Enemy Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

Leftover pixels deleted and pirahna plant skin made taller:bassdash: kid icarus smbc skin - enemies.png
    I'm suprised no-ones complained about the lakitu yet.

2. Nat

Oh by the way, I only just joined the forums tuesday. So hai.:awesome:

3. Yokuro Ado

Yokuro Ado Level 2: Koopa

Kid Icarus-enemies!!! (-l[]l-)!

4. Nat

Yah kid icarus enemies:bassdash:

5. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I'm going to repost all of my old enemy skins from the old thread here. They're in the earlier format, so I apologize for that. I'm busy with other work, so I won't have time to update them.

SMB3
    [​IMG]

SMB3 "Tiny Island"
    [​IMG]

Nintendo Arcade
    [​IMG]

Nintendo Entertainment System
    [​IMG]

Kid Icarus
    [​IMG]

Namco (Two boss choices)
    [​IMG]

Cave Story
    [​IMG]

And from before that template was released... (I may make time to update this one.)

Metroid
    [​IMG]

6. Nat

I've already done a kid icarus skin in new format.

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ you didn't need to quote the whole post to say just this. :p

But anyway,
    there was something planned with something about 8 circles of Hell. I forgot who started this and I don't know what it has been since I last saw it.

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Johnny started it, but I haven't seen him around in a while. Is he still active at all?

9. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Johnny started that and it kinda petered out because nobody really agree on how it would work and we didn't care enough to work it out (also Johnny isn't what you'd call "active").

10. ChozoBoy

There were at least two done in the old format, and none agree on the same enemies. (I doubt yours is the same as either.) It's up to the ER team to decide which are used.

11. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Wow; no one's going to beat me to it?
    Well...

[​IMG]
    (If it's all scaled-down, right-click "Copy Image Location" and paste into address bar)

CF PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS THE ROBOT ARMY.
    Still a bit of a work in progress, but I've been working on this all day. I feel like I've got a good variety of enemies in here, and I'll make a finished version based on feedback.
    > Goombas are Sewer Mets or "Lazy Mets" from Mega Man 10. I was considering making this a generic animal grunt, but those wouldn't fit in the box. Death sprite is a crushed helmet--since only Mario and Luigi will see those, I think it fits.
    > Spike Tops are the enraged form of a curious enemy resembling a scholar, who becomes incredibly angry when you shoot their glasses off in Mega Man 6. Given that this guy has a spiky top and just looks angry in general, I thought it fit a bit more than a spiked version of my choice for Buzzy.
    >Cheep Cheeps are propeller fish that appeared in Mega Man 4. They were the only fish that wouldn't require scaling to fit, and their animation only had two frames, so...yeah.
    > Piranha Plants are replaced with beartraps from Hard-Man's stage in Mega Man 3. I don't know what the difference is between a green and red, so these maintained their original colors.
    > Bloobers replaced with Scuba Mets. While not exactly squid-shaped, I think their animation fits the role well.
    > After much editing to a cloud platform, Lakitu became a ball-launching enemy from Mega Man 5. Of course, he's not launching a ball now...
    > Buzzy Beetles are now spring-loaded enemies from Mega Man 2. Although he has no walking animation, I thought its toughness made it fit the role well. It closes its eyes when it's knocked out, and it does spin when kicked.
    > Spinies are now miniature spiders from Mega Man 10 (Their eggs being the descending sprites). I've tried to add spikes to the top, in order to make them look like they couldn't be jumped on. Is it clearly indicated?
    > Flying Cheep Cheep sprites (?) replaced with propeller-based hovering enemies from Mega Man 4. These guys would chase the player in gameplay rather than jump up out of pits, but I still think it's a good indicator.
    > Hammer Bros. replaced with Picketmen...well, not quite. Its bottom half is an edited version of Crazy Razy's bottom half. I'd been plotting this since I first heard about skinning, so I wanted to make them look good.
    > Hammers are now pickaxes. Now explanation required.
    > Koopas are now Metools! One iconic enemy deserves another, I say. Their default orange has been changed with the NES palette to show the difference between Red Mets and Green Mets. The Parakoopa sprites are now the Propeller Mets in Mega Man 10, and like the spring-loaded guys, their helmets do spin when kicked.
    > Bullet Bills are replaced with a close lookalike from Snake-Man's stage in Mega Man 3. What I can only guess is a poof of smoke when they are fired has also been changed to resemble the clouds that normally surround them.
    > The fireball is now a projectile--the fireball Mega Man shoots when equipped with the Fire Storm. No explanation needed.
    > Some...fire effects I don't know where go? They have been recolored with fire that the shielded enemies in Magma-Man's stage shot.
    > The firebars are now the weak form of the Atomic Fire; mostly because they're just the right size. If you look closely, you'll notice that the animation has them switch between Atomic Fire's colors and Fire Storm's colors.
    > Bowser himself is now SunStar, from Mega Man V (Game Boy). I initially thought of making it Fire-Man, but SunStar is actually about the same height as Bowser, and I decided to make it someone who was stronger in the series. His colors came from this video. Naturally, his "breathe fire" animation is his shoot sprites, and his fire is a fire projectile that he shot with Fire Storm's colors. His death animation is a color inversion--back in Mega Man V, rapid color inversions would indicate being hit, so I think it fits for his death animation. Besides, I think it shouldn't flash quickly enough to cause seizures.
    > More fire I don't know where goes. It was recolored with fire that the shielded enemies in Magma-Man's stage shot, as well.
    > I don't know quite what the star-explosion is for, but I recolored it with NES instead of SNES until someone tells me what it is.

Nat, TheomanZero, roman6a and 3 others like this.
  12. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Not a fan of that Boss, but loving the rest of the skin!

Edit: you know what, ignore what I wrote a second ago, the boss works.

13. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

In Lost Levels, red Piranha Plants still come out of their pipes when you're next to or on top of them. Jay's mentioned that the Lost Levels will eventually be added, so their inclusion in the template is probably just in preparation for that.

14. WilyNumber13

WilyNumber13 Level 2: Koopa

Actually they do stop if you stand directly on top of where they come out. If you stand just on the lip of the pipe they still come out however.

15. sbq92

I started one of these a long time ago, back when we first got the unofficial enemy sheet. I never did finish it, though.

I was going to put some together for the Mega Man level skins I am planning to make. This does look good, although, I do have a few suggestions:

The pickman looks a little odd, but I realize you had to resize him, since he's normally too wide. I would also go with something different than a Met for a Goomba. Goombas are supposed to be squishy, whereas Mets are supposed to be quite the opposite. :) I am also not really sure about the colored Mets. I would instead keep them yellow but change the color of the little cross on their helmets. If you think about it, in-game you never actually really need to know what color the Koopa is. It was a design to distinguish the way they move, but the player is usually moving fast enough and just killing everything anyway that the colors aren't really that important. The colored cross can still give an indication of what Met it is, though. I would also make the helmet upside-down, since that would make a bit more sense for spinning around on the ground, and then also it would look cute to have the Met's feet sticking up out of the upside-down helmet. :) Lastly, I might change Sunstar. Not that he doesn't look good, but he's not as well known. A different fire boss would probably work better, such as Fire Man or Heat Man or Flame Man. Still, he could work. :)

uglyrodent likes this.
  16. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Good, because I saw your suggestions. They would have barely fit on the bridge, let alone, in the sprite box.

I see. Well, the bear traps deliberately popped out only when the player was on top, so I think it'll be fine to leave their colors as is.

Take note, folks; this is the sort of feedback I love.

Not a whole lot I can do about that, really.
    You're in luck, pal--one generic enemy grunt flew over my head...
    I initially thought of that, considering how the MMX Metools have green crosses, but I decided against it. It would break the color limit, for one--and even though SunStar already does break that limit, I'd rather not mess it up even more. In addition, such an indicator would be too small to be quickly noted when a person is running as quickly as you imply.
    Also, I believe a Metool would be helpless in that situation, and the Koopas don't flip upside down like that, so it wouldn't make any sense.
    Well, if you took a look at what the first guy I replied to said, he initially wanted me to use someone else so that SunStar could be made as a skin--then, of course, he noticed SunStar was far too tall to be a good skin. This is partially the reason I didn't use any other fire-based boss--people might want to skin them. Unfortunately for me, most iconic Wily bosses aren't small, so I just tried to pick out someone powerful and feared in-game. This might've been Bass...if he weren't now playable. D:
    Again, SunStar is so close to Bowser's height, it won't cause a lot of hitbox confusion, so I'm sticking with him.
    [​IMG]
    Final version unless it gets rejected or something.
    > Lazy Mets changed to some penguins from Mega Man 3. Given that they're actual animals, they fit the "squishy" role a little better. Death sprite is just a crushed-down and cleaned-up version of the second frame.
    > Added some spikes to the spider's descending frames.
    > Removed the "shell hits wall" animation and the flames with an unknown source (I discovered the bottom ones come from fire breath, and I thought they'd look cool that way, so I left then there). They were just a tad too fancy for an 8-bit skin.
    > Fixed a small error with the Metool's helmet rotation pattern.
    > Moved Picketman's shield back a bit, to remove a little awkwardness around the face.
    > Transparent background added.

silentshadowxp, sbq92 and uglyrodent like this.
  17. sbq92

All your points made sense. I like your change of the met to the penguin. :)

I do still think the mets just look weird when they aren't yellow. Your reasoning for making them green and red makes sense, but they just look odd. The NES did have a way of allowing for more colors on a sprite. If you take a look at Mega Man as a whole, he actually has 5 colors rather than just 3. His face is a separate sprite. You could assume the little cross is a separate sprite and make it a different color. :) As I mentioned before, the green/red color difference really isn't that important. A different colored cross should be enough to indicate that it's a different Met.

uglyrodent likes this.
  18. ChozoBoy

uglyrodent likes this.
  19. WilyNumber13

WilyNumber13 Level 2: Koopa

I have to disagree on the colored Mets looking "odd." They're just fine if you ask me, and just changing the color of the cross is far too small of a detail to be easily noticed quickly.

As for the bear traps, it is actually very important to be able to tell whether a Piranha Plant is green or red, play Lost Levels for any decent length of time and you will realize this.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  20. sbq92

I think people greatly overestimate the need to be able to readily distinguish the colors. Play through the game with the GB filter on and see if it causes you any problems.