the game, like i did for the current version.

it was not present. if it was, i would have died constantly as link.

12. money grip

so even though all that SAS stuff went down, you guys are still hard at work getting me full downward thrust functionality, right?

13. Rey D

Patron

SMBC's developement stopped for a while now.

Faruga likes this.
  14. money grip

i was kidding :D

anyway, i'm getting used to nerfed link.

re: SAS and kickstarter, all these whiners thought it through even less than exploding rabbit if they thought pushing in $30 automatically pushed back out a game as if you were at best buy. missed the point of this stuff entirely.

me, i don't care what you put out or when. hopefully it's good, best of luck!

15. money grip

hah, i know no one cares but...

i found the "old versions" link, and tested this "bug" on old versions.

it has always been present. i thought it couldn't be the case because i've never experienced it (and i downward thrust constantly). however, my hypothesis is that i was fooled by the level layout in the lost levels.

either way, this should be closed as "not a bug". maybe if you ever made a new SMC you'd want to "fix" it, but it's not something new in 3.0.

16. Rey D

Patron

@money grip : I see. I suppose increased lag doesn't help this case, though, so that could be why you hadn't noticed it before.