Enemy Skins?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by yerffej, Feb 17, 2011.

1. yerffej

yerffej Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

With the recent announcement of enemies being skinnable, a section about this should start somewhere. Here's a good one to start out with, enemies from "All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros."
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pokemondream

pokemondream Level 5: Spiny

looks aweso'me

3. yerffej

yerffej Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Are there any mods that want to be a dove and move this thread to the proper section?

4. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

You know Skins are nice and all, but some times I find myself wondering how cool it would be to see most enemies as they are and how they act from their respective games. You know how many times I see the hammer bros. jumping in place, and imagine that they are the sniper guys from contra SHOOTING at you? That would be so awesome!

Just a reflection really, not an actual suggestion. But hey, if Jay wants to run with it....

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Looks great, yerffej! I would say the "official" sheet would need to have a little space around each one, though, so that some slightly larger skins could be used. For example, I have tried turning Goombas into Metools, but and it turns out Metools are wider (18 pixels rather than 16). Jay is putting extra space around the character skins, so I'm guessing the enemy skins will have it as well.

6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Moving per request. Please don't stick your arms or legs out of the windows. Stay seated until we come to a full stop.

7. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Gave this a shot, just for show. :p

[​IMG]

Ridster is much larger, so I tucked in Fake Kraid.
    A few of these were tough and don't work perfectly, but its not bad.

8. aliceandsven

This just made me realize how absolutely strange it's going to be to cover SMB enemies with skins from other games. There's no enemy in SMBC that moves like those flying squiggly darters from Metroid.

9. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Here's a template for the enemy sheet we're currently using. I thought you guys might want to start messing around with it. And keep in mind this isn't the official version.

Those color palettes on the side tell which colors the enemies change to, but you can just ignore it for now. And don't worry about the duplicate sprites. I'll explain it later.

[​IMG]

10. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Mr. Pavlina, I have a question.

I'm thinking of drumming up an MM enemy set, but I need to know something first.
    In the way the game is programmed, are the two Goomba sprites separate, or is one a translation of the other? I need to know because if it's the latter, I'll have to think of something else to make the Goomba.

11. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

They're two separate sprites, so Goomba's can have a two frame animation. We could have done a flip of the first frame for the second but it was more programming work and wouldn't allow a lot of customization for Goombas.

12. ChozoBoy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here's another that I tossed together, arcade style. 2 from Donkey Kong, 2 from DK Jr, 2 from DK 3, 4 from Mario Bros. (plus fireballs), and 2 from Wrecking Crew. Didn't tinker with the palettes or anything. (Sorry about the opaque background, too.)

13. sbq92

Hmm... Enemies from the Mega Man series are hard to implement. The sprites are rather large, for the most part, including a lot of the best choices... :(

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

That's incredible! I really loved how you implemented characters from every pre-Super Mario game in creative ways.

Jay, when you read this...I highly recommend you consider using this sheet as a sample for enemy skins in the next update.

15. ChozoBoy

Glad you dig it, man. Here's another. This theme was Nintendo games that would otherwise go unused for enemy skins. Sort of a mish-mash like the last one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

You'll see Gyromite, Stack-Up, Ice Climbers, Balloon Fight, Duck Hunt, Mother (Earthbound), Excitebike, Devil World, and Tetris.

Edit: Now that I think about it, underground Excitebiker palette ought to not have black.

16. aliceandsven

the Lakitu one confuses me.... it transforms into a person from a UFO before throwing a devil thing?

17. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Looking good guys. It makes me want to get this update out! It will still be a while though. :(

18. sbq92

Here's most of a Mega Man enemy sheet. A few things haven't been changed yet, but most have been.

[​IMG]

Anter likes this.
  19. ChozoBoy

The "Lakitu" is from Mother (Earthbound) and the "Spinies" are from Devil World, which is unrelated. I started with the UFO for Lakitu, but noticed the Starman fit as well so he just sort of snuck in. It's supposed to be a little weird, because that series is kinda weird, with Giygas and all the other wacky things that go on in it.

Anyway, if Jay thinks its too much, (and it probably is) I'd probably just stick with Starman Jr. since he's more iconic (and not rotated). Maybe have him move a pixel or two for his "toss" animation.

[​IMG]

Came up with a few neat alt color schemes. (Dry Bones, Spiny Cheep-Cheep, various Hammer Bros, etc.) Missing the Koopa Shell spin and couldn't find Missile Bill sprites for his alt.

Edit: I think the Roto-Disc should have more sprites, but that is what I found. The Bowser fireballs don't look like what I see on YouTube, but were included with his sprites on Spriters Resource.

20. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Awesome job guys. I really need to find time to figure out how to do it